Difference: properties in Properties tab and properties columns?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Difference: properties in Properties tab and properties columns?

Post by Biff »

What is the difference between the properties being added here

and when I have set the columns set for the properties:

Respectively will only the properties be scanned being in the "Properties" field on the first screenshot? Or will all properties be scanned automatically when the properties columns are shown?
therube

Re: Difference: properties in Properties tab and properties columns?

Post by therube »

1. indexes said properties

2. loads them on demand, lazy-load at that, even so far as until a column is brought into focus, it does not load.
(so if you don't need the undo loading of said data, keep the column "off screen". & when you do need to see it, scroll over such that it then becomes visible.)
Biff

Post by Biff »

1. indexes said properties
So I definetely have to add those properties (the same as the column names on the screenshot above) to the Properties window to keep them in the Everything database and to load / show them quickly.
2. loads them on demand
If the drive is online (only).

I have these properties here now:

That does not work here, I am afraid. Everything started scanning the properties 1, 2 hours ago and it seems it will last some more hours and it slows down the computer extremely:

So perhaps I can use 1, 2 properties only to not to extremely slow down the scanning. Or is there another method to get all of these properties (on the screenshot above) scanned, anyway. In an acceptable time?

How could I make Everything stop scanning (without losing data, doing it with e.g. the Task Manager) the properties indexing (there is only a Pause option when right clicking), it is barely or not responsive?

Or is here an option to stop the properties scan(?):

Can one save, export or so all of the properties / a group of properties in the list here

or does one have to add them again (after removing them) from the "Select property" window?

Do I have to add these to the "Propertiy" tab(?):

What is the difference between Total-Size-On-Disk and Total-Disk-Size? And between Free-Disk-Size Available-Free-Disk-Size?

Total-Size does display information only for one of the online drives:

And Total-Size-On-Disk does not show any information at all under the columns. Why is that?

After adding these four properties Everything started a new properties scan which would last an hour or much more as it seemed:

I thought indexing these four properties would go very fast as there should be indexed only a single information from the drive (not from the files) but obviously it is not like that. So why does it take so long?

Or does the empty field mean all of the files are included automatically? And I have to exclude all files (*.*)?

How could one apply the properties to special drives only? For example, special properties shall be applied to hard disk G: and F: only.
void
Developer

Post by void »

So perhaps I can use 1, 2 properties only to not to extremely slow down the scanning. Or is there another method to get all of these properties (on the screenshot above) scanned, anyway. In an acceptable time?
Indexing the properties will give the best performance.

How could I make Everything stop scanning (without losing data, doing it with e.g. the Task Manager) the properties indexing (there is only a Pause option when right clicking), it is barely or not responsive?
You can pause property index from the Index menu or by right clicking the indexing properties progress bar in the status bar.

Do I have to add these to the "Propertiy" tab(?):
Add your properties to this property tab to include them in your index.
Standard properties such as file size, date modified and attributes are indexed under Tools -> Options -> Indexes.

What is the difference between Total-Size-On-Disk and Total-Disk-Size? And between Free-Disk-Size Available-Free-Disk-Size?
Total-Size-On-Disk
the total disk space required to store the specified file.
Can be larger than the file size.
Is often a multiple of the disk cluster size.

Total-Disk-Size
The total size of the disk.
This property will be the same for each file/folder.
It's not ideal to index this property for each file/folder.
It's useful for the following search:
root: addcolumn:total-disk-size

Free-Disk-Size
The total free size available on the disk.

Available-Free-Disk-Size
The total free size available on the disk for the current user (taking quotas into account).

And Total-Size-On-Disk does not show any information at all under the columns. Why is that?
Properties are not indexed from disk for file lists.
It's also possible that Everything has not indexed this information yet.
It can take a long time to gather this information.
Everything might not have permission to gather this information.

I thought indexing these four properties would go very fast as there should be indexed only a single information from the drive (not from the files) but obviously it is not like that. So why does it take so long?
Everything indexes the property for each file.

Or does the empty field mean all of the files are included automatically? And I have to exclude all files (*.*)?
empty = include all files.
Please uncheck Include files.

How could one apply the properties to special drives only? For example, special properties shall be applied to hard disk G: and F: only.
Set Include only folders to the desired drives:
g:\;f:\
Biff

Post by Biff »

Total-Disk-Size
The total size of the disk.
This property will be the same for each file/folder.
It's not ideal to index this property for each file/folder.
It's useful for the following search:
root: addcolumn:total-disk-size
So that is why here those folders are excluded:
void
Developer

Post by void »

All folders are still included here.

\ will not match any folders.

Exclude folders needs to be:

**\**
Biff

Post by Biff »

OK, corrected, thank you.