REsult list - content view

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
NotNull

REsult list - content view

Post by NotNull »

Suggestion to add a new view, next to details and thumbnails, like this:
2019-11-23 14_14_46-everything.exe - search-ms_displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20Local%20Disk%20(C.png
2019-11-23 14_14_46-everything.exe - search-ms_displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20Local%20Disk%20(C.png (61.84 KiB) Viewed 12998 times
(although it has quite a few limitations in the way MS implemented it: can't remove the type "column" and width of columns isn't resizable, which causes long paths still not being shown in full. And that was the inspiration for this suggestion after all: another way to show long folderpaths)

Microsoft calls it content view and it is available since (at least) Win7.
rgbigel

Re: REsult list - content view

Post by rgbigel »

I think this would be quite useful.

I would also suggest to generaslize this: show explorer in the results window when a folder is selected, showing the files in selectable views.

It would save having to open an explorer window, e.g. when walking directories.
therube

Post by therube »

Microsoft calls it content view and it is available since (at least) Win7.
Hmm... so it is.
With a quick look, where is the use case, what is the benefit?
(To me, even when additional information is shown, it's hardly laid out in a meaningful manner.)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

rgbigel wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:27 pm show explorer in the results window when a folder is selected, showing the files in selectable views.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but a folder-tree pane (like File Explorer) is on the to do list.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

therube wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:00 pm With a quick look, where is the use case, what is the benefit?
As said: useful for long folderpaths.

But the main reason I suggested this, is the (very optimstic) idea to integrate Everything in a file manager.
I would love to have a dual pane filemanager where one pane could be used to run Everything (including Search as you type).
The normal Details-view is not suited very well for this. Content view on the other hand ...
(Currently testing MultiCommander for this; my love for Q-Dir is almost over).
But the chances that I ever get this to work are minimal (and thus make this suggestion unnecessary)

BTW: Not all layouts are for everyone. Personally I have never used the Thumbnails view; not in Everything, not in Explorer ..
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

NotNull wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:35 pm
therube wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:00 pm With a quick look, where is the use case, what is the benefit?
As said: useful for long folderpaths.

But the main reason I suggested this, is the (very optimstic) idea to integrate Everything in a file manager.
I would love to have a dual pane filemanager where one pane could be used to run Everything (including Search as you type).
The normal Details-view is not suited very well for this. Content view on the other hand ...
(Currently testing MultiCommander for this; my love for Q-Dir is almost over).
But the chances that I ever get this to work are minimal (and thus make this suggestion unnecessary)

BTW: Not all layouts are for everyone. Personally I have never used the Thumbnails view; not in Everything, not in Explorer ..
Everything is fully integrated in Total Commander file manager.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

horst.epp wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:09 pm Everything is fully integrated in Total Commander file manager.
Thanks for mentioning this!

I know about Total Commander (it's one of the 15+ file managers on my system).
Unfortunately TC does not support Search as you type and the Everything search syntax.
And if you "export" the search results to a temporary pane, it looses file details like size, date modified, etc.

But still, it's among the file managers with the best Everything integration ...
tuska

Post by tuska »

NotNull wrote:Unfortunately TC does not support Search as you type and the Everything search syntax.
TC does not support 'Search as you type' *) in terms of 'Everything' but TC can use the 'Everything' search syntax.
*) TC does support 'Search as you type' with a plugin.
NotNull wrote:And if you "export" the search results to a temporary pane, it looses file details like size, date modified, etc.
You don't loose anything.
This can be done without problems with a combination of a 'Custom columns view', 'View Mode' and 'Auto Switch Mode' automatically.

Regards
Karl
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

tuska wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:55 pm This can be done without problems with a combination of a 'Custom columns view', 'View Mode' and 'Auto Switch Mode' automatically.
Thanks for that! Works.
tuska wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:55 pm but TC can use the 'Everything' search syntax.
:shock: How? Where can I enter my (example) query c:\temp dummy !pic: ?
tuska wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:55 pm *) TC does support 'Search as you type' with a plugin.
Which plugin? This is very promising!
tuska

Post by tuska »

tuska wrote:This can be done without problems with a combination of a 'Custom columns view', 'View Mode' and 'Auto Switch Mode' automatically.
NotNull wrote:Thanks for that! Works.
That was quick! :-)
If you need more information about this topic, have a look here.

Here are the answers:
Search queries in TC using 'Everything'

QuickSearch eXtended for Total Commander
- It's enough to just start typing [The TC-option "Branch View (With Subdirs) - Ctrl + B" I find interesting in this context ...]
- Ctrl+S displays the search menu below and settings are possible
- Ctrl+Shift+S displays the search menu below and shows the last search term
- Ctrl+R = Reread source directory
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

tuska wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:29 pm That was quick! :-)
I already had that one figured out myself, before reading your post :). Still thankful, of course.

I will have to experiment with (all) your other suggestions
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the "content view" suggestions.

I'll consider adding something like this.

I have already added to a future version of Everything:
  • The option to set the small icon size (defaults to 16 logical pixels)
  • The option to use thumbnails for icons.
Enabling thumbnails for icons and setting the small icon size to 32 pixels looks good and imo is easier to read than alternating lines of information, although there is a lot more white space.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

For inspiration purposes, here is how some other programs implemented this.
Thanks for considering it.
2019-11-26 15_34_48-LauncherSearchWindow.png
2019-11-26 15_34_48-LauncherSearchWindow.png (160.89 KiB) Viewed 12940 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

Added to my TODO list: Add content view option.
Different colors makes the information more distinguishable.