Properties from XMP files

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Laus

Properties from XMP files

Post by Laus »

Hi!

I just found that v1.5 supports a wide rage of properties, so I want to give it a try ... but I don't get it.
Here's what I've tried:

First i filled a zoo with various samples and ran Exiftool to fill a bunch of properties with meta data:

Code: Select all

exiftool "F:\zoo\*" -overwrite_original -ext jpg -ext jp2 -ext xmp -ext png -ext pdf -ext dng -ext tif -ext psd -ext eps "-XMP:Title<${filesequence}_XMP:Title" "-PDF:Title<${filesequence}_PDF:Title" "-XMP:Description<${filesequence}_XMP:Description" "-EXIF:ImageDescription<${filesequence}_EXIF:ImageDescription" "-XMP:Subject<${filesequence}_XMP:Subject" "-IPTC:Keywords<${filesequence}_IPTC:Keywords" "-PDF:Keywords<${filesequence}_PDF:Keywords" "-XMP:Keywords<${filesequence}_XMP:Keywords" "-PDF:Subject<${filesequence}_PDF:subject" "-EXIF:XPComment<${filesequence}_EXIF:XPComment" "-File:comment<${filesequence}_File:Comment" "-PNG:Comment<${filesequence}_PNG:Comment" "-XMP:Usercomment<${filesequence}_XMP:Usercomment" "-PDF:Comment<${filesequence}_PDF:Comment"
Then I created a table with the results:

Code: Select all

exiftool "F:\zoo\*" -csv -XMP:Title -PDF:Title -XMP:Description -EXIF:ImageDescription -XMP:Subject -IPTC:Keywords -PDF:Keywords -XMP:Keywords -PDF:Subject -EXIF:XPComment -File:comment -PNG:Comment -XMP:Usercomment -PDF:Comment >exiftool.csv
Here's the table:
CSv.PNG
CSv.PNG (56.06 KiB) Viewed 5542 times
This fills quite a bunch of properties, but f course Exiftool did not add certain properties to files that don't support them (E.g. EXIF only is supported by images files)

Next I installed the PDF Property Extension from Coolsoft and XMP IFilter from Ifiltershop.

This is what the Explorer showed:
explorer.PNG
explorer.PNG (42.39 KiB) Viewed 5542 times
Hmm, PDF Properties Extension works well, but nothing from XMP Ifilter.
At last I added the properties in Everything 1.5 and also added the extensions to all properties. Here's a screen shot of the resulting table:
et.PNG
et.PNG (40.01 KiB) Viewed 5542 times
Hmm, no properties for XMP files, and XMP:title from jpg and tiff is missing too.
Much could be said about the results (notice PDF:Title vs XMP:Title, mapping for subject and description, support of LNK files in Explorer, ...) but here's the most important one for me:

Can anyone recommend a working iFilter for XMP files, or am I missing something?

Laus
void
Developer

Re: Properties from XMP files

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback Laus,

Everything has native support for EXIF.

If any property is unknown, Everything will fall back to the Windows Property System.
What you see in Everything should be the same as in Windows Explorer. (well that's the goal anyway)

Everything does not understand XMP files.
I will consider adding support for this.
Currently, If XMP properties are only shown in Everything if they are shown in Windows Explorer.
notice PDF:Title vs XMP:Title
This is a bug and will be fixed in the next alpha update.
Everything is currently treating image files as having an EXIF title, even if the EXIF title metadata is not present.
mapping for subject and description
Removed description property mapping for the next alpha update.
This should be the Subject property.
support of LNK files in Explorer
I'm not sure what you mean here.
Everything doesn't gather properties for lnk files.
These properties are coming the the Windows Property System.
recommend a working iFilter for XMP files
Please let me know if you find anything.

You can access Windows Property System Properties from Right click result list column header -> Add Columns -> Windows Property System (if you want to bypass the native Everything properties, or if you find a third party Property Handler for XMP)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1267a fixes an issue with image files having an EXIF title, even if the EXIF title metadata is not present.

Everything 1.5.0.1267a will now map the EXIF Description property to the Subject property.
Laus

Post by Laus »

Yepp, I can see XMP:Title at least for JPG and TIF files now.

Thanks, Laus