Everything in task bar.

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
harryray2

Everything in task bar.

Post by harryray2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:43 am

I have instances of Everything pinned on my taskbar on Win 7...If I minimise the Everything window and I hover over the taskbar icon a box pops up (showing Everything to be active)
However, if I minimise Everything with the x in the top right corner, hovering over the icon doesn't show anything.

Also if restored from when it's been minimised from the x it takes very slightly longer to appear and occasionally it takes quite a long time.

raccoon

Re: Everything in task bar.

Post by raccoon » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:38 pm

X means close, not minimize. The window is destroyed and no longer exists. The client area controls have to be recreated and repopulated with data. When you click X to close, memory and resources are freed up.

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:54 pm

Everything 1.4, I assume? (otherwise please post in the Everything 1.5 Alpha forum to avoid confusion.

There are the hide_on_close and minimize_on_close (1.5) settings that have influence on that behaviour.

harryray2

Post by harryray2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 pm

Sorry, I forgot to put that it's 1.5.

@raccoon, normally I would agree, as most other windows do that, but 1.5 is still running in task manager unless I exit and the behaviour of restoring the window is the same as when it's minimised.
I not 100% certain, but I think up until a couple of versions ago the task bar did show the pop up when I hovered. I'll have to restore an older version of 1.5 to check.

@notnull, thanks, I haven't seen those options, I'll give it a try but as I mentioned above I think this has just been happening since a couple of versions ago.

Are these settings fairly recent?

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:11 pm

Topic moved to the Everything 1.5 Alpha forum.

harryray2

Post by harryray2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:27 pm

Both hide on close and minimise on close are set to 0...If I set minimise on close the window appears in the task but it's the same as minimising the window in the first place.

Hide on close, as far as I can see, makes no difference.

I'm beginning to think, and I could be wrong (I often am), is that closing is the same as minimising except that it hides the window whereas minimising doesn't.

Following this logic through, if I have three windows open and I minimise one and close the other two then I will just have the window that I want showing in the task bar.
Which is good but if I want to then subsequently want to open the hidden windows, how do I do it?

It appears that once the window is hidden it can't be opened again.

It seems that if hide_on_close is activated, the hidden windows can be restored, one by one, by clicking the tray icon. The windows will reappear with each windows search parameters intact.
Not the best solution but at least it restores the hidden windows.

Unless there's another option, this will have to do at the moment.

Update:
Just realised this can be done via the tray, but the tray icons don't show the details of the window and only one icon per instance, not window.