New Everything Window from Folder

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

New Everything Window from Folder

Post by meteorquake »

Probably I'm not alone in having Everything open on something and often wanting to explore some folder (from Explorer or Everything) in a new Everything window, keeping the old one open rather than replacing it.

I think settings could usefully have a second option along with the existing "Show Search Everything folder context menu item" that says,
"Show Search Everything (New Window) folder context menu item" or some abbreviate form for people to tick.
Alternatively (or as well) if the existing one detected holding down the Shift or Ctrl key it could implement the concept on the existing one.

In a similar vein, if you are on a folder in Everything it would be great to be able to open it in a new Everything window, for example by Shift-Enter on the folder (given Enter and Ctrl-Enter both have existing uses). That would be a great shortcut and currently the combination does nothing (on mine).

I would certainly use such a thing a lot myself. Currently I have to get the folder's path, create a new everything window and paste the path in enclosing it in quotes, which is cumbersome.

Cheers!

David
tuska

Re: New Everything Window from Folder

Post by tuska »

Hi,
meteorquake wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:31 pm ... often wanting to explore some folder (from Explorer or Everything) in a new Everything window ...
Tools -> Options -> General: Keyboard -> New window Hotkey, e.g.: SHIFT+PAUSE or SHIFT+Arrow-up key
... opens a new window in Everything and inserts the path from Windows Explorer into the search box.
meteorquake wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:31 pm In a similar vein, if you are on a folder in Everything it would be great to be able to open it in a new Everything window, ...
In the search result, mark a folder or the path with a right click (this marks the line),
then click on the context menu entry "Search Everything 1.5a...". *)
This opens the folder in a new Everything window.

*) Tools -> Options -> General: [x] Show Search Everything folder context menu item (-> Note the tooltip).

Very detailed information including pictures and technical information from 23.1.2021:
Search Everything... folder context menu item

Regards,
Karl
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Hello Karl, I don't find either of what you are finding happens.

Creating a New window Hotkey and using it doesn't for me insert the path from Windows Explorer into the search box as you are finding. It just opens a blank search bar and the corresponding results of that.

If I right-click a folder in Everything and choose Search Everything... for me it opens in the existing window, not a new window as you find. This perhaps will be because it is my default to reuse windows. But I am wanting the option to override and have a new window on occasions...

Cheers, David
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try customizing your Search Everything... context menu item command:
  • From the Start menu, search for regedit
  • Right click Registry Editor and click Run as an administrator.
  • Navigate to:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Search Everything...\command
  • Change the (Default) data to:
    "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -path "%1" -new-window
    (Use -no-new-window if you want to reuse the existing window)
  • Navigate to:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Search Everything...\command
  • Change the (Default) data to:
    "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -path "%1" -new-window
I will consider an UI option to do this.
Thank you for the suggestion.

-new-window
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Cheers - I was thinking to make a registry entry in the meanwhile!
The ability to do it more cleanly (particularly by a keyboard combination on an everything folder) would be great.
David
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

meteorquake wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:23 am The ability to do it more cleanly (particularly by a keyboard combination on an everything folder) would be great.
Such a possibility exists for a keyboard combination IN an everything folder. Would that help you?
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Hello NotNull - you'll have to elaborate! It may be useful at times even if not identical...!
Cheers, David
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

• In the Everything search bar, type the following and press ENTER:

Code: Select all

/hotkey_explorer_path_search=1

• Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General > Keyboard
  • In the New window Hotkey field, type your keyboard shortcut, let's say ALT + SHIFT + N
  • Press the OK button
  • Done!
Now you can press that keyboard shortcut in File Explorer and Everything will open withe the currently active Explorer directory in the seqrch bar.