Search by size on disk

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
fhickler

Search by size on disk

Post by fhickler »

I was under the impression that one could search for files by their size on disk (as opposed to size, which might be different if one has oneDrive with some files stored in the cloud). I've put in "size-on-disk:>50mb", "sizeondisk:>50mb", "allocation-size:>50mb", "allocationsize:>50mb" into the search field and nothing comes up. I have also put in "size:>50mb" which does work, so I know I'm using the application correctly (even though it's not the criterion I want).

Is it possible to search by Size On Disk, and if so how?
Last edited by NotNull on Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Everything 1.5 forum
raccoon

Re: Search by size on disk

Post by raccoon »

In Everything 1.5 Alpha, it is entirely possible to sort objects by their Size on Disk (files only) property, or their Total Size on Disk (files or folders) property.

To do this, either:

- Right-click the column headers and select Add Columns... from the menu. Type "size" into the search filter. Select Size on Disk or Total Size on Disk. Use Ctrl+Click for multi-selection. Click OK. Then sort the new column header by clicking on it to make Everything populate the property values. Only items matching the current search filter will populate. These property values will be forgotten when you close the Everything window.

- Or. Go to Options -> Indexes -> Properties and add the desired property from there with the desired indexing parameters for folders and file types. After applying the changes, Everything will immediately begin indexing the Size on Disk property for all indexed objects, and will not be forgotten after closing Everything.

Extra property indexing can be time consuming.

Now you can use size-on-disk: or sizeondisk: or total-size-on-disk: or totalsizeondisk: as search keywords.
LeoLUG

Post by LeoLUG »

Related to this topic, just find it out this week,
I wanted to find big files I don't need them on my local drive, by searching for big size I got also all the files stored in the cloud,
this search was wonderful:

Code: Select all

file: size:>100MB !sizeondisk:=0

Everything is the best!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything is not cloud aware.

Please be careful you are not deleting these files from your local disk and also from the cloud.

In Everything, size on disk means the file size rounded up to the nearest cluster size.
This has nothing to do with the cloud.

If you are looking for the true size on disk, use the allocation size property.