functions & modifers to SEARCH for length of filename greater than 6 characters?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
ChrisGreaves

functions & modifers to SEARCH for length of filename greater than 6 characters?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

The good news is that I believed that I could identify all rogue filenames (not six digits in length) and delete those rogue files.
I have prowled the forum for fifteen minutes and found too many topics to post here.

The bad news is that I still can't get my brain to work.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (42.12 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
I have constructed a search command

Code: Select all

t:\images\target\ *.bmp name:len:>11
which I parse as:-
(1) I am interested only in my folder of wallpaper images, specifically the folder “t:\images\target\ ”, with a trailing space as an AND separator.
(2) I am interested only in Windows bitmap files “*.bmp”
(3) I am interested only in the name portion of the full path; not the drive, not the path, and not the extent (for the extent is covered by *.BMP) so “name:”
(4) In particular, I want to know only those files whose name portion is longer than eleven characters “len:>11”

For the record, I am unsure about the name: and len: modifiers, so I have experimented with a len:>6 (in case I should be matching just the characters between the rightmost backslash and the rightmost extent separator), and then tried 7, 10, 11 in case I was mistaken about the name:len: conjunction.
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (55.05 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
I know that I can achieve my goal with a series of six wildcard characters (preceded by the NOT operator), so I can get on with my life, but since my life’s goal is to know more about Everything.exe than David knows (HUGE grin) I seek clarification on my use of functions, modifiers, in specifying a search by the NAME portion only, and the LENGTH of each name portion.

In anticipation of instruction: Thank You
Chris
therube

Re: functions & modifers to SEARCH for length of filename greater than 6 characters?

Post by therube »

I think this will get it:
ext:bmp filenamelength:>10

filenamelength is the length of the filename, including extension (& .).
".bmp" is 4, plus your 6, so > 10.
ovg

Re: functions & modifers to SEARCH for length of filename greater than 6 characters?

Post by ovg »

it is possible to use stemlength: instead of filenamelength:

stemlength:>6 ext:bmp
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

@therube and @ovg
Thank you both.
It turns out I just needed to use a bigger hammer, in the sense that I had not mastered all the functions? modifiers? available to me.
filenamelength and stemlength were unknown to me.
I have a long way to go.

Of course I had by now cleaned up my images-folder, so I turned to another folder with coded names - dates really
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (22.25 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
filenamelength=11 takes into account what I used to call the Name and the Extent separator and the extent itself.
filenamelength therefore would be useful where I was interested in a consistent extent (as I was in my leading post, and as I am in this response.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (22.19 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
stemlength=7 takes into account only the part I used to call Name, and I know that users generally use Name to mean one or more of:-
1. The bit after the path but before the extent
2. Everything that follows the path
3. Everything including the drive and folder path

I will now go and read through the pages of syntax to firm up my understanding.

I note in passing that code of the form "length:7" is equivalent to "length:=7". I shall probably settle on using the equals-sign because then it is consistent with the five other relational operators.

Thank you both for your help. I am depressed (grin) that there is still so much to learn, but elated that little by little, the mysteries of Everything become clearer to me.
Cheers, Chris
void
Developer

Post by void »

Search modifiers must be applied to the left of your search term.

Please try the following:

t:\images\target\ *.bmp len:name:>11

The search preprocessor is applied to your search term.

name:len:>11
will expand to:
name:3
(because the length of ">11" is 3)

stemlength=7 takes into account only the part I used to call Name, and I know that users generally use Name to mean one or more of:-
1. The bit after the path but before the extent
2. Everything that follows the path
3. Everything including the drive and folder path
Filename parts in Everything:

Full Path:	C:\folder\file.txt
Name:		file.txt
Path:		C:\folder
Stem:		file
Extension:	txt

I note in passing that code of the form "length:7" is equivalent to "length:=7". I shall probably settle on using the equals-sign because then it is consistent with the five other relational operators.
There are some subtle differences between:
size:1kb
and
size:=1kb

size:1kb searches for a size between 1 byte and 1024 bytes.
size:=1kb searches for a size that is exactly 1024 bytes.

This range search only occurs when you specify a granularity. (eg: kb)
length:7 and length:=7 will give the same results.

Search Function Syntax
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:38 pm name:len:>11
will expand to:
name:3
(because the length of ">11" is 3)
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (25.19 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
Ahah! :oops: I see. In my image above, the length of the string ">111" is 4, and I see now that only <name>s with the character "4" within them are shown. I had missed the expression of names with the character "3" in my earlier expression.
Filename parts in Everything:

Full Path:	C:\folder\file.txt
Name:		file.txt
Path:		C:\folder
Stem:		file
Extension:	txt
And David, thank you for clarifying this and other features.
As usual, you provide a first-class explanation to a small hurdle I have had with a first-class product.
And then present me with another half-dozen avenues to explore :lol: :D

Thanks again
Chris