Duplicate Search Results

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Mrantala

Duplicate Search Results

Post by Mrantala »

Hello -
Running Version 1.5.0.1281a (x64)

Identified issue: When searching for video files, the results are duplicated (2 for each returned result - same file, same drive and folder). I have the video filter applied (same result if I change this). This is happening on an NTFS drive. Doing a rescan of the drive, or a complete rebuild of the index had no effect. I also verified that there are no hidden files in the indicated folders. This only seems to be occurring on my E: Drive. The other NTFS Drives show only 1 result for a searched filename.

UPDATE - IDENTIFIED ROOT CAUSE TO ABOVE ISSUE: - See attached screen shot. At one point I had a network mapping to the E: Drive. I have since disconnected that mapping. However, despite having the "remove offline drives checked" as you can see it sill lists the old network mapping for the E: Drive. So Everything has an NTFS E: Drive and an offline Network Drive. Once I manually removed the E: Drive Offline from the list and clicked "Apply", the results automatically updated and all the duplicates were gone. Therefore, here is a resulting bug list:

BUG #1: Having an NTFS Drive and an OFFLINE Network Drive with the same Drive Letter Label results in duplicate entries in Everything's Index. Even though these drives are offline, you can still tell Everything to "rescan" or update the index for that drive (see Bug #3).

BUG #2: The option to "Automatically remove OFFLINE Mapped Network Drives" even though checked, does NOT remove OFFLINE DRIVES.

Bug #3: In this same scenario setup, if I DID NOT HAVE AN NTFS E: DRIVE, But I still had the OFFLINE NETWORK E: Mapping listed in Everything, that E: Drive was still an option in the Index -> Rescan. If I choose the menu option Index -> Rescan -> E: ....(which is OFFLINE), the Everything Status bar would say it was re-scanning and that would be there for several minutes then disappear. If I choose Index -> Rescan ->Rescan All that would also show in the status bar that it was rescanning the E: (offline) drive, hang there for a while, then move on to rescanning the rest of the drives.

Question about intended design: Regarding the Index - Scan menu. This only displays Network Drives. Should this display NTFS drives as well ?

Thank you,
Matt R.
Attachments
shows duplicate results
shows duplicate results
everythingerror1.jpg (134.01 KiB) Viewed 13034 times
Settings in Options NTFS
Settings in Options NTFS
everythingerror2.jpg (62.24 KiB) Viewed 13034 times
Shows the faulting E: network drive mapping (OFFLINE)
Shows the faulting E: network drive mapping (OFFLINE)
everythingerror3.jpg (73.87 KiB) Viewed 13034 times
void
Developer

Re: Duplicate Search Results

Post by void »

Thank you for the bug report Mrantala,

I can confirm the issue.
Everything is treating the network drive as a volume image.
Everything will not automatically remove volume images.

This will be fixed in the next alpha update.

Question about intended design: Regarding the Index - Scan menu. This only displays Network Drives. Should this display NTFS drives as well ?
Only FAT, network drives and folder indexes.
NTFS volumes should never need rescanning.
Mrantala

Post by Mrantala »

Sounds good. BTW, Thank you for all the hard work on this application! 1.5 is a great update, love it! Made a donation of support yesterday, and I'll be making another one in a week or 2 - I'm behind... I've been using Everything probably for close to 2 years now, and I can't remember life without it!! What a FANTASTIC Tool !!! Many thanks.
Regards,
Matt R.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your support.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1282a fixes an issue with network drives being treated as a volume image.

Network drives are now automatically removed when they are offline (when Automatically remove offline mapped network drives is enabled).
Mrantala

Post by Mrantala »

Looks good from all the testing I've done. Thanks !