add in the sort by the option: "length"

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
duduelg

add in the sort by the option: "length"

Post by duduelg »

Is it possible to add in the classification by the option: "length", as it exists in Windows Explorer?

I really wanted this feature, because I have thousands of videos separated into more than 100 subfolders and, with this option, I was able to organize the files by length (video length) and thus eliminate duplicate files, following the thumbnail view. The files are in different formats and video encodings; therefore, tools that look for duplicate files do not work in my case.

As I said, there is this function in Windows Explorer, however, it takes a long time for Windows Explorer to organize thousands of video files (more than 30 minutes) in that order of duration. And every time I turn off the computer, I have to do this research again.

I would be grateful for an answer and even more grateful if that option was put in a future version of this great app!

Sorry for my English, I'm not fluent!
therube

Re: add in the sort by the option: "length"

Post by therube »

PlayTime Quickly calculate the total play time of a list of most any music or movie file.

How to extract duration time from ffmpeg output?

There are video "catalogers" (or similar) out there.
(I've never used any of them.)
Perhaps, tinyMediaManager or Other Useful Tools.
duduelg

Post by duduelg »

therube wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:48 pm PlayTime Quickly calculate the total play time of a list of most any music or movie file.

How to extract duration time from ffmpeg output?

There are video "catalogers" (or similar) out there.
(I've never used any of them.)
Perhaps, tinyMediaManager or Other Useful Tools.

Thanks, but it didn't work for me. The program does not show thumbnail views.

I need a tool that shows files in thumbnail views and is organized in order of duration, either descending or ascending quickly, as the "Everything" program does.

Example: there is a list of 100 video files, most with different video times, but there are two files with equal content and viewing time. I want to see these two files side by side in the thumbnail view and decide to delete this duplicate file.
As I said, programs that find duplicate files don't work in my case, because although the video content is the same, they are in different formats.
void
Developer

Post by void »

A 'Length' column is currently in development.

Searching, indexing and sorting by length/duration information is in development.

Thanks for the suggestion.
duduelg

Post by duduelg »

Great! Thank you!
Looking forward to a new version! :D :lol: ;)
guan7654321

Post by guan7654321 »

I would like to upvote this enhancement suggestion. Being able to sort, display, and filter by video length is the one key missing attribute in this amazing program.

As duduelg said, when videos are different formats, or even the same format but encoded differently, length is the best way to detect duplicates.
Jack66

Post by Jack66 »

This post, around a year ago talks about length being in development, I'm not seeing it, so I assume it is still being worked on?

It would be very useful.
void
Developer

Post by void »

A length column is in development.

If you would like to try this now, please try the Everything 1.5 alpha.

Length Column
Jack66

Post by Jack66 »

Ok, I think I might just do that.

EDIT:

First impressions, I really like the skin, quick question, is it better to only have one associated at a time? or is it ok to have both? I'm going to stop launching the other one at launch, but just in case I run into an issue, it would be nice to have it ready to go.
duduelg

Post by duduelg »

void wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:02 am A length column is in development.

If you would like to try this now, please try the Everything 1.5 alpha.

Length Column
Thank you very much! This is exactly what I wanted!
As I understand it, I need to index the "length" property so that I can quickly view the files in order. Would it be this?

Once again thank you very much and health and success in your life!
void
Developer

Post by void »

To index the length property:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Properties tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select Length and click OK.
  • Optionally set the include only folders. eg: D:\Media;E:\My Movies
  • Optionally adjust the include only files. eg: *.mp3;*.flac
  • Click OK.
duduelg

Post by duduelg »

void wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:35 am To index the length property:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Properties tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select Length and click OK.
  • Optionally set the include only folders. eg: D:\Media;E:\My Movies
  • Optionally adjust the include only files. eg: *.mp3;*.flac
  • Click OK.
Thanks!
I did it! Of the nearly 40,000 files, he was unfortunately unable to display and classify the length of about 2,000 files, of different formats, sizes and folder locations. I undid and redid the indexing, removing "length" from the list of properties of the indexer, applying the modification and then adding the "length" again and applying the modifications, without success.

I remember that in Windows Explorer this happened with some old files in the * .mpg format, but in a much smaller number, something around tens.

I hope that this can be resolved in the next beta versions or in the final version. Anyway, it helped me a lot.
duduelg

Post by duduelg »

I noticed that the program doesn't show the duration of specific video file types like: * .3gp, * 3gpp, *. m4v, *.mov, *.mpe, *.mpg, *.mpeg, *.rm, *.rmvb and *.wmv

And others not as important to me as: *.3g2, * .asf * .vob and *.ts

If even the final version of the program were added to this functionality, I would be very grateful!
duduelg

Post by duduelg »

duduelg wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:11 am I noticed that the program doesn't show the duration of specific video file types like: * .3gp, * 3gpp, *. m4v, *.mov, *.mpe, *.mpg, *.mpeg, *.rm, *.rmvb and *.wmv

And others not as important to me as: *.3g2, * .asf * .vob and *.ts

If even the final version of the program were added to this functionality, I would be very grateful!
Ignore the post above, I was able to find the option and change the configuration. The program is working the way I want! Thank you very much!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Normally these type of files will not display any valid length data in Everything.

File types known to Everything

Support for mpg and other variants are on my TODO list.

It is possible to add support for these file types with third party system property handlers.

As you have already found.. (might be helpful for others)

If you do have third party system property handler installed to support these file types, please make sure you include the file extension in the include only files list under Tools -> Options -> Properties -> Length -> Include only files.
therube

Post by therube »

(It's probably not going to be an issue about "type" [i.e., container], but rather an issue about codecs [& what the underlying OS knows of the same, & or what support is directly included for same within Everything].
Like with .flv, being a bit of an exception, in Win7, it is not "known" by Windows, so [prior to] its support being added into Everything, Length would turn up blank. Now, it is there :-).
As it is, most likely all those "types" are known, already. But there could be particular codecs that particular types might use that are not know. [Likely less common ones at that.])