Use the power of Everything in Explorer and File dialogs

General discussion related to "Everything".
LeoLUG

Re: Use the power of Everything in Explorer and File dialogs

Post by LeoLUG »

As of now, JumpToFolder doesn't work with Everything 1.5a. see here
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

LeoLUG wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:17 pm As of now, JumpToFolder doesn't work with Everything 1.5a. see here
It works !
As I said in the other thread
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Tonight I will post QuickSwitch (mentioned earlier in this thread), a spin-off of JumpToFolder .

I needed the QuickSwitch technology to bring JumpToFolder to the next level.
When QuickSwitch works without (major) issues, I can finally continue working on JumpToFolder.

I do have a version running here that supports Everything named instances. That would also support Everything 1.5a as that runs in a named instance too (using the default settings).

For now, you can use the method as described by Horst.

BTW: Nice to know that JumpToFolder is actually being used!
tuska

Post by tuska »

Coldblackice

Post by Coldblackice »

NotNull wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:05 pm Tonight I will post QuickSwitch (mentioned earlier in this thread), a spin-off of JumpToFolder .

I needed the QuickSwitch technology to bring JumpToFolder to the next level.
When QuickSwitch works without (major) issues, I can finally continue working on JumpToFolder.

I do have a version running here that supports Everything named instances. That would also support Everything 1.5a as that runs in a named instance too (using the default settings).

For now, you can use the method as described by Horst.

BTW: Nice to know that JumpToFolder is actually being used!
Awesome to have both of these available! This is a great -- and much needed -- feature, and although my preference would be this being a native feature, it's awesome for the time being that we have more than one option to go about it.

For years now I've been juggling a process of calling Everything, searching for a folder/path, copying the path, then switching back to the save dialog and pasting. Huge timesaver being able to do it all within the save/open dialogs themselves! Thanks for everyone's effort on this.
gazmoz17

Post by gazmoz17 »

Can somebody explain to me in layman terms what this does please?...is this to include Search everything functionality in Windows Explorer.

Using this method but its a bit messy:

Found this autohotkey script to send folder pathway into search everything.

Code: Select all

#SingleInstance, Force

#If WinActive("ahk_class CabinetWClass")   ; contextual Hotkey, run only for active windows of class 'CabinetWClass'
F7::
   ActiveID := WinExist()   ; ID of the 'last found' window by #If
   For w In ComObjCreate("Shell.Application").Windows
   {
      If (w.HWND = ActiveID)   ; test if ID (HWND) of the explorer window equals the one of the currently active window
      {
         StringReplace, Folder, % w.document.folder.self.path, `%20, % A_Space, All
         Run, % "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe -path " chr(34) Folder chr(34)
         Break
      }
   }
   w := ""   ; release object w.
Return
#If   ; end contextual hotkey
;If want to drill into highlighted folder in Windows explorer and search within highlighted folder Ive made this crude autohotkey script, don't understand the above auto hotkey script enough to edit. Just rightlicks and chooses the open in search everything icon. Saves clicking into desired folder then launching my F7 script.

Code: Select all

#SingleInstance, Force
#IfWinActive, ahk_class CabinetWClass || ahk_class EVERYTHING
F8::
MouseClick, right
Sleep, 100
Send, s
Send, {enter}
Return 
#IfWinActive
Prob not the correct place/related, but also how do I navigate up and down the folder hierarchy? I understand that SearchEverything is a search tool primarily and not a comparative to Windows Explorer. Just keen to streamline my work.

Thanks
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

gazmoz17 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 pm Can somebody explain to me in layman terms what this does please?...is this to include Search everything functionality in Windows Explorer.
Normally you have to browse from folder c:\a\b\c\d\this to x:\e\f\g\that.
Jump2Folder gives you the option to start Everything from withing File Explorer/file dialog, search for a foldername ("that") and force Windows Explorer/ file dialog to open that folder.

gazmoz17 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 pm Found this autohotkey script to send folder pathway into search everything.

Without using AHK:
  • In Everything, go to menu:Tools > Options > General
  • Enable Show Search Everything folder context menu item
Now you can right-click a folder in File Explorer, select Search Everything 1.5a... and Everything will open with that foldername in the search bar.
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

Hi, i'm having some issues with JumpToFolder.
Whenever i use it and select a file or folder and press Enter, the Everything window closes as it should, but the explorer dialogue doesn't jump to a folder and the filename input is filled with "\\" and the dialogue is 'confirmed', which results in Windows showing an alert with "The filename is invalid".

Maybe this is a localization/encoding issue, because this Windows installation is set to German?
It would be awesome if this can be fixed, because this tool is exactly what i need, it will literally save me hours if not days of work.
Thanks a lot!

Application here is Notepad, but the issue happens with all apps i've tested to far. OS is Win10 x64 Home 21H2. Everything: 1.4.1.1009 Lite (x64).

jump to folder issue.jpg
jump to folder issue.jpg (111.56 KiB) Viewed 31359 times
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

2waffeln
This may not be the reason for your problem
but why do you use the Everything Lite version ?
This version doesn't allow any tools to communicate with a running Everything.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

waffeln wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:52 am Maybe this is a localization/encoding issue, because this Windows installation is set to German?
It would be awesome if this can be fixed, because this tool is exactly what i need, it will literally save me hours if not days of work.
I don't expect the localization to be the problem (at this moment at least) as there are more people using this with a German Windows.

JumpToFolder expects the first column of the resultlist to be the name ("Name" in your case) and the second one to be the path ("Pfad").
do you have a different layout?

If that is OK, maybe there is an issue with that specific foldername. Could you try if C:\windows is passed along correctly?
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

2horst.epp

I'm using Lite because i don't need the missing features and i didn't know Lite was basically a version for enterprise for security. I'll be using the normal version moving forwards, since there are probably no tangible advantages of the Lite version for a home user like me.

2NotNull

I checked that, both columns are as you said (unmodified). I also tried jumping to C:\Windows using JumpToFolder with the same result (error) as before with "\\" being inserted.

I've uninstalled Everything Lite and installed the latest normal version from choco: 1.4.1.1015
Unfortunately clicking JumpToFolder now simply launches an Everything window as if i double-clicked the tray icon. The window title bar is not hidden, the window is not positioned over the explorer, and hitting Enter on a file or folder just opens it and doesn't jump to the folder in the explorer dialogue. I've already tried removing JumpToFolder and installing it again, also restarting Everything, but nothing changes. Also the AHK script doesn't seem to terminate which i think it did previously. I think it sticks around and gets killed by a new instance when i activate JumpToFolder again.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thanks for testing, waffeln!
Tomorrow I will send you a debug version that (hopefully) pinpoints to where this is going off the rails. It shouldn't be too hard to fix, but will require some back and forth posting.
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

Awesome, thanks a lot. Also happy new year :)
LeoLUG

Post by LeoLUG »

Since the last update, Jump To Folder stopped working,
By trying to open up a folder I got this MSG
Attachments
2022-01-21_094607.jpg
2022-01-21_094607.jpg (19.78 KiB) Viewed 30687 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

What was the foldername (including path) you selected? That way I can try to reproduce your issue.

I'm already rewriting JumpToFiolder and with the new way of handling things this should no longer be an issue.
Just today I got feedback from @waffeln that this new version works for him. Still a lot more to do, so in 1-2 weeks a new version will be posted here (if nothing else comes up ... again ...)
LeoLUG

Post by LeoLUG »

was on any folder i tried to open
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I have sent you a PM.
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

NotNull wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:28 pm P.S. If anyone has suggestions for a better name than "JumpToFolder": please let me know! I am not particularly fond of the current name.
"EveryWhere"? :D
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

I have a few suggestions for improvement:
  • create an online Git repository (e.g. on Codeberg or GitLab) so that it's easy to write a README.md with instructions and to easily get the latest version. Maybe it's just me not using this forum for anything else, but i found it a bit confusing to browse this thread to find the right files.
  • make the created Everything window resizeable and not take up the entire vertical space of the screen.
  • add 2x Shift + Tab keystrokes after the path was pasted into the Windows Open File dialogue so that the focus is on the file list. That allows easily selecting the file by using the arrow keys. By default, the focus is on the filename at the bottom of the dialogue, which is empty, so the file still needs to be selected from the folder. Maybe it's also possible to fill that filename field at the bottom with the filename a user selected in the Everything window and then it presses enter to close the Windows dialogue with the correct file selected. Note that i'm running the JumpToFolder 0.9.5 "beta" that NotNull gave me, so there might be differences to 0.9.2 in how this behaves currently.
  • JumpToFolder seems to add 3 whitespaces to the initial search of Everything. It doesn't break anything, but seems like an oversight, maybe from whitespaces inside the AHK script.
  • the desktop shortcut method in order to be able to use the keyboard to open JumpToFolder is really slow - on a modern Dell XPS with SSDs only. I think this is Windows' fault. It would be great to have a permanently running AHK script that immediately opens JumpToFolder when pressin Ctrl + Alt + J.
Last edited by waffeln on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

waffeln wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:12 am
NotNull wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:28 pm P.S. If anyone has suggestions for a better name than "JumpToFolder": please let me know! I am not particularly fond of the current name.
"EveryWhere"? :D
First try to write a description for the piece of software (a description you want to appear on software and technology websites), and then try to give it a name. It may help.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

waffeln wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 am I have a few suggestions for improvement:
Thanks for those, @waffeln!

waffeln wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 am create an online Git repository
I do have a Github account, where QuickSwitch can be found. Plan was (and is) to post JumpToFoldre there too, as soon as it reaches "1.0" level.

waffeln wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 am make the created Everything window resizeable
OK, will do that (but in a later version, when the 'technical parts' works without issues).

waffeln wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 am focus is on the file list
Good idea! Will implement that.

waffeln wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 am JumpToFolder seems to add 3 whitespaces to the initial search of Everything
That was intentionally; In the ini-file you could specify a JumpToFolder specific search to in- or exclude some folders that you (don't) need. 3 spaces were added at the end of that search.
I already removed that code. In the upcoming version you can create an Everything filter "JumpToFolder" and if it exists, that will be used. If it doesn't exist, the normal 'Everything' filter will be used.

Thanks, good suggestions!

waffeln wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:12 am"EveryWhere"?
That one was on my list too!! (even asked @void if I could use that name :))
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

waffeln wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 am make the created Everything window resizeable and not take up the entire vertical space of the screen.
I did some thinking on this. I have to capture al mouse-clicks to be able to detect a double-click (to select a file/folder). That causes dragging the borders to stop working.
The easiest way (that I can think of) to bypass that is to press ALT, SHIFT or CONTROL when dragging the window or titlebar.

In a previous version I automatically resized the Everything window to the size op the Open/Save dialog, but that meant a really small Everything window. In the curent version, it will use size of your ' regular' Everything.
What size should it be in your opinion?
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

That sounds good to me. Otherwise i would have said 20-40% larger than the Windows dialogue. Maybe that could be a setting, but having the window be the size of normal Everything seems like the natural solution without the need for a config entry.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

JumpToFolder now works without issues for @waffeln as well as @LeoLUG and a new version will be posted soon.

To be on the safe side, I would like to have this tested by 2-3 other people, preferably using a non-English Windows.
Anyone interested? You can post here or send me a PM
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Well .. no volunteers, unfortunately.

I will publish version 1.0 in a new fresh thread.

This topic is closed. See you on the other side :)