Help with search operators (How to search system index and Everything index)

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
SeanBannister

Help with search operators (How to search system index and Everything index)

Post by SeanBannister »

I'm trying to perform a search using the system index for example:
si:"justin bieber boyfriend wav"

This work great. But I'd also like to search the regular Search Everything index at the same time, I tried:
si:"justin bieber boyfriend wav" | justin bieber boyfriend wav

But this only searches the Everything index. What does work is the following search but it performs an exact match on the Everything index and I was looking for a fuzzy search:
si:"justin bieber boyfriend wav" | "justin bieber - boyfriend"

Just wondering what I'm missing to make this search work? I'm just trying to search the System index and search everything index with the same search terms at the same time.
therube

Re: Help with search operators (How to search system index and Everything index)

Post by therube »

I know nothing of (Windows) "system index" (& have virtually nothing "indexed" - Start Menu, only),
but I find it odd that 'si:"justin bieber boyfriend wav"' finds (presumably) "justin bieber boyfriend.wav"?

As in when using si: even though your search is in quotes, the quotes don't cause the search to be searched, literally.
(Though that is the case, that si:"justin bieber boyfriend wav" will find "justin bieber boyfriend.wav".)

Anyhow, your OR search, I would think should be turning up the very same result?

Do you in fact have a file name with the words justin AND bieber AND boyfriend AND wav, in it?
What does a search for
justin bieber boyfriend
return?
SeanBannister

Re: Help with search operators (How to search system index and Everything index)

Post by SeanBannister »

Here's an example (below) you'll notice for the first result I show the ID3 tags so you can see what Everything is matching on. I agree it's weird that si: requires quotes around the search term but still does a fuzzy match.

M-0005947.WAV - Is coming from system index
Justin Bieber - Boyfriend (Tim Hox Extended Remix) [White Label].wav - is coming from Search Everything index.

I work in the music industry so couldn't do a test for just "justin bieber boyfriend" to many results in this library,

therube

Post by therube »

Oh, so si: is reading (Windows) "indexed" tag-like content (contained it in its' index) so the si: search is finding that data (because the file named "M-0005947" happens to contain what you searched for).

That said, you have no file named "justin beaver..." - only the file, M-0005947.wav.

Your OR search is looking for "justin beaver..." - which does not exist (so nothing is returned for that).

(In Everything 1.5 alpha) you can do a non-si: search for specific tag information, like title:boyfriend.
(I don't know if "title:boyfriend" is actually valid, but...)

So something like
ext:wav title:boyfriend
or
ext:wav title:boyfriend artist:"justin beaver"
or ...
(Again I don't know if I've got the syntax/terms correct or not.)
(Those are rather broad searches, as it will look in all your .wav files, so if you have many [& can filter futher...]...)

si:"justin bieber boyfriend wav" | ext:wav title:boyfriend artist:"justin beaver"
SeanBannister

Post by SeanBannister »

The problem with that search is its becoming to specific, I really need a fuzzy search, I'm sure there must be a way to solve my use case searching for the same fuzzy search between system index and everything index.
tuska

Post by tuska »

SeanBannister wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:58 pm ... I really need a fuzzy search, ...
support for fuzzy logic search ?
therube

Post by therube »

Considering there is no correlation between the file name (by default what Everything searches for) & the (Windows gathered) si: data, you have to, in some fashion tell the normal Everything search to search a files "meta-data".

Now...

You can display a filename column (Property), that contains the filename of the file for which the si: data was found.

So if you search si:"justin bieber boyfriend wav", you can have an additional column displayed [Display Name, I think is the wanted Property] that shows the associated file name, "M-0005947.WAV".
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Does the following give you the desired results?

Code: Select all

si:"justin bieber boyfriend wav" | < justin bieber boyfriend wav > 
The < > grouping operators keep the ustin bieber boyfriend wav search together.
SeanBannister

Post by SeanBannister »

thanks NotNull, that works perfectly!!!
therube

Post by therube »

OK, what am I missing?
Why does the OR part need the grouping (in order for the si: part to also have an effect)?
Everything - SI Why.png
Everything - SI Why.png (45.16 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
froggie

Post by froggie »

therube wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:50 pm OK, what am I missing?
Why does the OR part need the grouping (in order for the si: part to also have an effect)?
Everything - SI Why.png
Because you have operator precedence set to OR>AND

si:X | W Y Z is evaluated as <si:X OR W> AND Y AND Z (or look at it as <si:X AND Y AND Z> OR <W AND Y AND Z> )
therube

Post by therube »

Because you have operator precedence set to OR>AND
Sure enough, I do.

Ah, thanks.

(2nd. time now that there has been a case where AND > OR - but... still not for me ;-).)