[Suggestion] Allow notindexed: as a global search modifier

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
aviasd

[Suggestion] Allow notindexed: as a global search modifier

Post by aviasd »

A small suggestion:
I find the placement of notindexed: a bit cumbersome - has to be right before content:

I think it would be better to allow it as a global modifier I.E: ::notindexed: as searching for something in indexed content yields nothing, the next natural step for me is to search for the thing in files that are not indexed.
So instead of moving the cursor back to content: and then typing, I could just carry on typing: ::notindexed: afterwards...

Hope it doesn't sound too anal :ugeek:
Thanks
void
Developer

Re: [Suggestion] Allow notindexed: as a global search modifier

Post by void »

Thanks for the suggestion aviasd,

Unfortunately, global search modifiers are applied as they are read from left to right.

content:"abc 123" ::notindexed:
would not apply the ::notindexed: search modifier to content:"abc 123" as it is after the content search.

where as:
::notindexed: content:"abc 123"
would apply the ::notindexed: search modifier to content:"abc 123" because it comes before the content: search function.

Also note: ::notindexed: doesn't currently exist (It will be available in the next alpha update)

What about a defining macro:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /define ncontent<search> notindexed:content:search:
  • If successful you should see ncontent<search>=notindexed:content:search: in the status bar for a few seconds.
Now you can quickly change content: to ncontent: to search not-indexed content.
aviasd

Re: [Suggestion] Allow notindexed: as a global search modifier

Post by aviasd »

void wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:44 am Thanks for the suggestion aviasd,

Unfortunately, global search modifiers are applied as they are read from left to right.
Huh, I was sure that global search modifiers were evaluated under the search reordering feature. Don't know where I got it.
Also note: ::notindexed: doesn't currently exist (It will be available in the next alpha update)
Cool
What about a defining macro:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /define ncontent<search> notindexed:content:search:
  • If successful you should see ncontent<search>=notindexed:content:search: in the status bar for a few seconds.
Now you can quickly change content: to ncontent: to search not-indexed content.
Yes, it seems from all you've said above about precedence, a macro like that suggested would probably be the best way to go at it.
(It works quite nicely, I like the conciseness)
Thanks