Display Name does not utilize set highlight like other Columns do

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Display Name does not utilize set highlight like other Columns do

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Under the

Tools > Options... > Advanced > findbar_highlight_foreground_dark_color

user is able to set a color indicator for whatever signs user is looking for in names and extensions of items. Unfortunately this highlight is applied only in the Column of Extension and Name - but not in Display Name

I am using Everything 1.5.0.1367a x64 Portable
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Re: Display Name does not utilize set highlight like other Columns do

But if under the

Search > Organize Filters

I have a Filter with such settings

Code: Select all

Search
:\$recycle.bin\ !$I <search: | displayname:search:> columns:dm;property-system:system.recycle.datedeleted;extension;size;path;length;displayname;system.recycle.deletedfrom;name;type

Macro
bin<search>
and use it, then that highlight option gets applied to Display Name and not the Name i.e. a switcheroo happens and its trigger is a Filter

[Initially I wanted to post this very fresh observation in this topic viewtopic.php?p=64139 but it think it is a different kind of issues thus it would clutter that thread; and also all those various issues with Recycle Bin are already reported there are giving me headache]
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

use is able to set a color indicator for whatever signs user is looking for in names and extensions of items. Unfortunately this highlight is applied only in the Column of Extension and Name - but not in Display Name
and use it, then that highlight option gets applied to Display Name and not the Name i.e. a switcheroo happens and its trigger is a Filter
I'm unable to reproduce the issue.
Could you please send a screenshot to support@voidtools.com

Everything will highlight your search terms in the Name, Extension and Display Name columns.

Everything will only highlight your Findbar terms in the Name column.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Below is a showcase with an additional issue that I have just noticed

Notice how searched for
wav
is not highlighted in Display Name:
Everything's Inconsistent Highlight From Search Edit #1.jpg
Everything's Inconsistent Highlight From Search Edit #1.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 871 times

Notice how searched for
a
is highlighted in Extension fort the TTA file but not for WAV files - and at the same time
a
is not highlighted at the beginning of folders starting with amd64 and in a middle of folders in words Baseus:
Everything's Inconsistent Highlight From Search Edit #2.jpg
Everything's Inconsistent Highlight From Search Edit #2.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 871 times
Notice how searched for
a
is now highlighted in Extension also when it is in WAV files after changing default Filter to that of mine set beforehand for showing content of Recycle Bin system folder* - plus how this fixed the issue of Display Name not succumbing to highlight:
Everything's Inconsistent Highlight From Search Edit #3.jpg
Everything's Inconsistent Highlight From Search Edit #3.jpg (977.07 KiB) Viewed 871 times
[*Previously I spoke of a switcheroo happening - but back then I must have made a mistake or was experiencing this glitch in a sligtly different way than I experience it now]
void
Developer

Post by void »

These are the expected results.

When your Everything filter is active, Everything will search filenames.

Any matches are highlighted in the Name column, Extension column and Path column (if Match Path is enabled).

Extension is a part of the Name.
If there's any part of the extension highlighted in the Name, then it is also highlighted in the Extension column.

When your Recycle Bin filter is active, Everything will search filenames AND the Display Name.

Everything will highlight matches in the Name column, Extension column, Path column (if Match Path is enabled) and the Display Name column.

This might be easier to see without the Recycle Bin filter active:

Searching for the following will highlight terms in the Display Name column:
displayname:a

Searching for the following will highlight terms in the Name column and Extension column:
name:a

(the extension column highlighting might be a little unexpected here -Everything is just copying the highlighting from the Name)

Searching for the following will highlight terms in the Display Name column, Name column and Extension column:
displayname:a | name:a
Thy Grand Voidinesss

So the short answer is [as I have understood it and tested out the following approach]: turn on the Match Path; which can be applied globally in menu of Search or individually for each Filter in their settings?

Thank you for clearing this out

But- why does Match Path do not apply itself to the Column of Original Path, now that I have turned it on globally?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Original Location is not a native Everything property.

Everything doesn't know what Original Location is..
It is supplied by the OS.

Enabling Match Path will not search Original Location.

To search for an Original Location, please include the following in your search:

property-system:system.recycle.deletedfrom:"my search"
(or right click the Original Location column header and click Search for Original Location)

For example:
property-system:system.recycle.deletedfrom:"C:"

C: will be highlighted in under the Original Location column.

If you wanted to match Original Location as well as the name and display name with your recycle bin filter, please try the following filter search:

:\$recycle.bin\ !$I <<search:> | displayname:<search:> | property-system:system.recycle.deletedfrom:<search:>> columns:dm;property-system:system.recycle.datedeleted;extension;size;path;length;displayname;system.recycle.deletedfrom;name;type
Thy Grand Voidinesss

void wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:12 am [...]
To search for an Original Location, please include the following in your search:

property-system:system.recycle.deletedfrom:"my search"
This works; but is inconvenient

void wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:12 am (or right click the Original Location column header and click Search for Original Location)
This still works; and is more convenient to use

But this
void wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:12 am [...]
filter search:

:\$recycle.bin\ !$I <<search:> | displayname:<search:> | property-system:system.recycle.deletedfrom:<search:>> columns:dm;property-system:system.recycle.datedeleted;extension;size;path;length;displayname;system.recycle.deletedfrom;name;type
does not seem to work; i.e. it Original Path is unaffected
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1367a adds a Date Deleted and Original Location property.

Please try the following search:

:\$recycle.bin\ !$I <<search:> | displayname:<search:> | original-location:<search:>> columns:dm;date-deleted;extension;size;path;length;displayname;original-location;name;type

I have on my TODO list to review the function syntax for property-system: as this currently does not support subexpressions (<>)
However, with the newly added original-location: support, it makes this moot.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

void wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:14 am [...]

:\$recycle.bin\ !$I <<search:> | displayname:<search:> | original-location:<search:>> columns:dm;date-deleted;extension;size;path;length;displayname;original-location;name;type
As the above seems to work now - is thus there a point of me waiting for this update:
void wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:14 am I have on my TODO list to review the function syntax for property-system: as this currently does not support subexpressions (<>)
[...]
?
void
Developer

Post by void »

is thus there a point of me waiting for this update
No.
This was in reference to:

property-system:system.recycle.deletedfrom:<search:>

This filter search does not currently work as < and > are not supported yet.
I am working on adding < and > support.
It's likely the above search will work in the next alpha update.
For now, use the following instead:

original-location:<search:>
Thy Grand Voidinesss

So right now when I use this Filter

and have the Match Path option turned on I see highlight in Path, Extension, Name, Display Name - but if I turn this Filter off then the Display Name stops showing it

How to make Display Name utilize highlight indications always?
void
Developer

Post by void »

There's no option to do this.

The Display Name is a property, not the filename.

Only matches from your search are highlighted.
You will need to search with displayname: to highlight matches under the Display name column.

For example:

displayname:abc
displayname:"abc 123"
abc | displayname:abc
"abc 123" | displayname:"abc 123"
Thy Grand Voidinesss

I do not know what / how these variants should filter out

test | displayname:test
"test 2" | displayname:"test 2"
but using something like these

displayname:test
displayname:"test 2"
does work - but unfortunately not when I use that Recycle Bin oriented Filter of mine. Because then [when I switch to it] I have to use just

test
test 2
in the box of Search Edit

And so, as
void wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:24 am There's no option to do this.

The Display Name is a property, not the filename.
[...]
right now a second way to workaround this [if I do not want to indulge in having to write

displayname:
in Search Edit constantly or keep selecting a Bookmark working in same way] I would be to create a pseudo-default Filter named e.g. Everything-but-with-Display-Name-support that would have its Search field set to something like just

displayname:<search:>
[this does not work] and use it instead of the really default Filter named Everything?

How about if aside from

Search > Match Path

there would also be option

Search > Match (System) Properties

or / and even better working

Search > Match Property of Display Name

because such one would be precisely targeted?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I am considering a search -> Match indexed properties option.

Thank you for the suggestions.

A better approach might be to fire up another instance just for your recycle bin:

Start a Recycle Bin instance of Everything by running:
Everything.exe -instance "Recycle Bin"
Import your settings under Tools -> Import and Export Settings.
Setup this instance to index only your Recycle Bin under Tools -> Options -> Folders.
Setup a filter to search only the display name:
Filter Name: Display Name
Filter Search: #[REPLACETERMS:$param:,"displayname:#TERM:"#]:
In your main instance, remove the Recycle bin from Tools -> Options -> Folders.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Although I can imagine a specific use case scenarios where user would benefit from using more than one instance of Everything, for me the overall convenience of Everything is coming out in part from ability to quickly apply any Bookmark I had set up and in ever bigger degree to cycle through Filters while having still the same expression in Search Edit. Thus being forced to open / switch to another window would diminish this; and on top of this such modus operandi would also create a need to maintain a unification od two configurations but with some sort of visual UI indicator to differentiate this alternative version from main one

So for now I need to remember this duality of behavior between Name and Display Name [and use the second one only through that Recycle Bin filter of mine] - and hope for this

Search > Match Indexed Properties

to become reality some day
mariamatcha

Post by mariamatcha »

There really are people who seem to forget that the program is freeware, and come to make a lot of meaningless demands. One after another.
I just want to add for @void that there are users who really appreciate all your hard work, even though there are users who make us all look like rats.