How do free up memory (release) without having to re-start the computer every time?

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
Debugger

How do free up memory (release) without having to re-start the computer every time?

Post by Debugger »

How do free up (release) memory without having to re-start the computer every time?

therube

Re: How do free up memory (release) without having to re-start the computer every time?

Post by therube »

(Not particularly familiar with pagefile.sys, but by default...)

Does the size of pagefile.sys change?
(I wouldn't think it would, particularly, unless perhaps if you changed the amount of physical RAM.)
Does restarting the computer have any effect on its size?
(Again, I would not think so?)

(Though since you did bring up the topic, I did take the opportunity to delete 2 pagefile.sys that aren't, haven't been of/in use since 2018 [when I installed Windows after a drive went bad]. C: had 1 & H: had 1. C: is because I had an initial [unused] install into C:. H: not sure? E: is my system drive.)
horst.epp

Re: How do free up memory (release) without having to re-start the computer every time?

Post by horst.epp »

therube wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:58 pm (Not particularly familiar with pagefile.sys, but by default...)

Does the size of pagefile.sys change?
(I wouldn't think it would, particularly, unless perhaps if you changed the amount of physical RAM.)
Does restarting the computer have any effect on its size?
(Again, I would not think so?)

(Though since you did bring up the topic, I did take the opportunity to delete 2 pagefile.sys that aren't, haven't been of/in use since 2018 [when I installed Windows after a drive went bad]. C: had 1 & H: had 1. C: is because I had an initial [unused] install into C:. H: not sure? E: is my system drive.)
The pagefile.sys size can only be reconfigured and will be changed after an reboot.
There is no need and also no way to manipulate its current size in the running Windows.