Can I display what (what property, what file, etc.) at the moment is being indexed?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Can I display what (what property, what file, etc.) at the moment is being indexed?

Post by Biff »

Can I display what (what property, what file, etc.) at the moment is being indexed? And the remaining time for indexing (properties)? And for other actions (e.g. "Sorting file names" that appears to take most of the time after / while indexing and lasts very long here).

It appears indexing these properties of about 14.500 video files with four different extensions (*.mkv;*.mp4;*.avi;*.iso) takes some or many hours:

It appears scanning index properties stays at 5 % for an hour or longer:

Is it like it should be? Is there a way to make it faster?
Last edited by Biff on Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
void
Developer

Re: Can I display what (what property, what file, etc.) at the moment is being indexed?

Post by void »

The current file being scanned is shown under Tools -> Options -> Properties at the top right.

I will consider showing the time remaining in the status bar.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Indexing properties will take a very long time.
Indexing properties should only need to be done once.
Biff

Re: Can I display what (what property, what file, etc.) at the moment is being indexed?

Post by Biff »

The current file being scanned is shown under Tools -> Options -> Properties at the top right.
Can not find that (even on the screenshot above):
I will consider showing the time remaining in the status bar.
Many thanks!
Indexing properties will take a very long time.
Sorry, what does that mean to these questions: Is it like it should be? Is there a way to make it faster?

Did you see the editions on my first post?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Can not find that (even on the screenshot above):
Everything is indexing the properties of the root N: drive folder.
Is Everything stuck on this folder?

Sorry, what does that mean to these questions: Is it like it should be?
Yes, indexing properties will be slow.

Is there a way to make it faster?
Store your files on an NVMe SSD.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Everything is indexing the properties of the root N: drive folder.
Yes. Sorry, I meant can one display the file / folder being indexed at the moment?
Is Everything stuck on this folder?
Sorry, what folder? Where / how can one see that folder?...ah, now there are folders shown and files. And no, suddenly it is at 66 %. So even indexing the properties of the root (because N: was shown for a long time) does take that long obviously.
Store your files on an NVMe SSD.
OK, I would when I'm finally a multi-billionaire. Would there be such a big difference in speed?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Yes. Sorry, I meant can one display the file / folder being indexed at the moment?
It does display the current file/folder.
Everything is indexing the folder: N:

Sorry, what folder? Where / how can one see that folder?
Is the N: drive offline?
It's likely Everything was waiting for the N: drive to come online.

It will timeout after one minute.

Would there be such a big difference in speed?
HDD: ~30MB/s random reads.
SSD: ~300MB/s random reads.
NVMe SSD: ~3000MB/s random reads.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Is the N: drive offline?
No, no. Now the process suddenly goes on steadily, do not know why 5 % was shown for such a long time.
It's likely Everything was waiting for the N: drive to come online.
Or may be resources were used by another process / program?
HDD: ~30MB/s random reads.
SSD: ~300MB/s random reads.
NVMe SSD: ~3000MB/s random reads.
So it looks like such SSDs are incredibly much faster. So everything that lasts hours here then would take minutes with those SSDs.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please remove the Total Size on Disk property from Tools -> Options -> Properties.

This will gather the size on disk for all files (including all subfolders) for all folders.
It is extremely slow.

So it looks like such SSDs are incredibly much faster. So everything that lasts hours here then would take minutes with those SSDs.
I know it's not very practical for large video files.
Please try removing any unnecessary properties from your index for the best performance.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Please remove the Total Size on Disk property from Tools -> Options -> Properties.
This will gather the size on disk for all files (including all subfolders) for all folders.
Although having excluded all of the folders(?):

Please try removing any unnecessary properties from your index for the best performance.
Yes, I had tried it already. These files should be the only ones for which only these properties (*.mkv;*.mp4;*.avi;*.iso) are scanned.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Although having excluded all of the folders(?):
Yes, that property is really slow.
It will still need to gather every single file from all subfolders to calculate the total disk size on disk.
Biff

Post by Biff »

It will still need to gather every single file from all subfolders to calculate the total disk size on disk.
So obviously although the files are excluded they indeed are not, respectively not a single file is (may be a warning / hint near that property would be good and / or near other properties having the same / similar effect). Is there another way to get that size information?
void
Developer

Post by void »

So obviously although the files are excluded they indeed are not, respectively not a single file is (may be a warning / hint near that property would be good and / or near other properties having the same / similar effect).
This only applies to the "total disk size on disk" property.

While this property is only indexed for root folders, to calculate the total disk size, every single file needs to be searched.

Is there another way to get that size information?
Currently, no.
A "Used space" property is on my TODO list.

Consider using the Size property.
This property will be close to the size on disk property.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Consider using the Size property.
This property will be close to the size on disk property.
OK, I removed the other one. Many thanks!
Biff

Post by Biff »

At the moment in the properties tab the file names just being indexed are displayed but not the drive (letter) / entire path. How could one show both of them?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Hover over the text with the mouse cursor to show the full path and filename.
Biff

Post by Biff »

OK, I will try the next times, thank you.

Why is the entire path not shwon without hovering?
void
Developer

Post by void »

It is too long.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Too long, but actually here it looks like as if there would be enough space. OK, thank you.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1320a adds a "Used Disk Size" property.
Biff

Post by Biff »

That is great! Thank you very much!

After exiting Everything I cannot remove Everything64.exe. A message appears, saying something like, cannot be closed because it is open in Everything:

Do I have to close the Everything service in the Task Manager? Does that property just get the information from the dive (or from wherever) or does it have to index each single file?

Should I exclude files / folders or set anything else here(?):
Last edited by Biff on Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Should I remove Size on Disk (to be replaced with Used Disk Size):

Biff

Post by Biff »

I added some columns:

But they are not values shown:

What's the mistake?
void
Developer

Post by void »

After exiting Everything I cannot remove Everything64.exe. A message appears, saying something like, cannot be closed because it is open in Everything:
This issue can occur if the Everything Service is running or the Everything UI process is still running.

Please try exiting Everything and uninstalling the Everything Service:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Everything Service.
  • Click OK.
  • In Everything, from the File menu, click Exit.
  • Delete your Everything.exe

Do I have to close the Everything service in the Task Manager?
Yes, just stopping the Service is fine.
1319a and earlier will require administrative privileges to stop the Everything Service.
1320a+ will allow any user to stop the Everything Service.

If you are deleting the Everything.exe it will be better to uninstall the Everything Service.
Otherwise, Windows will try to start this service on next startup and the exe will not exist.

Does that property just get the information from the dive (or from wherever) or does it have to index each single file?
The Everything Service simply allows the Everything search client to index and monitor your NTFS volumes.
The Everything service is stateless and uses no notice RAM or CPU.
It is the Everything search client that does all the work maintaining your index.

To index the "Used Disk Size" property, I recommend setting the following options:
  • Check Include folders.
  • Uncheck Include files.
  • Leave include only folders blank.
  • Set Exclude folders to: **\**
    (this will index the "Used Disk Size" property for root folders only)
  • Uncheck Exclude not content indexed.
  • Optionally check or uncheck fast sort.

Should I remove Size on Disk (to be replaced with Used Disk Size):
Yes.

I added some columns:
But they are not values shown:
These properties are only indexed for your root folders.
Please include the following in your search:
root:
Coldblackice

Post by Coldblackice »

Biff wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:02 am That is great! Thank you very much!

Do I have to close the Everything service in the Task Manager? Does that property just get the information from the dive (or from wherever) or does it have to index each single file?

There may be an explorer hook that hasn't detached yet. You can download "Process Hacker" (it's a TaskManager on steroids, they're changing the name), open it, press CTRL-F, then search for "everything" or "everything64". It will show you everything that still has its grubby little fingers holding on to Everything/Everything64.

You can then close that program, or even just close the handles/hooks themselves.
Biff

Post by Biff »

OK, everything done, many thanks.
There may be an explorer hook that hasn't detached yet. You can download "Process Hacker" (it's a TaskManager on steroids, they're changing the name), open it, press CTRL-F, then search for "everything" or "everything64". It will show you everything that still has its grubby little fingers holding on to Everything/Everything64.

You can then close that program, or even just close the handles/hooks themselves.
OK, many thanks!