Everything don't remember my search history correctly

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
vsub

Everything don't remember my search history correctly

Post by vsub »

Maybe that's not how it suppouse to work but here is an example.

I made an AutoHotkey script that makes Everything act as explorer so when I click on a folder,it opens the folder and displays everything it it excluding the subfolders.
What it does is,when I click on a folder,it copies the location from the statusbar and place the location in the search bar as parent:"the location"

Like this
parent:D:\
then I click on a folder named 1
parent:D:\1
then I click in a subfolder named 2
parent:D:\1\2

When I go to View=>Go To,the previous location is parent:D:\ not parent:D:\1 and when I press the BrowserBack button on my mouse,it goes to parent:D:\

It's like the search history feature accepts only manual inputs or right click=>paste
AutoHotkey uses ControlSetText which places the text by replacing what it is the searchbar(it acts like Select All=>Paste without using the clipboard)

I can easily adjust the script to make it work the way I want but that would mean I will not use the everything search history

And btw this is little off topuc but for some reason,BrowserBack and BrowserForward(XButton1\2)are still doing the same thing even if you remove them from the hotkeys
NotNull

Re: Everything don't remember my search history correctly

Post by NotNull »

For a search query to end up in the search history, you have to follow it with an [Enter] or "do something" with one of the results. A single click on a folder is not seen by Everything as "did something"

ControlSetText just puts the text i the control. If you add a ControlSend or a Send {Enter}, it should be added to the search history (I think).

P.S. I wrote something similar! :D But that was in "pure Everything" (no external code). Wrote it for browsing EFU files. Still waiting till this suggestion gets implemented before posting.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I've modified the next version of Everything to add the current search to the navigation history and search history when using AutoHotKey's ControlSetText or sending WM_SETTEXT.
And btw this is little off topuc but for some reason,BrowserBack and BrowserForward(XButton1\2)are still doing the same thing even if you remove them from the hotkeys
Xbutton 1 and XButton 2 are hard coded to navigate backwards and forwards. I'll add an ini option to change the action of these buttons.
BrowserBack and BrowserForward only applies to keyboards with these media keys.
I've also noticed that Xbutton 1 and XButton 2 only function when hovering over the edit control or result list, I'll add support for WM_APPCOMMAND so it will handle Xbutton 1 and XButton 2 clicks from anywhere in Everything.

Thanks for your post.
vsub

Post by vsub »

Ok thanks.