Suggestion: Rename "Bookmark" as "saved search" or "Search preset"; add a Favorites (Bookmarks) feature.

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Raindrops

Suggestion: Rename "Bookmark" as "saved search" or "Search preset"; add a Favorites (Bookmarks) feature.

Post by Raindrops »

This has reference to this topic.

I had made that suggestion under the impression that a bookmark is a distinct entity as compared to an advanced search.
(That is why I asked whether there is a difference in the structure of both.)

But at the end of the thread, I concluded that a bookmark is composed of search conditions that can be composed manually or by using the Advanced Search GUI (or both).

In other words, a bookmark is nothing but a specific set of search conditions, which is saved with a name.

Given this fact, why is it called "bookmark" and not "search preset" OR "saved search"?

There is another reason why the term "bookmark" should not be used: In the context of a file manager, the term 'bookmark' is globally defined as a folder location (sometimes also called "favorites"). Everything falls in this app category, so it is best to use the same convention.

Please consider renaming "bookmark" as "search preset" or "saved search".

That way, it makes perfect logical sense to talk about saving searches as a preset, and reusing them.

Additionally, you could use the term "bookmark" to mean specific folder location.
A user often wants to go to a particular bookmark and search within that directory.

Thus even the term "bookmark" can be put to good use if Everything implements the Favorites (bookmarks) feature.
Last edited by Raindrops on Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raccoon

Re: Suggestion: Rrename "Bookmark" as "saved search" or "Search preset"; add a Favorites (Bookmarks) feature.

Post by raccoon »

You can already put your favorite bookmarks into a bookmarks folder you have named Favorites. Right-click in the Bookmark Manager to create a new folder that you can drag your favorite bookmarks into.

The term is simply derived from web browsers bookmarking a URL.
Raindrops

Re: Suggestion: Rrename "Bookmark" as "saved search" or "Search preset"; add a Favorites (Bookmarks) feature.

Post by Raindrops »

You can already put your favorite bookmarks into a bookmarks folder you have named Favorites.
No that's completely in a different direction!

I did not propose to place the bookmarks (=search presets) in a folder at all.

Let me explain. everything has a Folders panel, which shows the directory (folder tree). Now imagine that we want to work mostly within a few nodes of this tree (i.e., we have some favorite folders). I proposed that we should be able to add these to a "Favorites" list. Let Everything display these folders in a panel. Whenever we select a folder from this list, Everything should work within that folder.

I proposed that these favorite folders be called "Bookmarks" (in other words, redefine the term "bookmark").
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

First time anyone has raised issue with the word "bookmark" since they were introduced 9 years ago in 2013. If we want to change Bookmarks to Favorites and then reuse the word Bookmarks for something else, we'll have to give the word a 10 year cool-down period to avoid confusion among millions of users.

But you're right, Favorites is already used by Microsoft Windows to indicate a collection of frequently used document paths. Dozens of users have asked for a feature to make it easier for them to explore their Favorites. If that word is to be used for anything, it will be for thus.
Raindrops

Re: Suggestion: Rename "Bookmark" as "saved search" or "Search preset"; add a Favorites (Bookmarks) feature.

Post by Raindrops »

Yes, if the users have gotten used to the term "Bookmark", and cannot reconcile its use to mean "Favorites", then the term "bookmark" should not be used at all, to avoid any confusion.

The main point of my suggestion was to replace the term "bookmark" with "search preset" or "saved search".
void
Developer

Re: Suggestion: Rename "Bookmark" as "saved search" or "Search preset"; add a Favorites (Bookmarks) feature.

Post by void »

I proposed that we should be able to add these to a "Favorites" list.
A favourites list for the folder sidebar is on my TODO list.
Thank you for the suggestions.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

raccoon wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:13 pm... Favorites is already used by Microsoft Windows to indicate a collection of frequently used document paths.
"Most Recently Used" is another catch-phrase.
Long before I tripped over Everything, back when MSWord's MRU file list (Menu, File, <digit>) maxed out at 9, I wrote myself a VBA application (MRUse) that accumulated all sorts of files in a single drop-down list for execution with one click, a poor man's Everything, in effect.
we'll have to give the word a 10 year cool-down period to avoid confusion among millions of users
Agree whole heartedly; terminology is a critical part of application design and ideally should be done up-front.

Cheers, Chris