Customizing and Restarting

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

Customizing and Restarting

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Customizing is now working its magic on me; I am taking the morning off to play with windows and dialogue boxes captions and titles.

Customizing says, in places, variations of "Save changes and close the Everything.ini. Restart Everything."
Not a big deal and I can do that this morning. Generally I rather like restarting any application after customizing, just-in-case it is needed.

For someone who knows what they are doing, making a caption change and NOT restarting is no big deal, but for a beginner, we almost always seek immediate conformation that the changes have taken effect.

Why restart for these title/caption changes? Possibly because the title/caption is initialized from a reading (at startup) of the INI file. So be it.
Question: is there any logical reason why Everything, on reading my search box command
"window_title_format= blah blah blah"
and storing that in the INI file, cannot run the same initialization-of-title/caption routine that must be used whenever Everything is restarted?

Not a big deal; I am more curious than anything.
Thanks, Chris
NotNull

Re: Customizing and Restarting

Post by NotNull »

What happens when do the following?
- paste the following in the Everything search bar?

Code: Select all

/window_title_format=blah blah blah
- press ENTER
- clear the text in the search bar
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please do not edit your Everything.ini while Everything is running.

Everything will overwrite your settings on exit.

You can change your title format from the search box:
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /window_title_format=$s?{$s - }$f?{$f - }blah blah blah$i?{ ($i)}
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
  • If successful, window_title_format=$s?{$s - }$f?{$f - }blah blah blah$i?{ ($i)} is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
You do not need to restart Everything after changing window_title_format from the search box.
Change the search to update your window title.

Window title formatting
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:29 pm What happens when you do the following?
It works! And the setting survives a quit/reload of Everything, too!

I will have to spend more time testing BEFORE posting a plea for help/understanding.
I suspect that I (a) missed a colon (b) introduced a non-quoted <space> (c) failed to read the status line (d) anything else.

Part of my problem is that each day another door opens, and I get so keen to try out what, to me, is a New Feature that I have a child-like disappointment when it doesn't work first try.

The good news is that I am forcing each New feature into Examples and Exercises, so that ultimately it will get straightened out in my mind, and it will be written down, complete with Traps For Young Players.

Your(plural you) guidance and assistance is not wasted on me alone.
Thank You All.

(signed) "passionate" of Bonavista
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:00 am Please do not edit your Everything.ini while Everything is running.
Everything will overwrite your settings on exit.
Not, it turns out, if I postpone my Save-and-Close from Notepad.exe until after Everything is shut down :twisted: :twisted:
You do not need to restart Everything after changing window_title_format from the search box.
Thanks Void; I will follow up some more.
I got the impression, from a Wiki (I think) that for some of these changes, Everything had to be restarted. That hinted that Everything would not effect the changes (in whatever it was) until Everything was reloaded and read the updated INI file at start-of-run.
Cheers, Chris