Search + Enter

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Stamimail

Search + Enter

Post by Stamimail »

Currently, when doing "Search + Enter", the item with the highest RunCount is selected.

I think things can be improved here:
1. After Enter - the Result List should be auto-sorted by RunCount.
2. Then, the user will also be able to move items by ↑↓ hotkeys up/down in the Result List (it will give new values to their RunCount according to their place in this list)

Another idea (less good in my opinion) is to do it by RunCount dialog (Ctrl+J). Meaning that when doing "Search + Enter" it will open the RunCount dialog, letting the user to do the same as described above.
raccoon

Re: Search + Enter

Post by raccoon »

I don't know that giving files fake run counts just to arbitrarily move them up/down a list that's sorted by Run Count is the most intuitive or user-friendly idea.

What you can do is change the behavior of hitting Enter in the search bar to do a different task that you might find altogether more useful. This is possible in Everything 1.5 Alpha which is in development for public testing.
search_edit_enter_action

Set the action when pressing ENTER from the search box.

Can be one of the following.
0 = Do nothing
1 = Focus most run result (default)
2 = Focus last run result
3 = Focus top visible result (if no result focus)
4 = Focus top result
5 = Focus bottom result
6 = Focus search box and select all text
By typing the command /search_edit_enter_action=4 [then enter], you can change the default behavior to something else, like focusing the top result.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

The default is good. When you press "Search + Enter" you want
But sometimes, you miss the target and you need the 2nd or the 3rd of the RunCount...
After all, that is what Menu| File > Set Run Count... is for.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Do you have the Run Count column visible, and would you find it useful for the Run Count column to always be sorted by default? Not only when you press the Enter key?

The default column sort behavior can be defined from Options -> General -> Home -> Sort: [Run Count]
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

My default is:
Options -> General -> Home -> Sort: [Name (Ascending)]

Only when I press Enter and there is an item/s with RunCount exist, I think the Result List can be improved to change its behaviour and display things differently.

If I press Enter and there is no item with RunCount, the current behaviour is OK.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

@void, Maybe an option 7 = Sort by Run Count and focus most run result, aka top result.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Stamimail wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:36 am 1. After Enter - the Result List should be auto-sorted by RunCount.
2. Then, the user will also be able to move items by ↑↓ hotkeys up/down in the Result List (it will give new values to their RunCount according to their place in this list)
ad. 1. Why not simply make your default Home sort Run Count (descending) then? When you need something else, like Name, click the Name column as that is easily accessible. (that is what I do. btw)
ad. 2. A +/- instead of Up/Down? In my opinion, Up/Down should always select the next item/row.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

ad. 1. Why not simply make your default Home sort Run Count (descending) then? When you need something else, like Name, click the Name column as that is easily accessible. (that is what I do. btw)
I knew @raccoon can ask you @NotNull about his question:
raccoon wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:12 pmwould you find it useful for the Run Count column to always be sorted by default? Not only when you press the Enter key?
The Name (Ascending) & Run Count (Descending) are both needed. There are several ways to solve the same thing. I'm just trying to improve.

ad. 2. A +/- instead of Up/Down? In my opinion, Up/Down should always select the next item.
I meant hotkeys like Alt+Up/Down for example, or ↑↓ buttons in dialog-box. You can also think about Alt+Dragging with mouse.
To be able to select item/s and move them easily to the desired position in the list.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Stamimail wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:21 pm The Name (Ascending) & Run Count (Descending) are both needed. There are several ways to solve the same thing. I'm just trying to improve.
OK, just trying to understand your workflow (not forcing my way of doing things on you; that would be a bad way for most people :)).
Another alternative: Add a keyboard shortcut to View | Sort By | Run Count. 'CTRL + R' for example.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

NotNull, as a user that always uses Run Count (descending), what are you saying about idea 2. , do you think it could have helped you, or not needed?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the suggestions.

For the next alpha update I have added keyboard commands for incrementing/decrementing/clearing the run count.

I find it jarring having the sort order change on enter.
An alternative is to set your Everything filter sort to run count.
As long as the Everything filter is active, changing the search will reset the sort order to run count.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Add keyboard commands for incrementing/decrementing/clearing the run count.
If you have 100 items with a value of 1 RunCount, I guess it will not help.
I think my assumption was probably wrong. Because editing the RunCount affects not only the current search but also other searches.
The goal was the ability to organize the results in the same search (for the next time you using the same search).
As long as the Everything filter is active, changing the search will reset the sort order to run count.
If the user wants to add/edit the current search, I guess he will want the sort order to be kept.
So the reset of the sort should be when the SearchBox is empty rather than when changing the search.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Stamimail wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:42 pm NotNull, as a user that always uses Run Count (descending), what are you saying about idea 2. , do you think it could have helped you, or not needed?
I am the wrong person to ask, really. I like my tools to be simple and straightforward, without a lot of bells and whistles or features that are far from the core-functionality. Almost minimalistic, in some way.

You can't explain to anyone that cursor down as well as ENTER bring you to the result list, but ENTER will rearrange your results in one of 7 different ways. Option=0 and =6 make sense, the others don't. Especially when there are simple, quick alternatives available that do not require anything beyond methods that all Windows users are already familiar with (CTRL+END to go to the bottom, etc).
Results need to be predictable.

And changing the sort order upon ENTER .. horror, just horror ..

So no, that option would not help me. Better ask a 'normal person' :)

BTW: Usually "/option=" + ENTER (without value) will restore the default out of the box value of option.
In the case of /search_edit_enter_action=, it resets to value 0 (where 1 is he default)
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Do you have a better idea how to enter to "RunCount mode"? OK, you can say that saving one step it's not a big deal.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Stamimail wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:18 pm
Do you have a better idea how to enter to "RunCount mode"? OK, you can say that saving one step it's not a big deal.
Still ugly, but if it helps you ....

Instead of 'ENTER', press 'ALT + ENTER', 'DOWN'. Or 'ALT + ENTER', 'ENTER' after reonfiguring /search_edit_enter_action

2022-02-25 17_04_02-Everything Options.png
2022-02-25 17_04_02-Everything Options.png (11.13 KiB) Viewed 7866 times
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

This topic started because the meaning of the default "Search + Enter" in Everything is landing on the highest RunCount result.(No matter what the current sort is)
I did not say that it is impossible to reach the desired in two or three steps.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Then I misunderstood your question(s). Sorry.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1304a adds keyboard commands to increment or decrement the run count.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

raccoon wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:04 am 0 = Do nothing
Hey @void. When using the command /search_edit_enter_action= alone with an empty parameter, it changes the setting to 0 instead of the default of 1.
void
Developer

Post by void »

This is currently expected.

Currently, Everything doesn't know the default value and will treat an empty value as 0.

It's on my TODO list to add group policy support.
I will look into using the default value when group policy support is added.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Ah, thanks. Though I am mildly confused since Everything populates these configs with their default values, not just on first-run, but any time we delete a config from the .ini entirely and Everything restarts. So It seems to already know /of/ the default values, somewheres.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Currently, on startup, Everything will initialize settings to their default values.

However, once the Everything.ini is loaded, Everything no longer knows the default values.
There's no internal table of default values. This is something I need to add.