Multiple instances - two Everything instances (without using too much resources)?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Biff

Multiple instances - two Everything instances (without using too much resources)?

Post by Biff »

Is there a way to senisbly use two Everythings (without using to much resources)? One (I already use now) which indexes special properties and therefore is quite slow and does not work as an instant search program and another Everything that is above all fast enough to be used as an instant search program?
Last edited by Biff on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biff

Re: Is there a way to senisbly use two Everythings (without using to much resources)?

Post by Biff »

Many thanks for the link.

Looks pretty complicated (to me). I do not understand that much. So the best way is to use perhapts the same / one single service? And the same Everything exe (that already is in use). I I would make a shortcut with this: Everything.exe -instance "ETP Server"? to start the new instance? Based on the already running Everything exe file? And create some pipe name or so for the service?
void
Developer

Re: Is there a way to senisbly use two Everythings (without using to much resources)?

Post by void »

The Multiple instances help is a little out dated for Everything 1.5.
Don't worry about running another Everything service.

Everything 1.5 will share the same Everything Service between all instances.
You only need one Everything Service.

Please try the following:
On your Desktop, create a shortcut to your Everything.exe
Right click your Shortcut and click Properties.
Change the Target to:
"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything64.exe" -instance "lite"
"lite" can be anything you like, I'm just using "lite" as an example.
Launch Everything from this shortcut when you only need filenames. (not properties)
The instance name is shown in the window title, or tray icon tooltip.
In your main instance, disable automatically include new fixed/removable volumes under Tools -> Options -> FAT/NTFS/ReFS
Biff

Post by Biff »

Please try the following:
On your Desktop, create a shortcut to your Everything.exe
Right click your Shortcut and click Properties.
Change the Target to:
"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything64.exe" -instance "lite"
"lite" can be anything you like, I'm just using "lite" as an example.
Launch Everything from this shortcut when you only need filenames. (not properties)
The instance name is shown in the window title, or tray icon tooltip.
OK, done, thank you.
In your main instance, disable automatically include new fixed/removable volumes under Tools -> Options -> FAT/NTFS/ReFS
This is here?
That already was disabled.

Could Everything display here two different icons (different colours or so)?

And now this new Everything instance will index all of the drives as usual? As the old Everything does? Only (much) faster. Without the settings / properties of the old one?

Could I transfer some settings, Filters, Bookmarks to the new instance, only the ones that do not make the new instance slower? Respectively I would like to import / export all of the settings that do not make Everythings slower. But let it be as fast as possible.
tuska

Post by tuska »

2Biff

This post might be of interest to you.
15. 'Everything' - Multiple instances -> Named instances

There are also a few hints here (e.g. button) for Total Commander.
You can ignore these if you do not use this file manager.

Header of Everything: Everything (PRIVATE) 1.5.0.1330a (x64)
For example, for the Everything instance (PRIVATE) 1.5.0.1330a (x64) I use this folder:

Code: Select all

C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\
with the following files ...

Bookmarks-PRIVATE.csv
Everything.lng
Everything (x64) - (PRIVATE).lnk	 ... Target: C:\Tools\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\Everything64.exe -instance "PRIVATE"
Everything (x64) - (PRIVATE)_StartUp.lnk ... Target: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"
Everything64.exe
Everything-PRIVATE.db
Everything-PRIVATE.ini
Filters-PRIVATE.csv
Macros-PRIVATE.csv
NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE			 ... https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=44567#p44567 remove suffix -1.5a
Plugins-PRIVATE.ini
Run History-PRIVATE.csv
Search History-PRIVATE.csv
Temporary Excludes-PRIVATE.csv

PS:
The desired settings must be made per Everything instance.
However, as described, the settings can be "imported/duplicated" the first time.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Many thanks for the link!

Unfortunately I use the unpleasant extremely slow FreeCommander. I would like to use Total Commander, but to get the settings (manually) from FreeCommander to it is very uncomfortable.
The desired settings must be made per Everything instance.
The same as in another Everything, I suppose.

Just like in another/new Everything I suppose? So I just need to import / export the settings from the first one to the new instance (just like in another/new Everything)? Can I choose the settings to be imported (or exported) before importing them with the new instance (to not to import / export the settings I do not want in the new instance)?
therube

Post by therube »

Could Everything display here two different icons (different colours or so)?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11288
Biff

Post by Biff »

Holy cow! So many beautiful Everything icons already available. Works great, many thanks!

But this icon on the left keeps being the same?

Or may be it will change after a restart of Everything (not only a restart of the instance like I did one).
tuska

Post by tuska »

2Biff

I would recommend you to proceed as follows. e.g. for the new Everything instance "PRIVATE":
  1. Create a separate folder for a new Everything instance, e.g. C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\.
  2. Copy the files from the Everything main instance into the folder "Everything_PRIVATE\" - examples: see above...
    These are, for example, the *.ini and *.csv files.
    Exporting the settings is not necessary in this case.
  3. Rename the files, i.e. add the instance name, e.g. Everything.ini => Everything-PRIVATE.ini - examples: see above/below...
  4. Start the new Everything instance, e.g. Everything (PRIVATE) 1.5.0.1330a (x64) -> via a link (.lnk) with target:

C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\Everything64.exe -instance "PRIVATE"
  5. Import settings into the new Everything instance "PRIVATE"
    Attention: For documentation purposes only!
    An import is NOT necessary IN THIS CASE!
    Import settings:
    Search history, run history, result omissions, filters and bookmarks are not included.
    Import other settings ...
    • Filters
      Menu 'Search' > Organize Filters... > Import... C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\Filters-PRIVATE.csv
    • Bookmarks
      Menu 'Bookmarks' > Organize Bookmarks... > Import... C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\Bookmarks-PRIVATE.csv
    • Run history
      Menu 'Tools' > Run History... > Import... C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\Run History-PRIVATE.csv
    • Search history
      Menu 'History' > Show All History > Import... C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\Search History-PRIVATE.csv
    • Result Omissions
      Menu 'Index' > Organize Result Omissions... > Import... C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\Omit Results-PRIVATE.csv
  6. Carry out the desired settings in the new Everything instance "PRIVATE"
    An import is not necessary in this case, as the renamed .ini file(s) is/are already in the new folder anyway - see point 2.+3.:
    C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\Everything-PRIVATE.ini
  7. Make changes to settings in the Everything main instance, e.g. Everything 1.5.0.1330a (x64), if necessary.
    E.g. C:\Everything\Everything.ini
  8. Check the RAM consumption and processor utilisation (CPU) in the Task Manager [when using multiple instances simultaneously].
    https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9793 -> Setup content indexing wrote: Everything will keep content in memory.
    Content indexing is intended for indexing user documents only.
    I do not recommend indexing over 1GB of text.
    For the best performance, set an include only folder.
  9. Note these hints: 15. 'Everything' - Multiple instances -> Named instances
I hope that answers your questions above.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
PS: If I may make a suggestion to you, please change your post title

from: Is there a way to senisbly use two Everythings (without using to much resources)?
to:   Multiple instances - two Everything instances (without using too much resources)?
Last edited by tuska on Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Many thanks!
Copy the files from the Everything main instance into this folder - examples: see above...
These are, for example, the *.ini and *.csv files.
I use Everything portable. So I just copy the content of the folder everythings64.exe is in to a new folder? So I had a normal (new) Everyting? Sorry, what examples? For what?
Rename the files, i.e. add the instance name - examples: see above...
So rename all of the copied files. Sorry, what examples? For what?
Start the new Everything instance, e.g. Everything (PRIVATE) 1.5.0.1330a (x64)
So with a link with that special parameter. Or by starting the copied exe file?
Import settings into the new Everything instance
Sorry, why import them? I would think they are copied with the files above.
Carry out the desired settings in the new Everything instance
An import is not necessary in this case, as the renamed .ini file is already in the new folder anyway:
C:\Everything\Everything_PRIVATE\Everything-PRIVATE.ini
So not importing after all?
I am so sorry for my hellish and unrelenting inability to understand

Very sorry for my infernal and unrelenting inability to understand, it appears I understand absolutely nothing or less. Sorry again!
Biff

Post by Biff »

I have changed the name of the instance from "Instant Everything" to "Instant" (in the link), these files keep the old file name:

So one manually has to remove the db Everything created with the first name? And has to change the other file names (also the ico file) manually?
tuska

Post by tuska »

2Biff

Q: I use Everything portable. So I just copy the content of the folder everythings64.exe is in to a new folder?
A: It was just a suggestion - you can also leave the files of the main instance and the instance "Instant" in the same folder.
    This also has the advantage, that when updating, the files (.exe, .lng) only have to be updated in this folder.

Q: So I had a normal (new) Everyting? Sorry, what examples? For what?
A: Yes.
    I have only given my file names for my instance "PRIVATE" above as an example.
    Instead of e.g. "Everything-PRIVATE.ini", your file is called "Everything-Instant.ini".
    At this point I did not know the name of your new instance or whether you use the suffix 1.5a or not.

Q: So rename all of the copied files.
A: Yes, remove the suffix 1.5a and replace it with: Instant.
    The files Everything64.exe and Everything.lng should NOT be renamed.

Q: Start the new Everything instance ... So with a link with that special parameter. ...
A: As said (above under point 4.) with a link (.lnk) file with target:
    J:\Programme\Everything\Everything64.exe -instance "Instant" (Open instance "Instant")
    - OR -
    J:\Programme\Everything\Everything64.exe -instance "Instant" -startup (Icon in Systray)

Q: Sorry, why import settings? I would think they are copied with the files above.
A: I am sorry for the confusion regarding point 5. and 6. above.
    You are right - an import is NOT required as already stated under point 6.
    It is sufficient to [re]start the Everything instance: Instant.
    I have only mentioned point 5. mainly for documentation purposes
    and have therefore adapted this point now again so that no doubts arise.

Q: I have changed the name of the instance from "Instant Everything" to "Instant" (in the link)...
A: You can delete the files that contain "Instant-Everything" in the name, as they are no longer needed.

Q: And has to change the other file names (also the ico file) manually?
A: You have already renamed the .ico file for the new instance -> Everything-Instant.ico.

You don't have to apologise for anything, by the way.
I know myself how difficult it is often to find the right settings.
tuska

Re: Multiple instances - two Everything instances (without using too much resources)?

Post by tuska »

SUMMARY

Everything 1.5 Alpha

| Everything               | Main instance                | Main instance (1.5a)     ***          | Instance "Instant"                       |
+--------------------------+------------------------------+---------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+
| Header *, ***            | Everything 1.5.0.1330a (x64) | Everything 1.5.0.1330a (x64) - (1.5a) | Everything 1.5.0.1330a (x64) - (Instant) |
+--------------------------+------------------------------+---------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+
| 1.5a Suffix  (Yes/No)    | No			          | Yes                                   | No                                       |
| Everything .INI name     | Everything.ini               | Everything-1.5a.ini                   | Everything-Instant.ini                   |
| - Everything.ini         | alpha_instance=1   **        | -             		          | -                                        |
| - Everything-1.5a.ini    | -                            | ) alpha_instance=0   **, ***   -OR-   | -                                        |
| - Everything-1.5a.ini    | -                            | ) alpha_instance=1   **, ***          | -                                        |
| - Everything-Instant.ini | -                            | -                                     | alpha_instance=1                         |
| File   (Setting!)        | File without extension(!):   | -                                     | -                                        |
| - Everything (Main)      | NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE  **        | -                                     | -                                        |
| - Everything (Main 1.5a) | -                            | -                                     | -                                        |
| - Everything (Instant)   | -                            | -                                     | -                                        |
| Everything Service  **** |           		          |                                       | SAME as Main instance, i.e.              |
| - Everything             | Everything                   | -                                     | Everything   -OR-                        |
| - Everything 1.5a        | -                            | Everything (1.5a)                     | Everything (1.5a)                        |
| Files, e.g.              |                              |                                       |                                          |
|                          | Bookmarks.csv                | Bookmarks-1.5a.csv                    | Bookmarks-Instant.csv                    |
|                          | Filters.csv                  | Filters-1.5a.csv                      | Filters-Instant.csv                      |
|                          | Macros.csv                   | Macros-1.5a.csv                       | Macros-Instant.csv                       |
|                          | ...                          |                                       |                                          |
    * /window_title_format=$t $v$i?{ - ($i)}#if:<#isadmin:, - [Administrator]>
      Option: Enter this command in the Everything search box and press ENTER.
      viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11294 Window Title Format --> Header

** The parameter: alpha_instance=0 -OR- alpha_instance=1 is IGNORED if the file "NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE",
      which is located in the same place as the file Everything64.exe, exists.
      viewtopic.php?p=42848#p42848
      File: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE ...
      This setting can also be used to establish a connection between Everything and Total Commander.

*** alpha_instance=0
      viewtopic.php?p=42848#p42848
      "Only works from the Everything.ini in the same location as your Everything64.exe".
      viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9799#instance
      viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9994#alpha_instance
      In this case, the file without extension: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE must not exist - see: **.
      alpha_instance=0 - HEADER in Everything: Everything 1.5.0.1330a (x64) .........: Files: WITH suffix 1.5a! +)
      alpha_instance=1 - HEADER in Everything: Everything 1.5.0.1330a (x64) - (1.5a): Files: WITH suffix 1.5a!
      +) This parameter is, for example, one of several ways of establishing a connection between Everything and Total Commander:
          See: https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56800 Search queries in Total Commander using 'Everything' - Point 13.

**** Everything Service - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9787#p40369
      Everything-1.5.0.1280a - 14.10.2021: Removed requirement for multiple Everything Service instances.
      My comment:
      This means that when using the Everything Service, only ONE Service, e.g. with the name: Everything
      -OR- Everything (1.5a) is required for several Everything instances (main and additional instance(s)).

| Everything               | Main instance                | Main instance (1.5a)                  | Instance "Instant"                       |
| Header                   | Everything 1.5.0.1330a (x64) | Everything 1.5.0.1330a (x64) - (1.5a) | Everything 1.5.0.1330a (x64) - (Instant) |
| ToDo (only assumption!)  | - DELETE the file:           | - UNCHECK 'Everything Service'        | -                                        |
|                          |   NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE          | - EXIT Everything                     | -                                        |
|                          | - RESTART Everything         | - RENAME the files:                   | -                                        |
|                          |                              |   REMOVE the suffix 1.5a              | -                                        |
|                          | Done(!):                     | - START Everything                    | -                                        |
|                          | Main instance &              | - INSTALL the "Everything" service    | -                                        |
|                          | Instance "Instant"           | - CHECK if alpha_instance=1 is        | - CHECK if alpha_instance=1 is available |
|                          |                              |     available in Everything.ini       | -       in Everything-Instant.ini        |
Biff

Re: Multiple instances - two Everything instances (without using too much resources)?

Post by Biff »

Yes, of course, as you like it. If you want any other changes...anytime.

Holy horse! What an incredible guide! Thank you very much!

OK, I assume I managed everything so far with this amazing instructions. Besides of the settings. So the same ini file is used for both instances respectively for the first Everything and the new instance? It somehow does not look like that here. I have different settings in both Everythings (instances). Or what does the settings contain? The "Home" tab, "View" tab, "Key" tab, etc. are different here, so the settings of them.

I do not want to copy, import / export (with the settings or else) what makes Everything slow (e.g. the / some properties I use, the properties [used with special paths / exclusions, etc.] not reducing the speed I would like to transfer like available disk size, size of disk, etc.). How would I do that?

That is the most important point, this new instance should be / stay as fast as possible. So there shouldn't be any settings that slow it down if possible. My main Everything by far is not an instant search program anymore. So I want a fast Everything additionally.

Many thanks again!
tuska

Post by tuska »

2Biff
Thank you for changing the post title. :)
I find this title a bit more appropriate.
Biff wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:47 pm Besides of the settings. So the same ini file is used for both instances respectively for the first Everything and the new instance?
It somehow does not look like that here. I have different settings in both Everythings (instances).
Or what does the settings contain? The "Home" tab, "View" tab, "Key" tab, etc. are different here, so the settings of them.
Yes, the same settings are available for another instance(s) after duplicating the settings from the main instance.
The settings for the new instance "Instant" are to be adjusted afterwards to get everything instant.
Biff wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:47 pm I do not want to copy, import / export (with the settings or else) what makes Everything slow
(e.g. the / some properties I use, the properties [used with special paths / exclusions, etc.]
not reducing the speed I would like to transfer like available disk size, size of disk, etc.). How would I do that?

That is the most important point, this new instance should be / stay as fast as possible.
So there shouldn't be any settings that slow it down if possible. My main Everything by far is not an instant search program anymore.
So I want a fast Everything additionally.
The answer is already here under point 6., 7. and 8.
I see it as the easiest way to duplicate the settings and then - via the settings menu!! (Tools - Options...) -
adjust the settings, i.e. change/remove Properties, Content, Exclude, "Include in database", etc. - This is a matter of a few minutes!

You have already dealt intensively with other settings - for example here:
Difference: properties in Properties tab and properties columns?.
Therefore you should be able to reach your goal quickly.
If not, you can always start a separate forum request to find out what else is slowing your Everything instance "Instant" down.

I wish you good luck.
Biff

Post by Biff »

No reason to say thank you. Yes, yes, a very good title now.
Yes, the same settings are available for another instance(s) after duplicating the settings from the main instance.
Ah, you have to copy it first. I thought this

maybe meant the same ini file (maybe if the second instance would be in the same folder as the first one) is used for both instances, but it's not like that at all, if I understand correctly. Each instance ALWAYS needs its own ini file, I assume.

Do I have to check "Everything Service" (may be that does not matter as the service / a second service will not start anyway if already running) in the second instance / other ones (because only one service is needed for all of the instances, if I had understood it right):
The answer is already here under point 6., 7. and 8.
Sorry for completely missing that, so one had to import / get either all of the settings to the new instance or none. Not a part of it. And after importing / duplicating the ini adapt the settings.

Thank you very much. Yes, indeed, some luck (or better a lot of) would be very good to compensate at least minimally the lack of understanding.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Biff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:56 am Ah, you have to copy it first. I thought this .img
maybe meant the same ini file...
No.
This image section concerns the Everything Service.

Make a copy of the file Everything-1.5a.ini.
Rename the copy to Everything-Instant.ini.

This is roughly how it should look for you afterwards:

Path			Name/Ext		Size	Date/Time
------------------------------------------------------------------------
J:\Programme\Everything\Everything-1.5a.ini	99 076	06.12.2022 11:15
J:\Programme\Everything\Everything-Instant.ini  99 076	06.12.2022 11:15
These two files are now identical.

Now make your changes in the file Everything-Instant.ini (for Everything instance "Instant").
Then carry out a "Force Rebuild" (Tools > Options... > Indexes > click on button "Force Rebuild").
Biff wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:56 am Do I have to check "Everything Service" ... in the Everything instance "Instant" ...
No, leave this setting unchanged!
The setting from the main instance is used! See above: 9. Note this hints...point 15.
Here is a picture... (it's only my test scenario but the Everything Service should be displayed like this).

2022-12-06_Multiple Everything instances.png
2022-12-06_Multiple Everything instances.png (33.95 KiB) Viewed 2994 times

I don't think I can contribute much more to this topic now, because I would only repeat my statements.
If there are any further problems, please read the step-by-step instructions carefully before asking again.
Last edited by tuska on Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biff

Post by Biff »

No, leave this setting unchanged!
OK, it must be checked as well.

Okay, everything seems to be fine now.
I don't think I can contribute much more to this topic now, because I would only repeat my statements.
If there are any further problems, please read the step-by-step instructions carefully before asking again.
Yes, yes, that already was a lot of contribution here, I totally understand, no contribution required here anymore. Yes, of course, in the future I will ask very carefully here. And only if really need will be. In no other case!

Thank you very much!
Biff

Post by Biff »

OK, thank you very much!