Mess in Everything downloads and versions

General discussion related to "Everything".
mczerski

Mess in Everything downloads and versions

Post by mczerski »

Sorry, but I am getting lost with all that download and version system of ET.
I wanted to reinstall my former 1.5.0.1275a (x64) Portalbe, but I was afraid that the original zip file I have in my computer may have been infected. So I looked for a fresh file on your download page. And what I see there? That the latest version of Everything portable 64-bit is 1.4.1.1017.x86-Setup.exe, whilst the latest install version displayed there is Everything-1.4.1.1017.x64-Setup.exe.
So I looked into the announcement section and the latest version mentioned there seems to be "Everything" version 1.5.0.1238a of 2021 whilst my former version has a higher version number!!! To make all that still more mysterious, my former 1.5.0.1275a (x64) Portable in its description under Help – About Everything – does not mention that it is an Alpha version. I do appologize that I may sound slightly irritated, but to satisfy such an easy need of a user as access to the latest version of software should not require time-consuming enquiries which eventually occur futile. :) So what is the actually latest portable version for 64-bit machines and where I should look for it to download?
AS disappointed as I may be today, I still do appreciate your service and advice which has always occurred excellent.
Best regards
raccoon

Re: Mess in Everything downloads and versions

Post by raccoon »

The latest portable version of Everything 1.5 Alpha is Everything-1.5.0.1315a.x64.zip (voidtools.com/forum/) as of 26 June 2022.

The latest portable version of Everything 1.4 is Everything-1.4.1.1017.x64.zip (voidtools.com/downloads/) as of 26 June 2022.

To get to the most recent Alpha release in the future, visit the Forums, click on Everything 1.5 Alpha, then click on Announcements: Everything 1.5 Alpha, then click on Download or scroll down.

Dear @void: Please delete the top post from viewforum.php?f=9 or possibly retire that subforum.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks raccoon,

I have cleaned up the announcement post.
The 1.5 announcement post has always linked to the latest 1.5 alpha.

Once Everything 1.5 becomes beta I will create a link on the main downloads page.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I also thought it weird that it says 1.4.1.1005 not 1.4.1.1017
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

raccoon wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:54 pm The latest portable version of Everything 1.5 Alpha is Everything-1.5.0.1315a.x64.zip (voidtools.com/forum/) as of 26 June 2022.

The latest portable version of Everything 1.4 is Everything-1.4.1.1017.x64.zip (voidtools.com/downloads/) as of 26 June 2022.

To get to the most recent Alpha release in the future, visit the Forums, click on Everything 1.5 Alpha, then click on Announcements: Everything 1.5 Alpha, then click on Download or scroll down.

Dear @void: Please delete the top post from viewforum.php?f=9 or possibly retire that subforum.
Thanks for your reply. I see from the note of another user, that I am not the only one who feels lost with the problem. In fact, my problem is that my current version of ET does not want to integrate with Total Commander (or TC does not want to integrate with it) although ET is run as service and as such works perfectly, and TC claims that ET is not installed. I though an other version of ET will perform more "friendly" for TC. However, after extensive research of ET and TC fora, I feel I will give up making my TC as fast as ET.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

mczerski wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:22 pm Thanks for your reply. I see from the note of another user, that I am not the only one who feels lost with the problem. In fact, my problem is that my current version of ET does not want to integrate with Total Commander (or TC does not want to integrate with it) although ET is run as service and as such works perfectly, and TC claims that ET is not installed. I though an other version of ET will perform more "friendly" for TC. However, after extensive research of ET and TC fora, I feel I will give up making my TC as fast as ET.
The 1.5 Alpha version (test version) of Everything is run with a special Instance Name that can prevent integration with Total Commander. This is to prevent the experimental test versions from interfering with other software.

Other forum threads address how to configure this. I don't know if this is the most current advice, but it's the most recent post I found.
-> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11245&p=44567&hili ... der#p44567
tuska

Post by tuska »

raccoon wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:39 pm ... I don't know if this is the most current advice, but it's the most recent post I found.
-> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11245&p=44567&hili ... der#p44567
Yes, this is a variant that I can recommend and have implemented in my case (this one seems future-proof to me).

However, there are other variants that are easier and with less effort to implement, please see here for details and explanations:
13. SETTINGS: For 'Everything' in Total Commander & 'Everything' -> from 'Everything' Version 1.5

I consider the following to be the simplest variant to integrate Everything for search queries in Total Commander
[using Everything parameters]:
  1. Total Commander: wincmd.ini - Section: [Configuration] -> Everything=Path\to\Everything64.exe -startup
    The path to Everything64.exe must be adjusted! Example: Everything=C:\Everything\Everything64.exe -startup

2. Everything.ini: alpha_instance=0
    Open Everything 1.5 -> Tools -> Debug -> Config -> add ... alpha_instance=0 -> save -> exit -> Everything: Reload configuration file? Yes.
    - The file "Everything.ini" with the parameter: alpha_instance=0 must be in the same location as the file "Everything64.exe".
    - The parameter: alpha_instance=0 (or alpha_instance=1) is IGNORED if the file "NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE",
       which is located in the same place as the file Everything64.exe, exists.

3. From this point on, searches can be made in Total Commander with Total Commander parameters ed: and ev:
    using Everything and Windows Search (Windows Search only if Everything was integrated).
    Examples - please look at the following points in the documentation:
      1. TC Parameter --> ed:
      2. TC Parameter --> ev:
    14. Windows Search in Total Commander and 'Everything' -> from 'Everything' 1.5.0.1258a (7.5.2021)
          Everything parameter si:, systemindex: or self-defined (macro).
2mczerski
Please read through the linked topics.
Note:
- Pt. 2. ONLY THIS LINE has to be added to establish a connection between Everything and Total Commander!
- Pt. 1: This addition is optional - but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for various reasons!
If you have any questions, please describe what you entered and where.

PS: Updates
Everything -> Tools -> Options... -> General: [✓] Check for updates on startup
Everything.ini ... beta_updates=1 | https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/ini/#beta_updates

⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
Windows 11 Pro (x64) Version 21H2 (OS build 22000.778) | Switching from Everything 1.4 to 1.5
Everything 1.5.0.1315a (x64) -> Download | C:\Everything\Everything64.exe - "Portable on system drive C:"
⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
tuska

Post by tuska »

2mczerski

Have you already been able to establish a connection between Everything and Total Commander?
Only 2 entries(!), that should be doable...

Everything 1.5 Alpha required!

Mandatory entry:
2. Everything.ini: alpha_instance=0 -> connection between Everything and Total Commander is established.

Optional entry (highly recommended):
1. Total Commander: wincmd.ini - Section: [Configuration] -> Everything=Path\to\Everything64.exe -startup
    Adjust the path to the file Everything64.exe (64 bit) -OR- Everything.exe (32 bit).
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Warmest thanks to all who helped me in this thread. Now, my TC and Everything are fully integrated and work like a charm. I followed the advice posted by Tuska along with instructions referred to in his/her post.
I am sorry I reply only now. I was on long, long holidays away from my PC.
Best regards