USN Journal problem/Scheduled Task problem

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
pamelaahelmer

USN Journal problem/Scheduled Task problem

Post by pamelaahelmer »

I am trying to install 'Everything' on a non-administrative account. [I have access to an administrative account.] I want to be able to load 'Everything' as if I was using the administrative account, but on the non-administrative account. [Yes, I could right click, and 'Run As...' but I don't want to do that everytime.]

I've tried scheduled tasks, but when I have the option to do 'Run As...' for that, it only loads on that persons account, and the non-administrative account cannot enable USN Journal, which 'Everything' doesn't seem to work without.

When I try to enable USN Journal on the non-administrative account, I get this error message: Title: 'Open USN Journal' Body: 'Unable to open volume \\. \C:'

I'm fine with Scheduled tasks, as long as it works. Or a way around this error.

I'm using Windows XP, so the Support page is pretty much useless to me. And the Task Scheduler is completely different. Thanks for the help
NotNull

Re: USN Journal problem/Scheduled Task problem

Post by NotNull »

You need to enable the Run with highest privileges option for your task.

(If I understood correctly what you are asking; not sure ..)
void
Developer

Re: USN Journal problem/Scheduled Task problem

Post by void »

Running Everything as a scheduled task with a different user will not work on Windows XP.

While Everything will run, there is no accessible UI.

Please try installing the Everything Service with Everything 1.4.1.1010 or later:
  • Install Everything 1.4.1.1010.
  • Please make sure to install the Everything Service under NTFS indexing (it is unchecked by default on XP).
    -or-
  • Run the portable version and install the Everything Service from Tools -> Options -> General -> Everything Service
Run Everything as normal from your limited user account.
Everything will index your NTFS volumes with the Everything Service.

Please make sure Run as administrator is unchecked under Tools -> Options -> General -> Run as administrator.

There was a bug in previous versions of Everything (1009 or earlier) that would prevent Everything from talking to the Everything Service on Windows XP.