[Feature Request] Browse Folders in Results List

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Soremo

[Feature Request] Browse Folders in Results List

Post by Soremo »

Hi,

thank you very much for providing such a great tool - for free! I really like how fast I can find any file or folder (i.e. simply everything ;))!

Sometimes, however, I don't know enough about a file to directly search for it, because I don't remember its name or in which one of a few possible folders I saved it or whether it actually exists. In such cases I would like to quickly look into some folders or browse the folder hierarchy, i.e. navigate into folders and out of them to see what they contain.

I know that I can get a list of all files and folders contained within a certain folder with the "parent:" function. But this would require me to type the entire path to this parent folder which would not be very convenient when I want to quickly peek into a few folders deep down the folder hierarchy. Instead, I would like to first search for a folder (by typing part of its name) and then be able to quickly get a list of the files and folders therein. (Of course, I could just open the found folder in Explorer to see its contents, but I would prefer to stay within Everything.) I found a way to do this by first searching for the folder and then, in the results list, right-clicking the found folder and selecting "Search Everything..." in the context menu. This executes a new search with "parent:<path to right-clicked folder>" so that the results list is populated with the files and folders contained in the folder. This is exactly what I want to achieve. Unfortunately, though, I have to use the mouse for this, but would very much prefer a keyboard-only solution. This is why I suggest adding a (configurable) keyboard shortcut which does exactly the same when a single file or folder is selected in the results list: execute a new search resulting in a list of all files and folders whose parent folder is that selected file or folder. (I would consider the right arrow key a rather natural shortcut for this.)

Additionally, it would be great, if it was possible to do the reverse, i.e. going up in the folder hierarchy and get the contents of parent folders. I suggest the following: If a single file or folder is selected in the results list, a (configurable) shortcut could execute a new search resulting in a list of all files and folders contained in the same parent folder as the selected file or folder by executing a new search with "parent:<path of the parent folder of the selected file or folder>" (the results list then contains the selected file or folder and all of its siblings). Obviously, this only makes sense if the selected file or folder was not already the result of an identical preceding search. In that case, therefore, the shortcut should instead execute a new search resulting in a list of all files and folders contained in the grand-parent folder of the selected file or folder. This would allow going up the entire folder hierarchy step by step using a simple shortcut. (I would consider the left arrow key a rather natural shortcut for this.)

Together both shortcuts would allow browsing the entire file system starting from any point that can be jumped to by an initial search.

Hopefully I was able to explain what I mean in an understandable way. I am not in a position to estimate how much effort would be required to implement this. However, it would be greate if you would consider my suggestion.

Best regards,
Soremo
NotNull

Re: [Feature Request] Browse Folders in Results List

Post by NotNull »

In Everything 1.5 - the alpha version is available for testing - will be a directory tree like in File Explorer to navigate between folders. This feature is still being developed, but might already be good enough for your needs.

When you use Everything 1.4, take a look at this thread
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

navigate into folders and out of them to see what they contain
maybe this my fresh feature request could be interesting for you to support it by posting there some message so that it contained more replies and was more interesting for the developer
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Soremo wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:09 pm Unfortunately, though, I have to use the mouse for this, but would very much prefer a keyboard-only solution.
Soremo

Post by Soremo »

NotNull wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:54 pm When you use Everything 1.4, take a look at this thread
Thank you, NotNull, for pointing me to this other thread which I obviously wasn't able to find when searching for a solution to what I want to achieve, even though the topic was only recently created (and solved!) and concerns quite precisely the first part of my suggestion. I can't wait to try out your solution tomorrow. If it works (which I actually don't doubt), the only thing left to figure out is how to quickly go upwards in the folder hierarchy.
NotNull wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:54 pm In Everything 1.5 - the alpha version is available for testing - will be a directory tree like in File Explorer to navigate between folders. This feature is still being developed, but might already be good enough for your needs.
Thank you also for this pointer. Usually, I'm not brave enough for alpha versions, but now I'm intrigued. I assume that for browsing the directory tree I will have to switch from the results list pane to the directory tree pane first, navigate through the tree to some folder and then switch back into the results list pane which then shows a list of files contained in that folder to select/open one of these files. If this is actually possible without using the mouse, this would already be great, but it would require additional keyboard input for switching into and out of the tree pane compared to going up one folder with a single shortcut ... Well, I probably should just try it out.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I have not really tested the folder tree, so don't know. It looks like it is not ready (yet) for keyboard control.

I hope I can come up with a keyboard shortcut to go one level up, but that has to wait a couple of days (quite busy).
Seems like a nice challenge :) Will probably function similar to this.
Soremo

Post by Soremo »

NotNull wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:54 pm When you use Everything 1.4, take a look at this thread
This is great. It works exactly as I had hoped for.

I just had to modify your solution a bit due to my system language being German: I had to use
custom_verb01=Suche mit Everything...
instead of
custom_verb01=Search Everything...
and the command to which to add the desired shortcut is
Datei | Benutzerdefiniert 1
instead of
File | Custom Verb 1
. I could even choose the right arrow key as shortcut for the command (since I don't need to scroll right in the results list which is the default for this key)!

Many thanks again!
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

NotNull
a keyboard-only solution
shift+f10 on a selected folder, then the arrow keyboard buttons

if that new context menu item 'Content' is implemented with an underlined letter (which i personally detest) (for example Conṯent), then a keyboard-only solution gets easier/faster: press shift+f10, press t, use the arrow key(s)