Some settings not retained?

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
ardee

Some settings not retained?

Post by ardee »

On my system, using 1.5 alpha, a few settings -- including "run_as_admin" -- are not saved. The checkbox is always indeterminate (I use the service so I don't need it to run as admin). Even when I add run_as_admin=0 to the .ini file, that setting disappears after the program is run.

Sorry that I don't recall the other settings that apparently aren't saved on my system, but there were at least 2 or 3 others that I ran into. In all these cases, typing "/" followed by the setting name into Everything did not result in anything showing up for 3 seconds in the status bar.

Besides these few, all other settings are retained and show up in the status bar as expected.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate (please don't ask) on an Intel i7 with 64GB of RAM.
raccoon

Re: Some settings not retained?

Post by raccoon »

It sounds like you ARE running Everything as Admin. When that settings checkbox is 'intermediate', it means the program is currently running As Admin but the setting is NOT configured to do so.

If you are launching Everything with AutoHotkey, and AutoHotkey is running As Admin then Everything will inherit that as well.

Dear @void: Could you add the word "(Administrator)" to the Everything titlebar when Everything is running with elevated privileges? This will help to demystify issues.

cmd_uQO0BFCDml.png
cmd_uQO0BFCDml.png (20.97 KiB) Viewed 6274 times
Everything64_IR2hlQguhl.png
Everything64_IR2hlQguhl.png (14.1 KiB) Viewed 6274 times
ardee

Post by ardee »

Hi racoon. I haven't changed how I run Everything from 1.4.x to 1.5 alpha. I always had the service enabled and run-as-admin disabled, and that always worked as expected. But now it ignores the latter and always runs as admin (with the checkbox indeterminate).

Also, as far as I can determine, AutoHotKey is not running as admin.

Other documented .ini settings are also being treated as unrecognized and lost upon running Everything. Luckily, this is minor compared to all the goodness gained by running 1.5.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Type these two commands into the Everything Search to navigate (and reveal) the folders in which Everything is installed, and the folder Everything settings are being saved to. It is perhaps possible that these folders aren't the ones you were expecting, and if so, we can work on that.

about:exe-location (hit Enter)

about:ini-location (hit Enter)
ardee

Post by ardee »

Done. They're both as expected. That's the .ini that I modified manually but then got reset after running Everything.

This isn't worth your time, it's so minor. Maybe someday, after 1.5 is complete (not alpha or beta), I'll revisit it.

I am grateful for your help.
void
Developer

Post by void »

In Everything 1.5, if run as an administrator is indeterminate (square checked) then the setting is disabled and Everything is currently running as an administrator.

Unchecking the indeterminate (square checked) run as an administrator setting will do nothing.
Everything is running as an admin from an external source.

To run Everything as a standard user:
  • Right click your Everything.exe or a shortcut to Everything
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the Compatibility tab.
  • Uncheck Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click OK.
Also to run Everything as a standard user:
  • Right click your shortcut to Everything
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the Shortcut tab.
  • Click the Advanced button.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
Please make sure you are not starting Everything as a scheduled task that launches Everything as an admin.
Please make sure Everything is not launched from another program that is also running as an admin.

Dear @void: Could you add the word "(Administrator)" to the Everything titlebar when Everything is running with elevated privileges? This will help to demystify issues.
I've put this on my TODO list.
Thank you for the suggestion.
tuska

Post by tuska »

The possibility of recognising whether Everything is being run as an administrator already exists:
Everything - Version No. in header

Code: Select all

/window_title_format=#if:<#isadmin:,^>$t $v$i?{ - ($i)}
- In Everything, type in the code above in the search box and press ENTER.
- If successful, you should see "window_title_format=..." in the status bar for a few seconds

2021-11-30_Everything is being run as an ADMINISTRATOR.png
2021-11-30_Everything is being run as an ADMINISTRATOR.png (6.38 KiB) Viewed 6233 times
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I meant by default. So that the masses of users have ready-access to knowledge at hand.

But thanks for that syntax.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1286a will now show [Administrator] in the window caption when running as an administrator by default.