Rename leaves old name in result list, file renamed correctly

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
rgbigel

Rename leaves old name in result list, file renamed correctly

Post by rgbigel »

1.5.0.1319a
I'm using a filter named "renamies" to select files with names that need to be normalized by a subsequent rename operation.
After the rename, some (not all!) items with the name prior to the rename are still showing, although the rename was done, so the file in the result list does not really exist any more.

See attached screenshot, taken after rename, but not using any filter then.
Screenshot 2022-09-29 133611.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-29 133611.jpg (116 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
Note that the SHA-Indexing ist still running (probably will be for several days still)

(Side note: the reason for the complete reindexing was this: I observed numerous duplicate entries in the result list after some problems with the windows DEV release.)

Rolf
therube

Re: Rename leaves old name in result list, file renamed correctly

Post by therube »

Are these hardlinks, perhaps relating to OneDrive?

And you did what, renamed from threema-2020* to 2020* ?
rgbigel

Post by rgbigel »

Re-indexing has finished now, the files threema-* is still showing in Everything like before, but it does not exist.

There is no junction/hardlink anywhere with similar names of the folders in the snapshot given.
The rename was from Threema-xxxx-yyyy-null.jpeg to xxxx-yyyy.jpg (multi-file rename on all volumes of my system, worked without any errors seen)

There are no entries in Folders relevant here, I have just now found some NTFS Offline, that I do not understand at all, as they duplicated!
Screenshot 2022-09-30 142341.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-30 142341.jpg (88.76 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
I have no explanation why this has occurred, other than this is a multy-boot system, each using an individual index. Of course, these systems have different drive letters, ie. C: does not point to the same disk, and the volume labels are also different.

So I removed these offline NTFS entries. :roll: and guess what: now the non-existant files are no longer in the list.

I guess the offline index entries had somehow mingled into the results list... :o but why can there be offline versions of the same drive as an online one :?:

Well, all that remains is that mystery, Rolf
void
Developer

Post by void »

It sounds like the volume name for your C: drive changed.

Please check if the volume names differ for each C: drive listed under Tools -> Options -> NTFS
Double click a volume or right click and click Edit to view the volume name.
Are the volume names the same?

I wonder if multi-booting is causing Windows to see a new volume name...
Please let me know if you see an offline C: drive again.
rgbigel

Post by rgbigel »

OK, I did as advised. Since I had deleted the Offline volumes on the system booted from SM2-980-C(C:), I used the dual booted SSD850-b(C:).

Indeed, the volume names of the SM2-980-C drives do differ:

\\?\Volume{81} SM2-980-C(B:)(Offline)
\\?\Volume{dc} SM2-980-C(B:)

Which explains the described behaviour. I had presumed that the volume labels would be used rather than the volume name. I assume each windows "invents" the volume name, to avoid the problem that multiple HDs might have the same label (windows does issue a warning in that case, but then allows correcting the label.)

There is another identification called "Volume ID" in the form 0xZZZZ-YYYY. That actually gets stored on the HDs, but when you clone a disk, that (depending on the software used) creates the same, hence duplicate, "identification", making it useless to distinguish volumes (I think). Windows also warns about duplictes here, too, the user could change the "Volume ID" with Sysinternals' VolumeID.exe to make it unique.

I looked at diskpart to look for other means to distinguish HDs, but I can not determine if there would be a suitable one:

detail disk

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB
Disk ID: {EB}
Type : NVMe
Path : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0101)#PCI(0000)#NVME(P00T00L00)

:cry: It seems I'm out of luck to get around duplicate offline volumes.

So I now switched to automatically removing offline volumes.

Unfortunately, this can't be limited to "removable" disks, and MS does not allow changing Removable to Local. This is highly impractical, because all USB-connected drives become removable (and so are some fixed disks, for whatever reason). USB drives, would be the most likely to be unmounted or just not connected. So the consequence of removing offline volumes is dire: :? no more finding files on USB drives when they are intentionally offline.

(BTW: all my USBs use the same drive letter in every multi-boot configuration)

Any ideas?

Rolf
Last edited by void on Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed volume names
void
Developer

Post by void »

I am looking into an option to track volumes by serial number only.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1322a will now track volumes by serial number.

If a volume name or volume path changes with the same serial number, Everything will assume the volume has been moved.

Everything will only move volumes that are "real" physical drives.
Subst volumes are ignored.

This feature can be disabled with the auto_move_ntfs_volumes ini setting.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1331a fixes an issue with moving volumes with the same serial number.

Everything 1.5.0.1331a adds a auto_move_same_serial_number ini setting.

This setting is now off by default.

To enable Everything to automatically move volumes with the same serial number:
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /auto_move_same_serial_number=1
  • Press ENTER in your Everything search box.
  • If successful, auto_move_same_serial_number=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.