%APPDATA% option

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
void
Developer

%APPDATA% option

Post by void »

What is %APPDATA%?
%APPDATA% is a special folder for storing settings and data for each user account.

Do I need to store settings and data in %APPDATA%?
This option should be enabled on XP when using multiple users accounts.
This option is not required on Vista or later, Windows will store your settings and data in a unique virtual store folder for each user account.
On Win9x this option is not available.

What settings and data does Everything store?
  • Everything.ini
  • Everything.db
  • Bookmarks.csv
  • Filters.csv
  • Search History.csv
  • Run History.csv
  • Errorlog.txt
Where is Everything really storing my data and settings with %APPDATA%\Everything enabled?
  • XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Everything
  • Vista or later: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Everything
Where is Everything really storing my data and settings with %APPDATA%\Everything disabled?
  • XP or earlier: Same location as Everything.exe
  • Vista or later: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Everything
Everything normally stores data in a virtual store for normal user accounts.
When running Everything as Administrator, settings and data are always stored in the same location as Everything.exe.

Where is my data and settings store in the portable version of Everything?
Data and settings in the portable version are stored in the same location as the Everything.exe file.
void
Developer

Re: %APPDATA% option

Post by void »

Virtual store support has been removed in "Everything" version 1.3.3.653b and later.
Updating to "Everything" version 1.3.3.653b will reset your settings if you had the %APPDATA% option disabled. Sorry for the Inconvenience.

%APPDATA%\Everything is the default location for data and settings when using the installer.

The portable version will continue to store settings and data in the same location as the exe.