Status Bar format variables names are confusing

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Status Bar format variables names are confusing

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Under the

Tools > Options > Advanced

users can define, among other settings, what and how the Status Bar should look like. Unfortunately the names used there

statusbar_format
statusbar_selected_item_format
statusbar_selection_format

are confusing. A user can figure out which is which empirically but it should not be a test of a user's deduction skills and / or knowledge of tautology. Hence I propose renaming them to

statusbar
statusbar_item_selected
statusbar_items_selected

so that users would not have to revert to trial and error or to re-reading this post viewtopic.php?p=40544#p40544
therube

Re: Status Bar format variables names are confusing

Post by therube »

tautology
You're not allowed to use that word - until you tell me what it means.
Maybe I should say, "you're not allowed to use that word - until you tell me what it means because I don't know what it means".
(Did I do that correctly?)
(I find the whole concept conceptually confusing.)
Advanced
That's why they're advanced ;-).

While we're here...

stem:, completely meaningless to me.
Likewise, "path".

That said, I'm sure these advanced variable names are the very same as used internally in the code, & so are, for very good reason.
So because you or I may not fully grasp their meaning is kind of irrelevant.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

This is not about changing their inner-workings but merely how they are presented to users- it took me way too much time to come up with this change viewtopic.php?p=57291#p57291 in my Status Bar, partially on the account of this very issue. I am not a programmer but I reckon all it takes is to open every file with code in a professional text editor and use replace feature on all of them at once thus changing the same data in all of the code

And for comparison: FreeCommander in its INI files uses colors info coded to gibberish form like 2369580 instead of well known and used RGB or HTML palettes [e.g. 256 256 256 and #000000]. And the problem with this is that there are dozens of places in FreeCommander where colors can be adjusted - and there are some glitches with some of the features [places]. And so if you embark in FreeCommander on a quest of working around them and not using GUI but bravely digging into INI file - then I say to you "goodluck with that", as you gonna need a lot of it, in order to not loose your sanity and have your life energy not drained out
void
Developer

Post by void »

I need to rewrite the statusbar formatting documentation as it has evolved quite a bit since development started on Everything 1.5.

I will consider renaming these settings.

Thank you for the suggestion.

There are three formatting options for the statusbar:

statusbar_format - used when there's no selection.
statusbar_selected_item_format - used when there's a single item selected.
statusbar_selection_format - used when there's multiple items selected.