Can't see Context menus from other programs inside Everythin

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
goamn

Can't see Context menus from other programs inside Everythin

Post by goamn »

Hi, I have been using Everything for many years now and converted many friends and colleagues. I have just switched to a new pc (64 bit, still windows 7), and I noticed it no longer shows the Context menus of other programs when I right click one of the results inside Everything. It used to do this perfectly. The ones I am missing are Winmerge and Team Foundation Server.

Is there anything I can do?
I tried downloading the beta. Tried renaming it from "Search Everything" back to the default "Everything. I tried moving it into Program files (instead of the (x86) one).
Any help is appreciated, thanks.
adamantine

Re: Can't see Context menus from other programs inside Every

Post by adamantine »

i also have a problem with the context menu item from the program better file select (i use version 2.1.2)
the problem is present both in 1.2.1.452 and in 1.3.1.636

while better file rename (i use version 5.7) works both in 1.2.1.452 and in 1.3.1.636

these 2 programs work ideally in windows explorer (win xp pro, 32-bit, sp 2)

generally speaking, i would love to see 'options' -> 'context menu' much more powerful and developed (with the possibility to rename/delete/move up/move down literally every context menu item, including the standard items like send to, open with, create shortcut, delete, cut, paste...)
void
Developer

Post by void »

I noticed it no longer shows the Context menus of other programs when I right click one of the results inside Everything.
This would be because Everything is x86 and these context menus are x64.
A x64 version of Everything is on my wish list.
Probably not the best solution, but you could try installing the x86 version of winmerge and Team Foundation Server.
generally speaking, i would love to see 'options' -> 'context menu' much more powerful and developed (with the possibility to rename/delete/move up/move down literally every context menu item, including the standard items like send to, open with, create shortcut, delete, cut, paste...)
This is on my wish list.
goamn

Post by goamn »

void wrote:
I noticed it no longer shows the Context menus of other programs when I right click one of the results inside Everything.
This would be because Everything is x86 and these context menus are x64.
A x64 version of Everything is on my wish list.
Probably not the best solution, but you could try installing the x86 version of winmerge and Team Foundation Server.
Awesome thanks I got winmerge to work. It took a while because winmerge has the same installer for x86/32 bit and 64 bit.
If anyone is interested, I uninstalled winmerge. Downloaded the zip version (not the installer, http://downloads.sourceforge.net/winmer ... .0-exe.zip), extracted it. Then I edited the "register.bat" (with notepad), and changed the 64 bit entries to use the old shell extension:

Code: Select all

IF "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" == "x86"   Set DLLPATH=%~dp0%ShellExtensionU.dll
IF "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" == "AMD64" Set DLLPATH=%~dp0%ShellExtensionX64.dll
IF "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" == "IA64"  Set DLLPATH=%~dp0%ShellExtensionX64.dll
So change the two entries which have "ShellExtensionX64.dll" to "ShellExtensionU.dll". Since ShellExtensionU.dll is the 32 bit. Save, run the Register.bat file. Now it will show up in the Everything tool. Downside is it won't show up in the Windows Explorer but that doesn't matter since it's almost a useless function without Everything.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

void
if you find time, please express your opinion concerning my problem with the context menu item from the program better file select (works in windows explorer and not in 'every-thing')

while its allied program better file rename works correctly (both in windows explorer and in 'every-thing')

these 2 programs are shell extensions so i suppose that 'every-thing' is not obliged to support them but 'better file rename' works and its very convenient
so i have a tiny hope that 'better file select' could work too
void
Developer

Post by void »

Better file select works with Everything 1.3.3.653b x64 or later.*
*only the context menu is shown, Better file select will not function at all.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

unfortunately better file select does not work with 1.3.3.653b (x86) (portable) on my win xp pro, 32-bit, sp 2
void
Developer

Post by void »

OK, I just assumed the better file select context menu item was not shown, Better file select will only work with Explorer.