How could one make Everything open a folder when double clicking on it in a panel of FreeCommander or Q-Dir?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

How could one make Everything open a folder when double clicking on it in a panel of FreeCommander or Q-Dir?

Post by Biff »

How could one make Everything open a folder when double clicking (or click on "Explor Path" in the context menu) on it in a panel of FreeCommander or Q-Dir instead of in Win Explorer?
NotNull

Re: How could one make Everything open a folder when double clicking on it in a panel of FreeCommander or Q-Dir?

Post by NotNull »

From the support site: http://www.voidtools.com/support/everyt ... stomizing/

External File Manager

To open paths in an external file manager:

In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
Click the Context Menu tab.
Select Open Path.
Change the command to:

$exec("C:\ExternalFileManager\ExternalFileManager.exe" "%1")

Where C:\ExternalFileManager\ExternalFileManager.exe is the location of the external file manager.
Use $$, $%, $( and $) to escape $, %, ( and ).
Check your external file manager help for any required command line parameters.
Click OK.
Biff

Re: How could one make Everything open a folder when double clicking on it in a panel of FreeCommander or Q-Dir?

Post by Biff »

Many thanks, got it working.

Is there a way to open a folder in e.g. Q-Dir already open and not opening a new instance of Q-Dir?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Biff wrote:Many thanks, got it working.

Is there a way to open a folder in e.g. Q-Dir already open and not opening a new instance of Q-Dir?
2017-06-07 20_36_03-.png
2017-06-07 20_36_03-.png (20.2 KiB) Viewed 8073 times
You're welcome!

Single instance is actually a Q-Dir setting. It's in the Q-Dir menu: Extras > Q-Dir as default browser > Open in new Tab, in the running instance.
If this folder is already opened in a tab in the running Q-Dir, it will use that tab, instead of opening a new one.

No available command-line options to influence this behaviour AFAIK. Q-Dir is a really awesome program (my default file manager; exit Explorer), but documentation ....
Biff

Post by Biff »

Great, many thanks. Enabled.
Single instance is actually a Q-Dir setting. It's in the Q-Dir menu: Extras > Q-Dir as default browser > Open in new Tab, in the running instance.
I have been there before but I haven't noticed that option for this purpose.
No available command-line options to influence this behaviour AFAIK. Q-Dir is a really awesome program (my default file manager; exit Explorer), but documentation ....
Yes, indeed, thank goodness that option is available.

Thank you very much again
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Biff wrote:Great, many thanks. Enabled.

Thank *you* very much! I'm quite new to this Everything game and these questions help me discover the possibilities of it (and man .. it has no end ...)

Luckily the Everything documentation is *very* good, complete and organized At least in my opinion.
(use http://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/ as a starting point and pick what you want from the left pane)
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank *you* very much! I'm quite new to this Everything game and these questions help me discover the possibilities of it (and man .. it has no end ...)
Oops, I thought you were an expert since some years or so. No, no, I have to say thank you. I use it since years or many years and do not have any idea.
Luckily the Everything documentation is *very* good, complete and organized At least in my opinion.
(use http://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/ as a starting point and pick what you want from the left pane)
Yes, yes, the documentation is very good, actually I should be able to find some answeres by msyself but...some smartness is missing. Thank you for the link.
Allekz

Post by Allekz »

Biff wrote:Great, many thanks. Enabled.

Hello! I'm a Q-Dir fan too, and it works great with that tool (one instance), except with another software which I love too: Listary. It makes easier to navegate files, folders and drives. Listary is a great companion to any file manager, it has a feature to set up the one you want, and allow to set "%1" so that it will start in the directory you select, and it actually does, but it always open a new instance of Q-dir. I guess I must add something to that "%1"... Any help?

See: http://www.listary.com/docs/use-listary ... le-manager
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Allekz wrote: Hello! I'm a Q-Dir fan too, and it works great with that tool (one instance), except with another software which I love too: Listary. It makes easier to navegate files, folders and drives. Listary is a great companion to any file manager, it has a feature to set up the one you want, and allow to set "%1" so that it will start in the directory you select, and it actually does, but it always open a new instance of Q-dir. I guess I must add something to that "%1"... Any help?

See: http://www.listary.com/docs/use-listary ... le-manager
You do realize that you ask on the forum of Application A, how to integrate Application B with Application C ?

Anyway, I think I can help you (without knowing Listery), as I did some debugging on Q-Dir while ago
Turns out, you can use this:

Code: Select all

QDIR.exe /e>%1>
This is WITHOUT the usual "". If I would open the "C:\Program Files" folder in Q-Dir, I would use this command: c:\Tools\Q-Dir\Q-Dir.exe /e>c:\program files>
Allekz

Post by Allekz »

NotNull: it worked!!! Thank you so much!!!! I did realize that I asked in Application A forum, how to integrate Application B with Application C, hahaha, and belive me I had no choice, Q-Dir doesn't offer customer support, and Listary couldn't find out, so far. Google brought me here (by searchong Q-Dir troubles), then I can enjoy now not only Q-Dir and Listary (two of my favorite desktop tools) but also literally Everything, which seems to become another one of my favorites. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :D
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Allekz wrote:NotNull: it worked!!! [...] thank you!!! :D
Just when I was thinking seriously about leaving this Everything forum, because there are way too many "hit and run" people (*), you send a message like this! Thank *you*. I'm good for at least another week ;-)

(*) Those people that leave a forum conversation halfway. They are never to be heard from after their problem was solved (or not; nobody knows..)
I *really* dislike that. At least let the people on the forum know if it worked or not. Other people will benefit from that.
Allekz

Post by Allekz »

Totally agree. By the way, I've let Listary forum* know the help you gave to me. I hope this promotes that good habit to be greatful and moves everyone to share their discoveries. Cheers!

(*) http://discussion.listary.com/t/q-dir-s ... ved/4005/3