Paste to multiple locations

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
harryray2

Paste to multiple locations

Post by harryray2 »

I can search , highlight and delete files but I'm wondering if it's possible to also paste into the various different locations found?

If it's not possible now would it be possible to build this in to a future build?

It would save an awful lot of time and lots of clocking!!

Thanks.
NotNull

Re: Paste to multiple locations

Post by NotNull »

If I understood your question correctly, that is possible.

Example:
- select a file (or multiple files)
- press CTRL+C
- select a folder
- press CTRL+V
- select another folder
- press CTRL+V
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

`Thanks, but I'm looking for a way to copy the file to multiple locations all at once...
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Any ideas on this please?
tuska

Post by tuska »

harryray2 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:44 am `Thanks, but I'm looking for a way to copy the file to multiple locations all at once...
harryray2 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:57 am Any ideas on this please?
This can be done e.g. with the file manager "Total Commander", which has an 'Everything' integration.
Creating link targets in a folder first is necessary.

Basically I consider such a task to be a job with a file manager rather than with a search tool.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks for the replies..I really need to do this within everything.
Is there any solution within 1.4 or in the new 1.5 version?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Can you please give an example?

You can right-click drag drop onto the path column in Everything 1.5..

Not sure if that helps?
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Yes, thanks, I know I can drag and drop to a single location but I want to drag ann drop to multiple locations at the same time.

For example..I have a file in my downloads folder and I want to copy it (drag and drop)_ to all folders with the name Harry...harry1, harry2, harry 3 etc.
Usually I have to open all the folders or drag and drop to everything one at a time.

What I would like to do is select all the folders in Everything and copy the file into all of them at the same time.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

For version 1.5 but it would be nice to get a solution for both versions.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions harryray2,

Everything 1.5.0.1267a adds the multi_folder_paste ini setting.

Everything calls the OS to paste into multiple folders.
However, Windows will only paste into the first folder.

When multi_folder_paste is enabled, Everything will paste the clipboard contents into each selected folder. (one at a time)

To enable multi_folder_paste:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /multi_folder_paste=1
  • If successful multi_folder_paste=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.

Note: Items cut to the clipboard will only be pasted once to the first selected or focused folder.
Note: If an error occurs, you may see multiple error dialogs. (one for each folder)

I am considering making this option enabled by default.
However, the above notes will need to be addressed first.
Mizufluffy

Post by Mizufluffy »

I just tried this feature and also compared the difference between the feature being disabled or enabled in 1.5.0.167a when multiple folders are selected. I never even realized Everything could paste only to one folder if you had multiple folders selected but it definitely feels more natural to paste to all of them than to just one of them. To be honest, I've been using Advanced Copy/Move to Folder feature so frequently that I at some point I didn't even realize I could paste into folders that are visible in the results window.

Anyway, I'm personally down for making it default behaviour but I'd appreciate an option to have a warning with an ability to cancel the pasting when attempting to paste into multiple folders.
Let's say you select and copy 1000 files. Then you select 1000 folders and paste into all of them. Suddenly you have created 1.000.000 new files. I wouldn't need a warning if I'm pasting only to one folder at a time but it would definitely be nice to have when trying to do it to multiple locations.
I'm sure that not everyone would like to see a warning so it would be good if it was possible to enable or disable it.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I agree with Mizufluffy...The paste to multiple is such a great addition but there are bound to be times when mistakes are made so an optional warning would be really nice...
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1283a removes the multi_folder_paste ini setting.

This option will be enabled by default.

Everything 1.5.0.1283a will now add pasted items to the Undo History.

Notes:
Cut items are still only pasted once.
Result List | Parent | Paste will now paste into multiple folders.
Press the ESC to cancel a lengthy paste (if you accidentally paste into thousands of folders)
Everything will only paste into unique folder paths (avoids pasting into duplicate folder paths)
Pasted items are always added to the undo history, even if they fail (limitation with Everything and the OS)
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

@void Can you clarify the currently available methods of multi-folder pasting?

Post-response Edit: Also something about Drag-Dropping into the Path column of multiple selected objects?
Last edited by raccoon on Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Either by:
  • Selecting multiple folders and pressing Ctrl + V.
  • Selecting multiple folders, right clicking and clicking Paste.
  • Binding a keyboard shortcut to the Result List | Parent | Paste command, selecting multiple files and folders and pressing this keyboard shortcut. (pastes into the parent folder of the selected items)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Also something about Drag-Dropping into the Path column of multiple selected objects?
Only one target folder is supported when drag-dropping into the path column.
ericgl

Post by ericgl »

Hi void,

Pasting file(s) into multiple locations is a very useful feature, and very welcome indeed. Thank you.
Sometimes I have more than 10 copies of the same file scattered in multiple locations, and if I update one, I always copy this latest modified file to the other locations, but until now I had to click "Open Path" and then paste the newley-modified file into the other locations. Not very elegant, but I didn't know about this multi-paste feature until now.

I am now using 1.5.0.1283a, but if I copy a file (CTRL+C), and try to paste it (CTRL+V) into other locations/paths that contain the same filename in the result list, nothing happens. And there's no "Paste" option in the right-click menu.

Only by binding a keyboard shortcut to the Result List | Parent | Paste command - it works. Saves me a lot of open Explorer windows, but it's another shortcut to remember and keep in mind.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

ericgl wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:04 amif I copy a file (CTRL+C), and try to paste it (CTRL+V) into other locations/paths that contain the same filename in the result list, nothing happens.
Regular Ctrl+V paste only works when you have folder(s) selected in Name column.
You will need Parent-Paste if you want your files pasted to the locations in the Path column.
I verified both work. Even when a file by the same name already exists, you get a replace prompt.

I did manage to Crash everything while multi-parent-pasting with existing files. Still testing. I can't reproduce.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please send me a mini crash dump if you see the crash again.

I've been spamming Ctrl + V on folders with no luck running into the crash.

I am now using 1.5.0.1283a, but if I copy a file (CTRL+C), and try to paste it (CTRL+V) into other locations/paths that contain the same filename in the result list, nothing happens. And there's no "Paste" option in the right-click menu.
Could be the clipboard being left open or in a bad state.
I'll keep an eye open for this issue.

Was the copy from Everything?
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Just a thought on dragging and dropping into the path column...What if the file(s)/folder(s) were dragged into the column header, would that be possible?
ericgl

Post by ericgl »

void wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:10 am

Could be the clipboard being left open or in a bad state.
I'll keep an eye open for this issue.

Was the copy from Everything?
Yes, copied from Everything.
Strange, but I just tried again and this time there was a "Paste" option in the context-menu, but like before - nothing gets pasted.

By the way, I am now using v1.5.0.1284a.
Here's what I'm doing:
  1. I search for a specific file and the results list gets narrowed-down (the same file-name appears in multiple locations).
  2. Select the file which was most recently modified > right-click > Copy
  3. Select the other files in the result list > right-click > Paste. Nothing happens
  4. I then try to do it with the keyboard shortcut I set for Result List | Parent | Paste command, which is CTRL+ALT+V.
    It works - I get prompts to replace the existing files. That's how I've been doing it for the last few days, and I actually got used to doing it this way.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the bug report ericgl,

Sorry, I broke Parent -> Paste for files in 1284a.

Currently, Parent -> Paste only works for selected folders.

I will post a fix soon.
Just a thought on dragging and dropping into the path column...What if the file(s)/folder(s) were dragged into the column header, would that be possible?
I will consider adding an option to do this.
Thanks for the suggestion.
ericgl

Post by ericgl »

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by
Sorry, I broke Result List | Parent | Paste for files in 1284a.
For me, Result List | Parent | Paste is working fine with files. Haven't had any issues using its keyboard shortcut.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I broke the context menu Parent -> Paste, the keyboard shortcut should work fine.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1285a fixes an issue with context menu Parent -> Paste being grayed out.

Everything 1.5.0.1285a also adds a Parents context menu item when selecting multiple items.
therube

Post by therube »

Very nice feature.
Thank you.

(Actually, it confuses my brain, a bit, but I can accomplish what I want, successfully, so I'm happily confused :) .)
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Would it be possible to add a '(x) files successfully copied over' (or something along those lines) dialogue box after pasting, where x=the number of files/directories?

It would be useful as a confirmation of files copied.

Thanks.
Last edited by harryray2 on Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Post by therube »

(Oh, & I'll mention, it is blocking, so if you have a large file going to a slow drive...)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Would it be possible to add a '(x) files successfully copied over'
I'll put this on my Things to do list.
Thank you for the suggestion.