double results

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Muhackl

double results

Post by Muhackl »

how can I prevent EVERYTHING to display any result of any query twice?
void
Developer

Re: double results

Post by void »

NTFS volumes are automatically indexed by "Everything".

Adding a NTFS volume as a folder index will show duplicated results.

Please remove any NTFS volumes from your folder indexes:
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Folders tab.
  • Select any NTFS volumes and click Remove.
  • Click OK.
To check which NTFS volumes are automatically included:
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab.
  • NTFS volumes that have Include in database checked are already included as a NTFS index.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

Adding a NTFS volume as a folder index will show duplicated results
(in ET alpha 1.5) recently i found out that:
adding any folder as a folder index will show duplicated results (for that folder)

that's why i stopped experimenting/learning the 'indexes > folders' option right away
(duplicated results should never be present)

removing any NTFS volumes is not the solution in this case, as i understand
(i had no NTFS volume in my folder indexes anyway)

1) what is the purpose/practical use/sense of the 'indexes > folders' option?
2) how to use it without duplicated results? for instance, if there's only 1 added folder

3) could this option be useful for a user?: if there is a wish to get rid of a very frequent (kind of forced) re-calculation of folder-sizes
example of my case (20 TB, 5 drives)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

adamantine wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:24 pm
Adding a NTFS volume as a folder index will show duplicated results
(in ET alpha 1.5) recently i found out that:
adding any folder as a folder index will show duplicated results (for that folder)

that's why i stopped experimenting/learning the 'indexes > folders' option right away
(duplicated results should never be present)

removing any NTFS volumes is not the solution in this case, as i understand
(i had no NTFS volume in my folder indexes anyway)

2) how to use it without duplicated results? for instance, if there's only 1 added folder

3) could this option be useful for a user?: if there is a wish to get rid of a very frequent (kind of forced) re-calculation of folder-sizes
example of my case (20 TB, 5 drives)
Not confirmed here.
Trying to get such duplicates with no success.
Version 1.5.0.1257a (x64) with folder indexing on a NTFS volume
which is not in the default NTFS list does not produce any duplicates.
void
Developer

Post by void »

To add any folder to your Everything index.
For Everything 1.5, this includes virtual folders, not just file system folders.

Everything 1.5 has native support for FAT volumes, NTFS volumes, ReFS volumes, Network drives, File lists and Network indexes.
These volumes can be included separately from Tools -> Options.

Adding a folder under Tools -> Options -> Folders, that is also included from a FAT volume, NTFS volume, ReFS volume, Network drive, File list or Network index will add duplicates.
Please make sure the folder is not also included as a FAT volume, NTFS volume, ReFS volume, Network drive, File list or Network index.
This will not help with the performance of calculating the total folder size in the OS file property dialog.

Indexing folder sizes.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

To add any folder to your Everything index
ok. but i'm trying to understand. what is the reason for me to do it?
for example i added 1 huge folder (1 TB), then what is the benefit?
FAT volume ... ReFS volume, Network drive, File list or Network index
currently i don't use any of that
the performance of calculating the total folder size in the OS file property dialog
the important question: is there a way to launch this dialog really quickly? (for instance: just using some ET-bookmark) (or maybe using some ahk-script)
1) for all parent folders of all hard drives
2) for all parent folders of all hard drives (separately for each drive)
3) for selected parent folders (from selected hard drives)
void
Developer

Post by void »

but i'm trying to understand. what is the reason for me to do it?
For Everything 1.4 it was to add non-NTFS volumes to your index.
For example FAT volumes.
There's no reason to add NTFS volumes as a folder index (unless you wanted to run Everything as a standard user and with out the Everything Service)

Indexing as a NTFS volume is faster and more reliable than folder indexing.
the important question: is there a way to launch this dialog really quickly? (for instance: just using some ET-bookmark) (or maybe using some ahk-script)
I'll look into an option to record key-strokes/macros and play them back.
You might be able to do some of these now with Autohotkey.

To find all parent folders of all hard drives, search for:
folder:parents:1
2) for all parent folders of all hard drives (separately for each drive)
Tricky to do, maybe with a script:
search for:
folder:parent:a:

Select All
Show properties
search for:
folder:parent:b:

Select All
Show properties
search for:
folder:parent:c:

Select All
Show properties
and so on for all drives upto Z: -If a drive is missing, then showing properties should do nothing.
3) for selected parent folders (from selected hard drives)
This would need to be scripted somehow.

For example:
folder:parent:c:|folder:parent:e:|folder:parent:j:
Select All.
Show properties.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

several days ago i created the following small ahk-script (for the ET 1.4):
^/::          ; this line means: press ctrl+/ to start the script
run D:\Programs\ET\Everything.exe
WinWaitActive, ahk_exe Everything.exe
run "D:\Programs\Nircmd.exe" -load win setsize foreground 29 -5 0 0    ; it moves the ET window much higher so that all ~40 root folders were visible
sleep 1000
send ^!/          ; this line sends ctrl+alt+/ to load the ET-bookmark:    infolder:C:|infolder:D:|infolder:E:|infolder:F:|infolder:G:    !attrib:H
sleep 1000
sendinput {tab}
sleep 1000
send ^a
sleep 1000
sendplay {alt down}{enter}{alt up}
return
the script is not great but it works. it performs this task: 1) for all the necessary root folders of all hard drives

if there's a better approach, please let me know
I'll look into an option to record key-strokes/macros and play them back
maybe this option could be more interesting than my script (it's hard to say now)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

A couple of thoughts on this.
  • You can let Everything index folder sizes [1], so Everything already knows the size of a folder. Select your folders and the summed total size will be shown in the statusbar [2]
  • Added to the above: You can use the cammand-line tool ES.exe as follows to report foldersize: es.exe c:\windows -gettotalsize.
    Be aware that you can (hardly) do calculations on that size when in CMD, as that uses 32-bit number. So numbers > 2^^31 = 2G are not supportd.
  • It might be a lot faster to get the total used space on a disk (that will be reported instantaneous by Windows and 'measure' the hidden files/folders in the root of a disk. Substract the two and you got your result.
  • You wrote a script to save yourself half a second to let the system run (for what? half an hour?) to analyze disk usage?
  • Can't tell if it useful to you, but you can try to search for root: C:|D:|E:|F:|G:, select all in the resultlist and press ALT+ENTER.
    That will return immediately with the used space of each disk (a tab per disk)

[1] Enable Index folder size (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes)
[2]Enable Show total size in status bar (Menu:Tools > Options > View)
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

NotNull, i always have the 'index folder size' option enabled
the summed total size will be shown in the statusbar
there's no need for me to know their total size. the sense of this whole situation/calculation is different
the sense is thoroughly described here (i already posted this link: several messages above)

in a few words: from time to time (regularly) it is very needed to have much more responsive file management
the responsiveness begins to suffer after various things happened:
- almost all of them are not very clear to me (maybe it's some stuff related to the OS cache or something)
- some of them refer to relatively big amount (~ 4-5 gb or more) of newly downloaded data
these aspects were also described in that link

the script was created as an experiment
i'm not completely satisfied with it since it only calculates the size of root folders from all 5 hard drives at once

this script is kind of useful in case i take a short/long break (afk)
so before going somewhere, i just need to press ctrl+/
and when i'm back, the task/calculation is done
and under such circumstances, i don't care if it takes 3-7 seconds or 10-15 minutes
(both durations are possible, depending on the current state of that "OS cache")
but when i'm not planning a break, the speed of calculation is really important (so this script is not very useful in such a case)

(in current reality) more frequently i need to have a 3 times faster triple calculation:
1) all root folders (except 26 system hidden folders that i don't need/use) in the drives c + d + e (in the first OS file property dialog)
2) all root folders (except 2 system hidden folders that i don't need/use) in the drive f (in the second OS file property dialog)
3) all root folders (except 2 system hidden folders that i don't need/use) in the drive g (in the third OS file property dialog)

1 of the most strange aspect is the following:
why does the OS need to re-calculate (for quite some time) the size of all root folders from a drive (say, E:)? if there was not a single change in any of its folder/file (during the recent several days)