Everything in task bar.

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
harryray2

Everything in task bar.

Post by harryray2 »

I have instances of Everything pinned on my taskbar on Win 7...If I minimise the Everything window and I hover over the taskbar icon a box pops up (showing Everything to be active)
However, if I minimise Everything with the x in the top right corner, hovering over the icon doesn't show anything.

Also if restored from when it's been minimised from the x it takes very slightly longer to appear and occasionally it takes quite a long time.
raccoon

Re: Everything in task bar.

Post by raccoon »

X means close, not minimize. The window is destroyed and no longer exists. The client area controls have to be recreated and repopulated with data. When you click X to close, memory and resources are freed up.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Everything 1.4, I assume? (otherwise please post in the Everything 1.5 Alpha forum to avoid confusion.

There are the hide_on_close and minimize_on_close (1.5) settings that have influence on that behaviour.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Sorry, I forgot to put that it's 1.5.

@raccoon, normally I would agree, as most other windows do that, but 1.5 is still running in task manager unless I exit and the behaviour of restoring the window is the same as when it's minimised.
I not 100% certain, but I think up until a couple of versions ago the task bar did show the pop up when I hovered. I'll have to restore an older version of 1.5 to check.

@notnull, thanks, I haven't seen those options, I'll give it a try but as I mentioned above I think this has just been happening since a couple of versions ago.

Are these settings fairly recent?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Topic moved to the Everything 1.5 Alpha forum.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Both hide on close and minimise on close are set to 0...If I set minimise on close the window appears in the task but it's the same as minimising the window in the first place.

Hide on close, as far as I can see, makes no difference.

I'm beginning to think, and I could be wrong (I often am), is that closing is the same as minimising except that it hides the window whereas minimising doesn't.

Following this logic through, if I have three windows open and I minimise one and close the other two then I will just have the window that I want showing in the task bar.
Which is good but if I want to then subsequently want to open the hidden windows, how do I do it?

It appears that once the window is hidden it can't be opened again.

It seems that if hide_on_close is activated, the hidden windows can be restored, one by one, by clicking the tray icon. The windows will reappear with each windows search parameters intact.
Not the best solution but at least it restores the hidden windows.

Unless there's another option, this will have to do at the moment.

Update:
Just realised this can be done via the tray, but the tray icons don't show the details of the window and only one icon per instance, not window.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

My question relates to a situation somewhat different form that raised on the start of this topic.
My Everything service is running in the background from the start of the computer. However, no EV icon is not displayed in the tray, until I open the application ready for search from its folder or with an .lnk file. And then the icon appears in the taskbar, but it disappears when I close the application. I am using EV version 1.5.0.1275a (x64). All fields in Settings > General – concerning shortcuts have ben ticked. When I used a former version, the icon in the tray was present all the time as long as the EV service was running in the background. It was a convenient way to open the application, stop the service etc. I would like to see EV working as it used to work. How could I get this?
froggie

Post by froggie »

Try checking
General> Start Everything on System Startup
and
General>UI>Run Everything in Background

Does this do what you want?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Another thing to check:

General > UI > Show tray icon
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Froggie and Notnull, thank you for your advice. What helped to solve the problem was the Froggie’s advice: "General>UI>Run Everything in Background". I simply thought that when the ET service is started by Windows anyway at the system start regardless of ET application running or not, this option might be left unchecked. Now, I see, I was wrong. All other settings mentioned by you both had been ticked before I asked for advice. Thanks again, Marek
Nighted

Post by Nighted »

Here's a question: How to never see the taskbar icon again?

Everything is always running and the tray icon is sufficient. The icon in the taskbar for me is redundant and unnecessary clutter.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Type or paste the following in the search bar and press ENTER:

Code: Select all

/show_in_taskbar=0
The effect will be shown in the statusbar for a few seconds

(you need to restart Everything to activate this setting).

To return to the default setting:
/show_in_taskbar=1
Nighted

Post by Nighted »

NotNull wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:43 pm Type or paste the following in the search bar and press ENTER:

Code: Select all

/show_in_taskbar=0
Perfect. 8-)