New version of Box Drive prevents Everything from opening items in Box

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
jesses

New version of Box Drive prevents Everything from opening items in Box

Post by jesses »

For the last several years, I've used Box Drive and Everything, pointing Everything to the Box virtual volume using Options -> Indexes -> Folders and adding C:\Users\<me>\Box to the folder list (as described in viewtopic.php?t=9723). Everything worked great!

This morning, Box Drive updated (to version 2.26.330). Now, every file and folder in Box cannot be opened through the Everything window. I can still find files and folders (likely because my index is still usable), but if I double-click on either the Name or Path in Everything, I get an error message that says:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

If I manually go to that path in my Box folder on my hard drive, everything is fine. I can open folders and files, etc. Box Drive's search functionality works.

I figured I'd try reindexing the Box virtual volume, but Everything can't access the virtual volume at all. If I go to Options -> Indexes -> Folders and rescan the Box folder, it finishes in about a minute (much faster than normal) and does not fix the problem. If I try to remove my Box folder, then add it again, I get an error message that says:

"You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder."

The Continue button has an admin shield on it. If I click that and click through Windows user access control, I get:

"You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab."

There's a link to the security tab. Following that shows that SYSTEM, Administrators, and my user account all have the same permissions, allowing everything except "Special permissions". If I try to edit permissions, I again click through Windows user access control, then get a message saying:

"Can't open access control editor. Unable to perform a security operation on an object that has no associated security."

I get the same error if I go into Advanced Security and try to change permissions.

I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2 build 19044.1586, with Everything 1.4.1.1005(x64) and Box Drive 2.26.330. I've tried restarting both Box Drive and Everything, and rebooting the computer. I've also tried forcing an index rebuild. None of that has resolved (or changed) the problem.

This is almost assuredly a change on the Box Drive end, but everything is working except Everything, so I'm hoping it can be resolved in Everything.

Thanks!
void
Developer

Re: New version of Box Drive prevents Everything from opening items in Box

Post by void »

This could be caused by running Everything as an administrator.

Please ensure Everything is running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
Please make sure Everything is running as a standard user:
  • Right click your Everything.exe or a shortcut to Everything
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the Compatibility tab.
  • Uncheck Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click OK.
Does the issue persist?
jesses

Post by jesses »

Everything has been set to run as a standard user, and not as an administrator. I confirmed that the settings were as you described, and restarted Everything. My problem is still there.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

What do the developers of Box Drive have to say about this issue?

Are the paths and files accessible in the Command Prompt (CMD.exe)?
jesses

Post by jesses »

The paths and files in the Box virtual volume are accessible, either through Explorer or through the command prompt.

I've reached out to Box to see what they can suggest.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

When the files and folders are visible and can gbe opened in the command prompt, Everything should be able to see these files too.

As a quick test, you can temporarily install IndexThis.
It's main purpose is to create a temporary Everything-list of a folder or a disk, but can also be used to create a separate "clean" temporary Everything.
This can help to detect if there is a setting in your regular Everything that gets in the way.

When installed, right-click the "C:\Users\<you>\Box" folder and choose Index This
Are there any files/folders listed? Can you open a file?

When done, you can uninstall IndexThis following the steps in the link above.
jesses

Post by jesses »

I've done what I should have done in the first place and uninstalled Box Drive, then Everything, then reinstalled Box Drive, then reinstalled Everything. This appears to have resolved the problem. I can open folders and files on Box Drive from my Everything window again.

Thanks to both void and NotNull for their helpful suggestions.
void
Developer

Post by void »

It appears access to the Box Drive is blocked when the process is named Everything.exe

I am reaching out to Box.

For now, you can copy your Everything.exe to something else, for example:
  • Copy your Everything.exe to Everything2.exe
  • Exit Everything from File -> Exit
  • Launch Everything2.exe
  • Check Start Everything on system startup. (please make sure this is tick-checked and not square checked)
  • Click OK.

Installing the x64 version of the Everything 1.5 alpha is another option.
Everything 1.5 alpha x64 uses the following executable filename: Everything64.exe which doesn't appear to be blocked.
inphinity

Post by inphinity »

void wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:31 am It appears access to the Box Drive is blocked when the process is named Everything.exe

Copy your Everything.exe to Everything2.exe
Exit Everything from File -> Exit
Launch Everything2.exe
This worked for me, after days of trying everything else I could think of. Curious to hear if/when Box responds. Thank you!
jdawg

Post by jdawg »

void wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:31 am It appears access to the Box Drive is blocked when the process is named Everything.exe

Copy your Everything.exe to Everything2.exe
Exit Everything from File -> Exit
Launch Everything2.exe
hello,

any update from BOX?
I am having the exactly the same issue, did try this method and got it worked again.
However, same problem happened again when I restarted the laptop.
Is there any other permanent fix that would not be affected by laptop/computer re-starting?
void
Developer

Post by void »

No update yet.

To make this solution more permanent:
  • Copy your Everything.exe to Everything2.exe
  • Exit Everything from File -> Exit
  • Launch Everything2.exe
  • Check Start Everything on system startup. (please make sure this is tick-checked and not square checked)
  • Click OK.
connordo

Post by connordo »

I'm also having this problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling both Everything and Box fixed the problem for a day, but now it's having the problem again. I tried the Everything2.exe fix and that doesn't seem to work for me.
n2hss

Post by n2hss »

Renaming to everything2.exe fixed this issue for me as well. Thanks!
jesses

Post by jesses »

Renaming the Everything executable to everything2.exe works in that it indexes the Box folder, which is great. Unfortunately, any time I restart my computer, I need to manually rescan the Box folder. (Other folders and mounted network volumes are continuously scanned, as expected.) That's still a much better state than when Everything couldn't access the Box folder at all.

Was there any response from Box on what might be happening?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Unfortunately, the last I heard was Box is still looking into the issue.
I will reach out to them again.

Please try contacting box.

Installing the x64 version of the Everything 1.5 alpha is another option.
Everything 1.5 alpha x64 uses the following executable filename: Everything64.exe which doesn't appear to be blocked.
jesses

Post by jesses »

I've been using the 1.5 alpha of Everything, which has some really slick features and works great on everything except Box Drive. The alpha version of Everything still needs to be told to manually rescan my Box Drive every time I restart my computer. Once it does that, it handles everything on Box Drive without problems. Very occasionally, it needs an additional rescan after a couple of days without a reboot.
void
Developer

Post by void »

If Everything does not remember your box drive, please make sure Everything is installed correctly:
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Restart Everything.
Does the issue persist?
jesses

Post by jesses »

I've just confirmed that those are the settings I've been using, and the problem is persisting.
void
Developer

Post by void »

The alpha version of Everything still needs to be told to manually rescan my Box Drive every time I restart my computer.
Could you please clarify the issue.

Does Everything completely forget your folder index under Tools -> Options -> Folders?
Do you need to readd this volume each time you restart your PC?

Or, is Everything not finding files in your box folder? and you have to hit rescan to find recent files?
Is it all files or just recent files that are missing?
jesses

Post by jesses »

When I start up my computer, my Box drive appears in the Folders list, but none of the files in it can be found in the Everything index. I have to manually rescan the Box drive for any of the files on Box to be in the Everything index.

• I boot up my computer. Everything 1.5 alpha starts up automatically, showing ~848K files.
  • Everything usually scans my hard drive and two network drives automatically.
  • These network drives can be found in Tools -> Options -> Indexes -> Network Drives.
  • I can always see my Box drive in the Options -> Indexes -> Folders list, but it's not indexed when I start up.
  • If I manually rescan the Box drive (either through the Options -> Indexes -> Folders window or through Indexes -> Rescan), then it takes 10-20 minutes to scan everything.
  • I can tell that's it's scanned correctly because the file count in the lower left of the Everything window goes from ~848K files to ~1188K files.
Once I manually rescan the Box folder, Everything works great until I restart my computer.

Please let me know if there's any other information I can provide.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Sounds like Everything is reindexing on startup.

What is shown for the "Last Rebuild Reason" under Tools -> Debug -> Statistics -> Build

Could you please make sure Everything is installed correctly:
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Please make sure the database location is blank.
  • Click OK.
  • Restart Everything.
jesses

Post by jesses »

Last rebuild reason is "Add remote volume", and last build date is 5/24/2022 1:23 PM. I think that's around the time when I first installed Everything 1.5.

I've checked those settings, and all were as you described. I did go ahead and restart. We'll see what tomorrow brings :)
jesses

Post by jesses »

I've worked around this issue by having Everything rescan my Box folder at 9 am every morning. Between a fresh scan every morning and monitoring changes, everything seems to be working well enough.
vern.zimm

Post by vern.zimm »

This is from Box support on a separate issue related to Everything... I have been using Everything64.exe and had no problems so far...
In regards to Everything, they intentionally block this process due to the traversing nature of the program as we do not support the use of Search/Index programs within Box Drive and wish to avoid runaway msyncing.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out and let us know. Otherwise we can work to close out this case.

Thank you for reaching out to Box Product Support! Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Best Regards,

Julie
Box Product Support
insert2

Post by insert2 »

First add Box drive folder as a network location (or map it as a new drive)
Second in Everything options under folders add this mapped folder to the indexes (Rescan now)
Third enjoy :)
jimmcwibb

Post by jimmcwibb »

insert2 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:45 pm First add Box drive folder as a network location (or map it as a new drive)
Second in Everything options under folders add this mapped folder to the indexes (Rescan now)
Third enjoy :)
I used the above method and it worked. I mapped a network drive pointing to my box folder like so:

\\localhost\C$\Users\<my username>\Box

Note the use of localhost and the dollar sign for the drive designation instead of a colon.

and then added that drive (Z: in my case) to the folders to scan in Everything.