Any way to prevent Everything from having to regularly re-index file properties?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
bruce656

Any way to prevent Everything from having to regularly re-index file properties?

Post by bruce656 »

It seems like Everything has to re-index the file properties every few days, which takes a good little minute. Is there any way to prevent this? Is the index being deleted or overwritten some how?
NotNull

Re: Any way to prevent Everything from having to regularly re-index file properties?

Post by NotNull »

Everything 1.5 is in it's Alpha phase. Changes to the database structure are quite common, meaning that updating to a new version might require re-indexing of file properties

Does the re-indexing of file properties also occur wothout updating Everything?
(btw which version are you running?)
bruce656

Re: Any way to prevent Everything from having to regularly re-index file properties?

Post by bruce656 »

I'm running 1.5.0.1303a, and have the database set to a specific location. It seems like once or twice a week, the database has to reindex, which includes reindexing all of the file properties I have selected (video length, photo exif data) and it takes a LONG time.
void
Developer

Post by void »

What is the last rebuild reason reported under Tools -> Debug -> Statistics -> Build -> Last Rebuild Reason?
bruce656

Post by bruce656 »

"Last rebuild reason: Unable to open database file."

So I have an external hard drive included in the database. So I should I disable automatic updating or something like that?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

bruce656 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:57 pm "Last rebuild reason: Unable to open database file."

So I have an external hard drive included in the database. So I should I disable automatic updating or something like that?
No, you should not have your database on a drive which is not always available.
bruce656

Post by bruce656 »

horst.epp wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:35 pm
No, you should not have your database on a drive which is not always available.

No, the database is not ON the removable drive, but the removable drive is included on the database
void
Developer

Post by void »

No, the database is not ON the removable drive, but the removable drive is included on the database
This should be fine.
As long as you are storing the Everything database on a disk that is fixed and always online.

"Last rebuild reason: Unable to open database file."
It sounds like the Everything database is not available when you start Everything.

In Tools -> Debug -> Statistics
Is your database Location stored on a disk that is available on system startup/shutdown?
What is the reported Last build date under Build?

Is Tools -> Options -> General -> "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" enabled?

Everything might be reindexing your external drive (including properties) when it goes online/offline.

Please try keeping your offline volumes in your index:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Automatically index new fixed volumes.
  • Uncheck Automatically index new removable volumes.
  • Uncheck Automatically remove offline volumes.
  • Click OK.