Copy Tree structure objects from result List

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

Copy Tree structure objects from result List

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I read the following topics, but did not see anything simple that jumped out at me.
how to get files selected in Everything into a Powershell array
Dropbox options in context menu when multiple files selected. Windows 11
Problem when trying to transfer selected files
Can't paste files to selected location in context menu
I am still new enough not to recognize terminology in a solution, so it is possible that the feature is out there
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (240.42 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
I want to build up a sample set of files as a realistic view of a hard drive.
My result list has ferreted out three current examples. I would rather not include my billing statements, but these three look harmless.
I will have similar tasks for DOC, XLS, TXT etc. files.

The image shows that I have used Ctrl+Click to build a set of three files, each file sitting in a separate folder.

(1) In an ideal world a right-click would show an option to "Copy Structure" and in a magic way I would then be able to "Paste Structure" onto a memory key, thereby accumulating a small but realistic model of a hard drive with a variety of real names, real paths, real files and real content. This would be great for writing a User Tutorial (grin) because I would know all the answers, but readers would have to perform the exercises (evil grin)
(2) In the world in which I live, creating a text file (as in File, Export, CSV) that contained the path and name would help. I could then write a procedure to copy the files onto the memory key.

I fiddled around a bit looking for a way to create an exported list of just the selected files, but it did not jump out at me; as noted, possibly because my vocabulary is still poor.

This is not a critical requirement, but if a solution exists within Everything, I'd be the happiest user of Everything 1.5a in Bonavista, at least for the next 24 hours! :D
Thanks, Chris
ChrisGreaves

Re: Copy Tree structure objects from result List

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:41 pm I read the following topics, but did not see anything simple that jumped out at me.
During yet-another-tea-break two solutions popped out of me; one works, the other doesn't.
(1) This is not good: Drag the selected files to the memory key. Windows copies the files well, but I lose the folder/path structures. I want to drag to an un-indexed memory key so that duplicate instances of files do not appear in future Results Lists.

(2) This works, but is a two-step labour: Export the full results list to CSV, then open up the CSV (in MSWord or MSExcel) and delete the files I do not want. I have to select the files I do or don't want anyway; with this method I defer the selection until I am outside Everything.

Cheers, Chris
tuska

Post by tuska »

File -> Copy Full Name to Clipboard (CTRL+SHIFT+C)
:?:
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

After selecting your files, you can use Menu:Edit > Advanced > Advanced Copy To Folder.
The "common denominator" will be detected automagically by Everything, so you will get somnething similar to this:
(the New Format part is up to you; Everything isn't thàt clairvoyant :))

2023-03-16 23_14_36-Copy To.png
2023-03-16 23_14_36-Copy To.png (25.71 KiB) Viewed 996 times
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:17 pm After selecting your files, you can use Menu:Edit > Advanced > Advanced Copy To Folder.
Cooler than Cool! 8-)

Not only did this do what I wanted to do, but it let me do somethings that I probably shouldn't do, such as copying my data partition Recycle bin with its folder structure to a 64 GB memory key. I was not able to find a way to restore files from the memory key, but I managed to empty the data partition Recycle bin and then copy the original Recycle bin back from the memory key.
Who knows where this new path will lead .... :twisted:

Thank you NotNull!
Cheers, Chris