Exclude folders usually, but not when I search specfically in that folder!

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
rpnfan

Exclude folders usually, but not when I search specfically in that folder!

Post by rpnfan »

I know of the Exclude-option in the preferences. This works fine and would be what I want most of the time. I want to exclude a few folders normally in everyday use. But from time to time I want to be able to search in those folders.

a) only in one of those excluded folder or
b) on the complete hard disk (so temporarily disable the exclude-option)

But when I use the exclude function (in the preferences) I do not have the chance to search in those folders at all.

One workaround could be to exclude folders in the search field by using the syntax !"c:\folder I dont want to search normally" and create a bookmark for that.

Is there a way to exclude folders normally, but to be able to include them by demand!? I searched the forum, but could not find an answer so far.
NotNull

Re: Exclude folders usually, but not when I search specfically in that folder!

Post by NotNull »

I can think of a couple of ways to accomplish that:

1. Create 2 filters.
Filter 1 excludes all these folders; filter 2 searches only in these folders. Make Filter 1 your default.

2. Create 2 Everything instances.
In instance 1 - your "regular" Everything - you exclude these special folders.
In instance 2 you index only these special folders.
When you want to search in these special folders, you start instance 2 (both instances can run at the same time if you want).

Let me know which of these you prefer, so I can give you more details, like how to configure.
rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

Thanks NotNull! That helped me a lot already.

I got the filters working and also found out that putting a filter to the top makes it the default. That's nice! Although with the filters for the directories I loose the option to use filters otherwise (which I'd like). I looked and it seems there is no option to "stack" two or more filters, right (that's what it seems from the manual)? If filters could be stacked that would be perfect. Or I need to create more sets of filters to recreate the original filters, that can also be a workaround for me.

Two instances (I was not aware of that) works also. :-)

I think I'll use a combination of filters, bookmarks and possibly even instances (except when filters can be stacked, than that's not of any benefit).

Great tips! I'm using Everything for many years, but haven't scratched the surface, but now I'm starting to get much more out of it! :-)

EDIT:
It seems I can use macros to "stack" filters, by giving a macro name to a filter. It seems I get where I want to be! :D

Launching a macro in the search bar by using the

macroname:

... powerful feature -- a bit hidden in the docs ;-)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

rpnfan wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:15 pm also found out that putting a filter to the top makes it the default.
You can make any filter the default, by configuring that filter under Menu:Tools > Options > Home

rpnfan wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:15 pm If filters could be stacked that would be perfect.
Not by selecting the filter, but filters al have the possibility to add a macro.
(To see what I mean, go to Menu:Search > Organize Filters... and double-click Audio. the macroname is audio; to use it, type audio: in the search bar).

Using that, when you have your filter enabled, you can search for:

Code: Select all

audio: | video: 
to find all audio and video files, except for those in your excluded folders.

EDIT: I see you already found out about the macro's :D
rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

NotNull wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:27 pm EDIT: I see you already found out about the macro's :D
Yes, thanks for the help! I'm already happily searching (and excluding) whatever I wish. Works great!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

:thumbsup:

... And there are even more hidden gems to discover. Enjoy Everything!