How to force indexing on only one volume?

General discussion related to "Everything".
burgundy

How to force indexing on only one volume?

Post by burgundy »

I have several disk volumes. I think "Monitor Changes" helps to force an index update when files are changed.

For most volumes I have got "Monitor Changes" set on. I use Tools > Options > Indexes: NTFS. But "Monitor Changes" is not set for all disk volumes.

When I want to search a disk volume which has a out-of-date index in Everything, I need to force Everything to update its index for that disk volume. How do I do this?

The Indexes page of Options allows me to force an index rebuild for all volumes but that is far more than I want and takes too long.
void
Developer

Re: How to force indexing on only one volume?

Post by void »

When I want to search a disk volume which has a out-of-date index in Everything, I need to force Everything to update its index for that disk volume. How do I do this?
I need to add an update now button when monitoring is disabled -added to my TODO list.

For now, you will need the Everything 1.4 beta.
  • From the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab.
  • Select the volume to update.
  • Uncheck include in database.
  • Click Apply.
  • Check include in database.
  • Click OK.
Its not the best solution, although this should be faster than forcing a rebuild.
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

Thank you for your reply.
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

void wrote:
I need to add an update now button when monitoring is disabled -added to my TODO list.

For now, you will need the Everything 1.4 beta.
  • From the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab.
  • Select the volume to update.
  • Uncheck include in database.
  • Click Apply.
  • Check include in database.
  • Click OK.
Its not the best solution, although this should be faster than forcing a rebuild.
I wasn't paying close attention to the reply (some time ago) because I hadn't got version 1.4.

Now that I have installed version 1.4 I have looed more closely at the inormation. I wonder if the last four steps are correct because you first uncheck "include in database" and then check it. Is this correct? I'm puzzled.
void
Developer

Post by void »

because you first uncheck "include in database" and then check it. Is this correct? I'm puzzled.
Yes, removing and re-adding the volume causes the single selected volume to be re-indexed.
boobounder

Post by boobounder »

I believe this is the best place for this further query.

I want to use Everything in two different situations. In one situation, I want only results returned from drive C. In the other I want results returned only from drive P.

I can do this by toggling on and off whether a drive is include in the database, under Tools. But this seems kludgy.

Is there a way to set this up? I'm using Windows, so something with options on the command line of a shortcut seems sensible to me.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try search filters:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Organize filters....
  • Click New....
  • Change Name to: C Drive Only
  • Change the Search to: c:
  • Click OK.
  • Click New....
  • Change Name to: P Drive Only
  • Change the Search to: p:
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
Filters can be accessed from the Search menu, Filter bar (View -> Filters), right clicking the status bar, filter keyboard shortcut or filter search macro.

Alternatively, please see running named instances of Everything.
This will let you run two instances of Everything, side by side, one instance can be set to index only your C: drive, while the other to index only your P: drive.

For example, setup up two named instances, one for your C: drive and one for your P: drive:
Everything.exe -instance "C: Drive Only"
Everything.exe -instance "P: Drive Only"

You will need to customize the indexes for each instance under Tools -> Options -> NTFS.

Also, back on topic, if you want to force a rebuild on only one volume simply type in the following search and press ENTER:
/reindex C:
where C: is the volume to reindex.
boobounder

Post by boobounder »

I don't see a thanks button, so thanks! That worked for me.
Paul123

Post by Paul123 »

void wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:28 am I need to add an update now button when monitoring is disabled -added to my TODO list.
Is this already inplemented and I missed it?
void
Developer

Post by void »

It is still on my TODO list.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

I have just sought advice as to reindexing a single drive and your advice has occurred excellent and working as it always has. Thanks a lot.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:35 am Please try search filters:
Thank you for this. I have been using Everything.exe since 1932 (it seems like :D ), and until I joined this forum, used Everything.exe only in a gross filename search, as in "Turing*.*".
Now at least twice a week during my morning forums/email session (courtesy of some other member's question) I sit-in on a digestible one-minute tutorial, and am slowly beginning to see the power behind Everything.
"It's not just blindingly fast, you know"
Bravo!
Chris