Suddenly unable to open files and way less search results

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Post Reply
Lindmann
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:20 am

Suddenly unable to open files and way less search results

Post by Lindmann » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:07 am

Hi,

Everything has been working like charm until recently.
Two weeks ago, all of a sudden, Everything was giving me just a tiny fraction of the results that I was expecting.
But I haven't changed anything...either in the Everything options nor on my computer (besides the automatic Windows updates)

All my folders are rescaned every day at noon during my lunch break.

After I added a few sub-folders directly in the Everything options. These folders had already been included in the entire server-wide searches...so it shouldn't provide any futher search results. But to my surprise I got a few more results.

But...now I am unable to open these files. When I double click them, I end up with a Windows error message that the system was unable to finde the drive. "Open path" ain't working either.

My workaround now is to use the "copy full name to clipboard" and paste the url in the windows explorer.

void
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Suddenly unable to open files and way less search results

Post by void » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:21 am

Please make sure "Everything" is running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Everything service.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Restart Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
It is possible Everything is running as administrator, which means it is unable to see your mapped network drives.
Opening a path from Everything would also run Windows Explorer as administrator and it too would be unable to see your mapped network drives.

Please make sure no search options are enabled under the Search menu:
  • Under the Search menu:
    • Uncheck Match Case.
    • Uncheck Match Path.
    • Uncheck Match Whole Words.
    • Uncheck Match Diacritics.
    • Uncheck Regex.
    • Check Everything
After running Everything as a standard user, please try forcing a rebuild:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.

Lindmann
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:20 am

Re: Suddenly unable to open files and way less search results

Post by Lindmann » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:40 am

Thank you...It worked!

I had it running as administrator and somewhow 'match case' was checked.
I am a bit embarassed now as the solution was that easy.
But anyway...thanks for your support.

Post Reply