Unique result for Unique search string?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
ChrisGreaves

Unique result for Unique search string?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Windows 7/Everything 1.4.1.1022 (x64)
An acceptable response to this post would be "Upgrade to 1.5 !!! :D

My music player alerts my ears that a track needs be edited.
The file name is T:\Music\2017\201712\20171222\Wagner\Lohengrin\Lohengrin - Act II_144p.mp3
I load this string into the Everything search box and receive the response:-
PartialMatch_01.png
PartialMatch_01.png (38.78 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
I am puzzled because I had thought that loading a complete and unique identifier for the file would produce a unique result. That is, I expected that given the drive and folder path as part of a single search string T:\Music\2017\201712\20171222\Wagner\Lohengrin\ and given as the rest of that string the complete name and extension Act II_144p.mp3 I would receive the only possible match in my file system.

I suspect that a RegEx-like match is made, so that “II” and “III” both satisfy the search, but if so is Everything being ultra-smart and recognizing “Act” and then looking for Act-numbering? No! Surely Not?

I seek answers to two questions:
(1) How should I have expressed the search to return a unique result
(2) To one level below (or above) my level of ignorance "What us going on under-the-hood?"

Thanks, Chris
Skodd

Re: Unique result for Unique search string?

Post by Skodd »

Add quotes (") around the search query. Space acts as an AND so without them you're basically searching for:
T:\Music\2017\201712\20171222\Wagner\Lohengrin\Lohengrin
AND
-
AND
Act
AND
II_144p.mp3
ChrisGreaves

Re: Unique result for Unique search string?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skodd wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:06 pm Add quotes (") around the search query. Space acts as an AND so without them you're basically searching for:
Aaaaaargh! I *know* that, but once again I forgot it!
Thanks Skodd.
I might say "A character string isn't really a character string until it is embraced with double-quotes"

The good news: in searching for a solution I got to play with a lot of new (to me) features of Everything before posting the question.

As for the mechanics, I see that "II" is found within "III"; so that satisfied the final condition!
Cheers, Chris