Orientation function not working

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Mizufluffy

Orientation function not working

Post by Mizufluffy »

First of all, thank you for a wonderful search tool. I've been using Everything since last year and it has totally changed how I use my computer.

I recently installed 1.5a alongside with 1.4 to try out new features and to see all improvements. It has been working great so far except for one thing, orientation:portrait and orientation:landscape don't seem to work anymore in 1.5.0.1264a but the same search in 1.4.1.1005 works and provides results. To make the search faster I tend to have other search terms but even something as simple as

Code: Select all

pic: parent:"path_to_folder_with_images" orientation:landscape
gives absolutely nothing in 1.5a even though the same search works in 1.4 (obviously path_to_folder_with_images is replaced by the real path). Without orientation: function and with just pic: and parent: the images under the path are shown correctly as results.

I'm curious to know why orientation: has stopped working. If it is a configuration etc. problem on my end then I'd love to know what do I need to do to fix it but if it is a bug then I'm looking forward to a patch that would fix it.

Also, I made a quick search on the forum and found this about orientation: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6910&p=26997&hilit= ... ion#p26992. I realize that post is a few years old but is that mentioned ratio property coming up in the future? It sounds like something I'd like.
NotNull

Re: Orientation function not working

Post by NotNull »

It doen'st give results here either (v 1.5.0.161 x64).

What *does* work:
instead of using orientation:landscape and orientation:portrait, use aspect-ratio:>1 and aspect-ratio:<1 respectively

(so your wish is already granted :D)

Quick tip:
In Everything 1.5 you can add extra columns next to Name, Path, Size, etc.
Useful for your case might be: Height, Width, Aspect-ratio, Dimensions and *a lot* more.
Just right-click one of the column headers, for example 'Name' and find your way.
(and If not: just ask or check this)
Mizufluffy

Post by Mizufluffy »

Cool! This is fantastic! It's gonna be a little bit more difficult to remember than portrait or landscape but aspect ratio in a long run is gonna be a lot more versatile.

Something I noticed when testing aspect-ratio. On a search field it works but if I use it in a filter or bookmark and use it through a macro, for example

search: 
aspect-ratio:>1

macro:
landscape
and

search: 
aspect-ratio:<1

macro:
portrait
Then only portrait: works and landscape: does not. Any idea why?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I think the orientation: function still needs some work (it is an alpha version after all ...).
I expect that in the future that will work again as you are used to.
Not sure of course, as I am not the developer.

Mizufluffy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:47 pm Then only portrait: works and landscape: does not. Any idea why?
Surprisingly, I do :) I think you found a bug!

When using the filter, it is expanded in the background to a very long search- string in between < and >.
The > in aspect-ratio:>1 messes that up and you get < .... aspect-ratio:>1 >, which confuses (the current) Everything as it sees the frst > as the closing one.

Luckily, there is a workaround (for now; this will probably be fixed in a future version):

Replace the > with the &gt: macro, resulting in:

search: 
aspect-ratio:&gt:1

macro:
landscape
Mizufluffy

Post by Mizufluffy »

Thanks for the workaround!
I'm just glad I was able to have some kind of portrait and landscape macros, and also fix a few of broken bookmarks with that workaround.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback Mizufluffy,

orientation: was changed in 1.5 to search the system 'orientation' property.

The following searches are currently supported:
  • orientation:Normal
  • orientation:Rotate 90 degress
  • orientation:Rotate 180 degress
  • orientation:Rotate 270 degress
  • orientation:Transverse
  • orientation:Transpose
  • orientation:"Flip horizontal"
  • orientation:"Flip vertical"
I will add the following for compatibility in the next alpha update:
  • orientation:"landscape"
  • orientation:"portrait"