Display thumbnails of images

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Mickey

Display thumbnails of images

Post by Mickey »

I do a lot of programming and web design and have hundreds of bitmaps. I'd like Everything to be able to show me the results of files with the extension jpg, png, bmp as thumbnails so I can easily find images that I'm looking for. Something like Explorer's "View Tiles" or "View Icons" would be great.

Mickey
klaufag

Re: Display thumbnails of images

Post by klaufag »

Same Problem here. Without thumbnails its useless to me. :(
stevelon

Post by stevelon »

Yeah, I'd like a thumbnail display too, but the following seems to work OK until the next release.
Get Irfanview.
Get the command line version of Everything (es.exe) and put it somewhere in the path.
Create the following batch file, say est.bat
es.exe -s ""%*"" > c:\match.txt
"C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /filelist=c:\match.txt /thumbs
del c:\match.txt
(the -s sorts results by full path if you want that).
To run:
Win-R (for run window)
type "est <search pattern that you would type in Everything>"
Does the job. If anyone has a better method I'd be interested.
Bizzarro

Post by Bizzarro »

@stevelon

I followed your instructions and I can get the bat to run if I double click on it but I can not get it to run from the run box.

It just says windows can not find est. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.

I think I am missing one step. How do i get windows to recognize the batch command by its name?
stevelon

Post by stevelon »

Longer answer:
To get the batch file to be recognised by name you have to put it in a folder that's in the "path". This also applies to es.exe, as I said in the instructions.

If you don't know what I mean by "path" then put them both in c:\windows. That's usually in the "path" - which is the set of folders searched by windows for executable files, allowing you to just type the name (e.g "es") rather than the full "path" name, like "c:\program files\everything\es.exe".

To see the folders currently searched on your system, run "cmd" and type "path" to see your choices if you're not happy - or unable - to plonk the files into c:\windows.

I hope that makes sense.

Short answer: copy est.bat and es.exe into c:\windows
Bizzarro

Post by Bizzarro »

@stevelon

Nice.

This is a huge tip for me. I wish i had learned about it a long time ago.

1 prob though ... I can get the batch to execute but it is showing null results due to the match.txt displaying...

"Everything IPC window not found, IPC unavailable."

Instead of my search variable.

What exactly is the match.txt file? Is it the output of the es.exe search?

If I have already run es from a different location could that be causing the mixup?

Thanks..
stevelon

Post by stevelon »

Firstly, the script was only a guide. Can't say that things will literally work exactly as typed by me (e.g. you might not have a 64 bit system so the I_view program might be in \program files rather than \program files (x86))

Yes match.txt is supposed to contain a list of matching files, but that error message shows that the main "everything" program is not running (don't you have it running all the time to track your file changes?)

es.exe gives command line access to the main "everything" program, which *needs to be running*, at least in the background.

Maybe my "everything" settings are different from the norm but I have it set to run on system startup, and in the background (invoked by a keyboard hotkey- see Tools->Options->General) so that it continuously tracks changes to my file systems. I assumed everyone else did the same!

Anyway, just make sure that "everything" is running and you won't get that error.
Bizzarro

Post by Bizzarro »

Yup. That did it. I typically run everything portable and I didnt know that it had to be running.

Awesome tip. Thanks for sharing.
boucha

Post by boucha »

I'd like to support this feature request aswell, I don't really want to use work-arounds at this point but it's great to see people are being creative.
Is it being considered for future release's by the dev's at all?
gotchalv247

Post by gotchalv247 »

Whats the deal VOID... This application is great but would be much more useful not onlt to myself but thousands of other if you had the option to view Thumbvnails of picture type files!! :?: :?: :!: :roll:
X_Hunter

Post by X_Hunter »

+1 for this. I've been waiting for this feature for a long time now. Maybe it's not too far from this point, as the support for the beta versions is on once again. =)
Marti-Every

Post by Marti-Every »

Yes, Irfan´s thumbnail view would be great. :)
Or something like the preview of the Explorer window ;)

Thanks for this great searching tool
gpf

Post by gpf »

+1. The option to display Image thumbnails would make it a killer utility. It's an excellent tool now, but I'm forever searching for photos/graphics and no image preview is a major hindrance to my productivity.
vladdiez

Post by vladdiez »

Sorry to necro such an old post. I use everything to search between multiple drives and network paths because Windows search is inadequate. It would help me no end if I could get large image previews for my results so I could see what the files actually are. If I could have everything's search results placed in Windows Explorer so I could view them as a slideshow that would work too.

I'm wondering if someone can help me getting stevelon's batch file to work which I think would suit my needs. The only thing I changed in his batch file was changing es.exe to everything.exe because the file name seemed to have changed to everything since it was posted.

I put my everything.exe and the bat file in C:\Windows but when I do win+r 'est test', IRfanview thumbnails opens but with no results. I notice that everything is opened when I open the bat and match.txt is created (but is empty, so I need to figure out how to make everything's results go into match.txt I think) while IRFan is open.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or offer me an alternative solution?

http://i.imgur.com/VBNGX7P.jpg
Yeah, I'd like a thumbnail display too, but the following seems to work OK until the next release.
Get Irfanview.
Get the command line version of Everything (es.exe) and put it somewhere in the path.
Create the following batch file, say est.bat
es.exe -s ""%*"" > c:\match.txt
"C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /filelist=c:\match.txt /thumbs
del c:\match.txt
(the -s sorts results by full path if you want that).
To run:
Win-R (for run window)
type "est <search pattern that you would type in Everything>"
Does the job. If anyone has a better method I'd be interested.
void
Developer

Post by void »

You need ES the command line interface, available here:
https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/command_line_interface

Thumbnails and a preview window will be available in the next release of Everything.
Last edited by void on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated link
vladdiez

Post by vladdiez »

void wrote:You need ES the command line interface, available here:
https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/command_line_interface

Thumbnails and a preview window will be available in the next release of Everything.
Thanks, all working fine now!
Kotosif

Post by Kotosif »

Sorry to bump such an old post but I'm just wondering why hasn't this feature been implemented yet? I want the thumbnail to show me what the image actually is but currently it shows it like this
https://imgur.com/QMtqkpj
therube

Post by therube »