Hide file extension

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Binocular222

Hide file extension

Post by Binocular222 »

Hi,
We already have "Extension column" and also icon aid much in distinguish file types, so it's neat to hide extension from name column.
Do you think so?
therube

Re: Hide file extension

Post by therube »

Right-click any column header will allow you to select the columns you want to be (in)visible.
Binocular222

Post by Binocular222 »

No, both "Name" and "Extension" column should still be shown, but "Name" column should not show file extension (just showing files' base name only)
Binocular222

Post by Binocular222 »

:Bump:
Any update on this issue?
punxsutawney72

Post by punxsutawney72 »

I prefer the current status - ie the extension is displayed in the name column.

Maybe there could be an extra option in Tools/Options ("file extension in name column visible yes/no") or - even better - Everything could display or hide the file extension according to the current Windows explorer settings ("hide known file type extensions yes/no").

Heinz
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will consider adding an ini option to hide extensions.
waleed432

Post by waleed432 »

Hi, for some of us who grab stuff off the net and wind up with a bunch of filenames with periods and sometimes without:

it would be REALLY nice if there could be an option that would make Everything treat a . and a space as the same. (yes, I know I could do a regex and use . all the time). But it's a hassle to go through what I've pasted and change each space to a period. Or is there a way to do this already? Help. http://gamesmagzine.com/
Last edited by waleed432 on Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clavotte

Post by Clavotte »

void wrote: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 am I will consider adding an ini option to hide extensions.
Has this been done yet ?

Clavotte
void
Developer

Post by void »

It's still on my TODO list for the next major version.
Clavotte

Post by Clavotte »

Brillant
Harry

Post by Harry »

The first message/question was on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:44 pm, now is April 14, 2020
is the answer "It's still on my TODO list for the next major version" still credible? I do not believe that. That's keeping people on the line / fooling people as we say in the Netherlands.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Harry wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:06 am The first message/question was on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:44 pm, now is April 14, 2020
is the answer "It's still on my TODO list for the next major version" still credible? I do not believe that. That's keeping people on the line / fooling people as we say in the Netherlands.
Did you ever have a look on the To-do list of void ?
Why should there be any pressure just because you want it ?
I guess you didn't even consider to spend some money ;)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Let me get this straight:

@void created and maintains a world-class program in his own time and offers it to the world FOR FREE.
A lot of people like it very much and offer suggestions to extend it (have you ever noticed that it's always the good programs that get suggestions?) In the case of Everything: *a lot* of suggestions. Take a look here for the Top 500 (more or less).

So now your idea to get this specific suggestion implemented is by insulting the author?
horst.epp wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 pm I guess you didn't even consider to spend some money ;)
If you want to keep Everything alive and help @void spend time on it, you can do so here.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Of course I saw the todo list. I'm not pressuring anyone. I am not the only one asking for this option, many people would like to have this option, already since 2013! It is strange to always get the same answer from this request, 'it's on my TODO list'. Either you work on it and fix it or you don't want to do that and indicates that it will not come in the short term, but you do not offer people an ice cream for seven years and longer. And what does a donation have to do with that? Nothing! And insulting the writer is not an issue at all. Those are your words.

And I sent the Author-Voidtools an e-mail long ago that we work a lot in the Netherlands with iDeal payments and not PayPal, so he also misses that opportunity because that iDeal is not there!

It is clear that this forum is not even able to withstand minor criticism and suggestions and that people here do not respect freedom of expression and that is not neat. Fortunately, I live and work in the Netherlands.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Harry wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:38 am Fortunately, I live and work in the Netherlands.
And so do I.

We have the *legal* right to say almost anything we want, but that doesn't mean we have to overstep boundaries of normal decent human interaction.
Besides: freedom of expression is not a one way street where you are allowed to say anything and then can't handle the responses you get on that.

I will ask you once again:
Are statements like "aan het lijntje houden" en "voor de gek houden" the best way to get your wish granted?
Let me help you: they are not. It is not helpful, not constructive and might even work counterproductive (if I was the developer, it would go straight to the bottom of my to-do list; never reward this type of behaviour).
Other people ask for the status of their requests too, but all of them in a much friendlier way. At least in the 3 years that I am active on this forum.

A bit of background why I respond this way (and I assume the same goes for @horst.epp):

@void is a *very* good developer. I'm not one myself, but quite often I work with developers form all over the world (as I work for companies and organizations you hear from on an almost daily basis in the Netherlands and they tend to outsource their development).
I can tell you: @void is one of the better ones.

Whenever there is an issue (not necessarily a bug) with Everything, it gets fixed fast, very fast.
Since the first post in this thread in 2013 there were somewhere between 500 an 1000 new releases.

But these are updates and fixes for the existing feature-set.
New features are typically intriduced in major updates. The next major update will be version 1.5 .
This suggestion is not a fix, but a new feature, so you will have to wait for a major release.
Just like anyone else that suggests a new feature (and that includes me too).

@void is currently working full-time on that major release (and I suspect that this is well beyond full-time ..)
Meaning that his sole source of income at this moment comes from donations.
If that is not enough to pay the bills, chances are that might slow down or even stop further development of Everything to find another source of income.
So yes, donations have EVERYTHING to do with it!

Long story short: @void is working very hard on Everything, even if you don't see it (but the "regulars" here certainly do).
Accusing him of stalling and fooling people is not classy and not constuctive. It also is not true.

FWIW: it is very easy to create a PayPal account and it is even easier to link it to your bank-account (through iDeal).
Last edited by NotNull on Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ovg

Post by ovg »

2NotNull
Bravo! Excellent! You are a rock! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

NotNull wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:26 pm New features are typically intriduced in major updates. The next major update will be version 1.5 .
This suggestion is not a fix, but a new feature, so you will have to wait for a major release.
Just like anyone else that suggests a new feature (and that includes me too).
In the meantime Everything 1.5 was released. The alpha version is available for testing.

In this version it is possible to hide file extensions:
On the search bar, type the following and press ENTER

Code: Select all

/hide_extension=1
To show the file extensions again:

Code: Select all

/hide_extension=0