Everything search slowing computer down

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
sleeper0993

Everything search slowing computer down

Post by sleeper0993 »

I was using an older version of Everything. I hadn't used it in a while. I'm running Windows 10 x64 Version 1703 build 15063.540. When I went to use Everything yesterday, after one search for a file name, the computer began responding real slow. If I right-clicked a file, it might have taken 30 seconds to a minute to see the menu. A click on any item in the menu would take just as long. I closed Everything, restarted the computer and things were running fine again. As soon as I used Everything, it was back to responding slowly.

I uninstalled Everything, and installed the latest 64 bit version from your web site. However, as soon as I went to run it the same thing happened. I uninstalled it and then tried to run searches for files using Windows file explorer? I had no issues. Just in case, I also ran the Windows search troubleshooter. It found no issues. I liked using Everything but I don't know what to try to fix this issue.
sleeper0993

Re: Everything search slowing computer down

Post by sleeper0993 »

Thanks for the information. That would be helpful if I was having right-click issues with Windows in general. However, it's only when running Everything that I have the issue. That leads me to believe that it's an issue with Everything and some Windows 10 interaction or with Everything and some other program I have installed.
sleeper0993

Post by sleeper0993 »

I just tried installing it again. This time I noticed it isn't just right-click issues. As soon as I tried to run it and search for the file gray.mp3 using Everything, each letter I was typing of the file name was taking 30 seconds or so to appear as I typed it. Then again, after an uninstall, the computer was running ok again.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

First of all: thanks for providing extensive information. That makes searching for the cause of this problem a lot easier!

I'm not sure if I can help you in this case, but my first guess is, that it has something to do with your older version of Everything.
More specific: an older version of the database /settingsfile. Maybe they are not compatible with newer versions of Everything?
(I have no experience with older versions of Everything; using it since 3 months now)

You could try the following steps to see if it makes a difference:
- uninstall Everything
- remove database (Everything.db) and settings file (Everything.ini)
- Install Everything

Database and settings file can be found in 1 or 2 locations. Remove them from both.
1. The program folder itself: C:\Program Files\Everything or C:\Program Files (x86)\Everything
2. Your userprofile: %appdata%\Everything (which translates to something like: c:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Everything )
sleeper0993

Post by sleeper0993 »

Thanks for trying to help, both of you.

The 2 files, (the db and the ini files) were not present after the uninstall. I searched using file explorer and also manually in the locations you specified.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Too bad it didn't work out. It was worth a try ...

I'm afraid I can't help you any further, other than some general advice to check the SMART data of your disk(s) and if that turns out OK: run CHKDSK.exe
and/or Disk Error Checking (in Explorer: right-click disk > Properties > Tools tab > Error checking )

Good luck!

BTW: What does Everything debug report? (more info on that: viewtopic.php?t=1713 )
void
Developer

Post by void »

How many files as Everything indexed?
What type of CPU do you have?

Please try forcing Everything to use only one thread to see if it is a multi-threaded issue:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /max_threads=1
  • Restart Everything.
If it helps, please try increasing the thread count, eg:
/max_threads=2
/max_threads=3

To restore the max_threads to the default setting:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /max_threads=0
  • Restart Everything.
sleeper0993

Post by sleeper0993 »

Here's where I am with this. I had removed a number of programs, thinking that maybe it was something I added since I had last used the earlier version of Everything where I didn't have issues. After that, it was working fine (my computer plus Everything) until I added the file explorer replacement SpeedCommander 16 Pro. I then noticed I was having the slowdown issue again at times when using Everything. However, I also noticed something else at the same time which I had ignored before.

Each time I started Everything, I saw a message on the screen about pressing Win + G for game bar. It had a check box to check if you didn't want to see it again, so I checked that. After a restart I didn't see the message but pressing Win + G would bring up the game bar. Now Windows 10 is only supposed to do that if it "recognizes" a program as a game. Apparently, it thinks Search Everything is a game. BTW I had the X-Box app disabled on my computer so I don't know if that has any effect or not. So, I went into settings and completely disabled the game bar.

So, at this stage it appears to be working, even with SpeedCommander 16 Pro installed. Again, Everything was working fine with the stock Windows file explorer, even with the Win + G (gamebar) issue. I'm going to keep monitoring and see if it keeps running fine with SpeedCommander 16 Pro. If it does, then the problem was the Win + G (gamebar) issue. If I run into the same problem, then it's something with the interaction with SpeedCommander 16 Pro and I'd have to stick with the stock File Explorer to use Everything.

I'll report back after some days of testing with an update.
sleeper0993

Post by sleeper0993 »

I just wanted to report back that after 2 weeks of daily testing using Everything, I'm still not having the slowdown issue. I continued to use SppedCommander 16 Pro during this time too. I don't know if this is one of those forums where they mark issues closed or not, but if it is, this could be marked closed.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

sleeper0993 wrote:I just wanted to report back that after 2 weeks of daily testing using Everything, I'm still not having the slowdown issue. I continued to use SppedCommander 16 Pro during this time too. I don't know if this is one of those forums where they mark issues closed or not, but if it is, this could be marked closed.
Thanks for reporting back!
Thanks to this, I was able to fix someone else's system by also disabling the Game bar. Wouldn't have thought of that all by myself, I guess ....
sleeper0993

Post by sleeper0993 »

You're welcome :)
richardschoen

Post by richardschoen »

This just solved the issue on my machine as well.

Thanks for documenting.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

What this Game-bar engine does:
If the game-bar detects a game that is on it's game list, it disables/slows down as much other processes as it can, to allow this game to have as much resources free as possible and thus run at maximum speed and without interventions (popups, Windows update alerts, etc)

In the case of Everything (which is also detected as a game; obvious a false positive), this causes the rest of the system to slow down.

Workarounds:
- Tell the game bar that everything.exe is not a game
- disable the game bar altogether.
- renmame everything.exe to something like everything_14.exe (detection is based on filename, apparently), like suggested by @void here: viewtopic.php?t=6523

Solution:
- contact Microsoft to get Everything off the game list (or let them use a better detection mechanism)
sleeper0993

Post by sleeper0993 »

Actually, if I were VoidTools, I would have (as a business) have contacted Microsoft and complained until they resolved the problem. If what you're saying is true though (that the list goes by name of the executable) I'd change the program name if I were voidtools as a simpler solution (as Microsoft can be a pain to deal with).
babbas

Post by babbas »

Okay, I just renamed Everything.exe to Everything_is_renamed.exe and now everything works correctly.

I really missed this wonderful tool after installing Windows 10 Pro with the Slowness issue.
Luckily I found this post on how to solve it.

Microsoft should buy Everything, this tool is invaluable.