Meta data in Preview pane

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
ajaxStardust

Meta data in Preview pane

Post by ajaxStardust »

This is turning in to a MOST excellent utility. (as if it wasn't already!?). just wow. I didn't realize it was so powerful. I'm thinking it's been updated since i've learned to use it, and i'm seeing features for the first time which perhaps weren't there before. In any case...

I used to be married to IrfanView for quickly finding a difficult to locate image. I'm sorry, but i'm pretty sure Everything Search simply blows that right out of the water!

That said, have a look at the screen shot. Here, I'm looking for some random icon... Again, quite useful and I can preview, and maybe it's not icon size when viewed there, even better for quickly sorting. But, what if I want to know more about the file itself? Perhaps the Preview pane could list a few things, such as Container name, mod date, filename. Otherwise (unless there's something i'm missing, which i don't doubt), I have to change the view back to Details (from thumbnail). Having that Meta data would reduce time for those of us who can't seem to find any of it these days! :D
Last edited by void on Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image link
void
Developer

Re: Meta data in Preview pane

Post by void »

Currently, when you hover over a thumbnail, information for each column is shown.
You can add/remove columns in detail mode from the View menu.

I am considering a detail pane.

Thank you for the suggestion.
ajaxStardust

Post by ajaxStardust »

void wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:17 am Currently, when you **hover over a thumbnail, information for each column is shown. **this i did NOT know! thank you!
**You can add/remove columns in detail mode from the View menu. **Yes! :)
As I fooled around a bit more yesterday after posting here, I realized I'm kinda blind for not seeing what's in the status bar already (that would provide the container. )

i think i was half asleep when i posted that. sorry! bad habit, then i forget what i really to say, which was:

As a so-called web design guy, the aforementioned image stuff: things that are great to have at a quick glance:
** Img alpha channel. Is there alpha (transparency)? If so, can I see it, or would I not know due to the white background? I was going to suggest, know that i remember, that #1: Dimensions. #2: Let user adjust color of background.

Most of the popular freeware img viewers have that. i expect it's in a library somewhere. so much stuff is config with .json running on chrome / node.js , and it's a matter of editing a CSS file or something (e.g. VS Code). I'm not sure if i like that, quite honestly, BUT. perhaps offering the user to save/ edit a color scheme in a file like that would be cool. FreeCommander has something like that i think. Not to go all crazy w/ theming. Just a practical use case whereby the transparent img could more easily be seen:
Image in XnView
Man, i am baffled at how to get the ¡img][img¡ tags to work. i'm sorry about that. (also, apologies as i didn't remove some less than beautiful pics from the folder. the point is to demo: testing for alpha)
Last edited by void on Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I do agree, from an aesthetic standpoint, that the Preview Pane can be used for a Details pane.

In fact, I've been meaning to ask if we can add a drop-combo to the Preview Pane to select a registered previewer including Plain Text, ASCII/HEX, and Metadata.
ajaxStardust

Post by ajaxStardust »

Once you get used to using it as a tool, it really becomes an essential part of the lineup!

@void the https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av4deDifjtmFgdtoeLT ... A?e=dS0BwP actually. ( I wish i could make that a embedded image. i used to know BBCode! I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I even looked here! )
And when you consider how powerful the search / sort feature, still just awesome. I found these images in probably i'd have to say seconds. In retrospect, had I used XnView or something, I'd still be there, distracted, looking at old pictures of myself in a band. and i'd be sad about it. And now here I am instead, pictures in hand, and praising the lord!

But the alpha channel stuff would be ultimate! ;)
raccoon wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:21 pm I do agree, from an aesthetic standpoint, that the Preview Pane can be used for a Details pane.

In fact, I've been meaning to ask if we can add a drop-combo to the Preview Pane to select a registered previewer including Plain Text, ASCII/HEX, and Metadata.

Yes. That choice of viewer thing would be cool. There's UTviewer that integrates w/ TotalCommander / Free Commander (prob has a good api?). And uviewer has a Syn Write plugin, so you can actually do serious coding in there. i've done it. lol! I suspect that @void wants to keep it lightweight. It's really nice and fast, and not cumbersome. I'd hate to lose that to too much bloat.
Last edited by void on Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Similar suggestion

ajaxStardust wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:36 pm It's really nice and fast, and not cumbersome. I'd hate to lose that to too much bloat.
Same here!
tuska

Post by tuska »

ajaxStardust wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:36 pm ... I wish i could make that a embedded image. ...
Have a look here:
Add a screenshot_Place inline.png
void
Developer

Post by void »

For now, you can customize your status bar text:
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:

Code: Select all

/statusbar_selected_item_format=#if:<$width:,Width: $width:"," >#if:<$height:,Height: $height:"," >#if:<$bitdepth:,BPP: $bitdepth:"," >Size: $s, Modified: $m, Path: $p
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.

Everything doesn't really know if the image has an transparent alpha pixel.
Everything will only read meta data.
The bitdepth property may help to indicate an alpha channel.
32 BPP usually indicates an alpha channel, but it dosen't mean the image will have a transparent pixel.

Status Bar Format