Multiple Instances - why Administrator privileges for new shortcuts?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

Multiple Instances - why Administrator privileges for new shortcuts?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

MultipleInstances_03.png
I am learning about multiple instances. I thought to create two new instances following the instructions here.
I started a dedicated topic Removing all Traces of Everything with Uninstall
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on Fri May 12, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NotNull

Re: Multiple Instances - why Administrator priveleges for new shortcuts?

Post by NotNull »

If the Everything 1.5 service is already installed and running, you should not get this message.
The new instance will re-use the existing service.

Run the following command from the CMD prompt to see if it is installed/running:

Code: Select all

sc.exe query "everything (1.5a)"

Anyway .. for system drives ("your C:-drive") you need the service (Windows limitation).
For other drives (Y:, Z:, T:) this is not needed and you can select Manual configuration

But there is no harm in installing the service; then you are good either way.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:38 pm If the Everything 1.5 service is already installed and running, you should not get this message.
The new instance will re-use the existing service.
Run the following command from the CMD prompt to see if it is installed/running:

NotNull, thank you for the debugging steps here.
Remember that at this point I have only (a) created two copies of a shortcut link (b) renamed my three shortcut links and (c) modified the targets of my shortcut links. I have not yet modified the Tools, Options arrived at by executing the shortcut links.
MultipleInstances_04.png
MultipleInstances_04.png (25.98 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Odd! So Everything Service was NOT running since I re-installed?
That's funny. Since I am (these days) in the business of [re]installing and a version Everything-1.5.0.1344a.x64-Setup has been released, would you prefer I uninstall and then install 1344?
Selfish of me I know, but if i am somehow NOT uninstalling correctly, or if i am no installing correctly, I would like to track this down for the sake of documentation.
Anyway .. for system drives ("your C:-drive") you need the service (Windows limitation).
For other drives (Y:, Z:, T:) this is not needed and you can select Manual configuration
But there is no harm in installing the Everything Service; then you are good either way.
Setting aside the puzzle as to why the Everything Service appears to be not installed, from the novice user's point of view, and in the business of Named Instances, making sure that the Everything Service is installed is a requirement, correct?
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (24.09 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
I ran Task Manager and see only this appearance of Everything; nothing with "Everything" in its name in the sections "Background Processes" and "Windows processes".

Thanks again.
Chris
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

The CMD output tells us that the Everything 1.5 service is not installed.
Best to select the "Install the Everything service" option when that dialog pops up.
Or install it manually in menu:Tools > options > General.

BTW:
If you installed Everything using "Everything-1.5.0.<version>-Setup.exe", the options you chose during install are in the registry.
That way an update can enable the same installation options.
That way you can check if you enabled the service the last time.

To check the registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\voidtools\Everything 1.5a in regedit.

Or from the CMD prompt:

reg.exe query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\voidtools\Everything 1.5a"

( I hope the Run as administrator installation option will be removed before going beta; it causes way more problems than it solves. It can still be activated in the Options if needed)
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:12 pm Or from the CMD prompt:

reg.exe query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\voidtools\Everything 1.5a"
Thank you NotNull.
A confession: I got impatient and chose the default option to start playing around with two named instances then got sidetracked onto a different (external) project.
FWIW I ran the command AFTER choosing the default option:-
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (51.72 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
This puzzles me if "InstallService=0" means "don't install it", because choosing that default option ("impatient" above) ought to have set the registry to "1", right?
(signed) "Puzzled 90% of the time" in Bonavista.
P.S. I am edging to an UNinstall followed by an install of Everything-1.5.0.1344a.x64-Setup
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

The defaults are based on the preferences you chose in the past.
So if you unchecked Install the Everything Service (recommended) during a past setup, that will be the remembered and will be the new default during a following setup.

Example: I manually changed the registry key for Installservice to =0 (was: 1)

Installation after that:
2023-05-05 00_05_16-voidtools forum - Post a reply — Mozilla Firefox.png
2023-05-05 00_05_16-voidtools forum - Post a reply — Mozilla Firefox.png (78.49 KiB) Viewed 1911 times

After changing it back to =1 :
2023-05-05 00_08_37-Everything Setup - Everything (1.5a).png
2023-05-05 00_08_37-Everything Setup - Everything (1.5a).png (21.8 KiB) Viewed 1911 times

Uninstalling/re-installing is no problem; If you want the defaults to be Everything-default and no longer matching your preferences:
- Uninstall Everything
- Delete the registry key mentioned above
- Install Everything
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:09 pm The defaults are based on the preferences you chose in the past.
NotNull>> If the Everything 1.5 service is already installed and running, you should not get this message.

I now suspect I get the message because I had used RevoUninstaller in an experimental uninstall. Void has pointed out that the deep scan of RevoUninstaller takes out registry values that should be useful after a re-installation. That is, RevoUninstaller assumes that this is to be a Clean Wipe of the application ...

NotNull>> That way an update can enable the same installation options.

... which, I think, you confirm with this hint.

NotNull>> The defaults are based on the preferences you chose in the past.

I now agree. My plan is to do one last RevoUninstaller and wipe away every hint of Everything, but from this time forwards to use the Windows Control Panel to uninstall Everything (using “Programs and Features”)

As much as I can, I am trying to be a novice user and use all default settings. If nothing else that should make it easier for Gurus to tackle my other problems related to Everything. It’s just that Using RevoUninstaller has become such a habit over the years ...

I am going to include this advice in the User Tutorial "UninstallingEverything.doc".

Thanks for your deep help!
Cheers, Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:38 pmRun the following command from the CMD prompt to see if it is installed/running:

Hi NotNull.
I have this morning uninstalled 1343a and installed 1344a.
I ran the command and received this:-
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (31.03 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
I suspect this means that my clean install of 1344a has successfully included and started the Everything Service?
Thanks, Chris
NotNull

Re: Multiple Instances - why Administrator privileges for new shortcuts?

Post by NotNull »

Correct!

Your previous output indicated that the service was not installed.
And the current output shows that the service is installed ànd wuth STATE = RUNNING.

You made your Everything happy ... :D
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:42 pm Correct!
NotNull, Thank you for this confirmation.
You made your Everything happy ... :D
Do you happen to know of an application Everyone.exe. I'd love to make Everyone happy. :lol:
Thanks again.
Chris
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Hahaha! :thumbsup:
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:40 pm MultipleInstances_03.pngI am learning about multiple instances. I thought to create two new instances following the instructions here.
I started a dedicated topic Removing all Traces of Everything with Uninstall
Cheers, Chris