Sudden Crashes Everywhere

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
bouchert

Sudden Crashes Everywhere

Post by bouchert »

I was living fairly peacefully with Everything Search for quite some time, but at times, it began to unexpectedly crash. It wasn't too often, so I disregarded it. Now that I've updated my version of Windows to Windows 10 1903, it can barely stay open at all. I tried rebuilding the database, but it still crashes. It seems to die when querying, or more often when heavily querying the database, because typing or scrolling or resorting the list can all trigger a crash. I've attached a handful of minidumps from past crashes.
Attachments
CrashDumps.7z
These are a number of minidumps from crashes of the application.
(2.77 MiB) Downloaded 384 times
horst.epp

Re: Sudden Crashes Everywhere

Post by horst.epp »

Sorry but this error report misses some information.
What Everything version and bitness ?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the crash dumps.

The dumps show the stack is corrupted so its hard to determine where the crash originated from in Everything.

It might be a shell extension causing the problem.

Please try the latest nightly build and disable icon handler shell extensions:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /icon_shell_extensions=0
    If successful, you should see icon_shell_extensions=0 in the status bar for a few seconds.
If this helps, what icon handler shell extensions do you have installed? -You can list icon handler shell extensions with ShellExView.
therube

Post by therube »

Without looking at anything, simply guessing, my thought would be a context-menu item that is interfering?
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
bouchert

Post by bouchert »

Thank you very much for your responses! They pointed me in the right direction, and I discovered it was indeed some sort of shell extension installed by ASUS WebStorage. I will direct my bug reports to them.