Issues with the use of macros

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
danilo

Issues with the use of macros

Post by danilo »

Hi,

Using macros is probably my favorite way of using Everything as a replacement for File explorer. I much prefer typing in the keyword into the search box for navigation, than using keyboard shortcuts or clicking the item in Bookmarks. However, when I type in the keyword for the bookmarked location, the assigned Filter fails to load - the previously used Filter remains unchanged.

Another problem is that macros/keywords do not work with File lists.
void
Developer

Re: Issues with the use of macros

Post by void »

Thank you for the bug report danilo,

Filters not working with bookmark macros is a bug.

I'll have this fixed in the next alpha update.

I'll make a post here once this is ready for testing.

Another problem is that macros/keywords do not work with File lists.
Do you mean the bookmark macro doesn't load your file list?
-This is currently expected.
I will consider support for changing the index with bookmarks macros.

or, are your bookmark macros not working when a file list is opened?
Can you give an example bookmark macro search that doesn't work?
danilo

Post by danilo »

Thank you for the clarification.
Do you mean the bookmark macro doesn't load your file list?
-This is currently expected.
I will consider support for changing the index with bookmarks macros.

or, are your bookmark macros not working when a file list is opened?
Can you give an example bookmark macro search that doesn't work?
Both. When I open a file list, macros don't work any more, either with regular path bookmarks or other file lists. I think that in the 1.4 version loading other file lists with a macro worked from within an opened file list (but no other bookmarked locations could be loaded from there).
Other than that, and the issue with the Filters remaining unchanged on loading bookmarks with a macro, I haven't noticed issues with the use of macros.

The way I use the computer, using macros by far beats setting keyboard shortcuts for each individual bookmark, and navigation by typing beats both (which is why I very much welcomed the introduction of the Folder sidebar). This way the memory load on the user is minimal. For me, these two functionalities make Everything feel like a sort of local-search extension of the internet browser. I'm a heavy keyboard user, which means that keywords and Vimium are indispensable in my browsing routine, and I'd like to see Everything go that way too.
void
Developer

Post by void »

You'll be able to change the index (load filelist, connect to ETP, load local db) with macros in the next alpha update.

The macros/filters not working while a file list is opened should also be fixed.

I'll make another post here once this is ready for testing.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1330a fixes an issue with filters not working from bookmark macros.

Everything 1.5.0.1330a also adds support to change your index (load filelist, connect to ETP, load local db) from a bookmark macro.

open-filelist:
connect-etp-server:
connect-etp-server-link-type:
local-db:
danilo

Post by danilo »

Everything 1.5.0.1330a fixes an issue with filters not working from bookmark macros.
I've installed the update but filters still don't change when I run bookmark macros. Filters change when I click the bookmark or run the shortcut, but not when macros are used.

But the problem with running macros for file lists is fixed - after using a macro to open a file list I can proceed and use macros for other bookmarks without problems. When the file list is opened externally, by clicking on it, or through the Open dialogue, bookmark macros won't work until the File list is closed.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for testing 1330a danilo,

Are you expecting the filter combobox to change in the UI when using a bookmark macro?

The bookmark macro will not change the "active" filter.
However, the filter should still be applied.

For example:
Set a bookmark to use the Audio filter
Set the bookmark macro to: bookmarkwithaudio
In the main search box, search for: bookmarkwithaudio:
The active filter remains unchanged.
However, the audio filter is still applied.

Are you trying to also search your local db with a file list loaded?
Everything can only search one index at a time.
For example, filters that only search your local db (eg: C:\windows\) will not work when you have a file list of your D: drive opened.
danilo

Post by danilo »

Thank you for further improving your great application.
Are you expecting the filter combobox to change in the UI when using a bookmark macro?

The bookmark macro will not change the "active" filter.
However, the filter should still be applied.
I didn't notice that, sorry. Running bookmarks by macros works fine and they are filtered according to the set preferences for the bookmark, only the filter box does not indicate it. (I've noticed though that the filter box setting supersedes the bookmark setting, so if the filter in the combo box is set to document, it will filter out the results of the bookmark with the defined audio filter, for example.)
The filter in the box does change on clicking the bookmark or activating it by a keyboard shortcut, so I was expecting the same behavior from the macros.
Are you trying to also search your local db with a file list loaded?
Everything can only search one index at a time.
For example, filters that only search your local db (eg: C:\windows\) will not work when you have a file list of your D: drive opened.
Yes, it was what I tried to do, thank you for the clarification.