Make Everything a Windows Explorer Replacement

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
lukefromal

Make Everything a Windows Explorer Replacement

Post by lukefromal »

This program has the potential to be a windows explorer replacement, like directory opus, but better. It does not need to be complicated.

I use windows explorer to move, cut, copy, search for, navigate, open, delete, rename, and create files and folders and their properties, and undo/redo these recent actions.

Everything does not currently allow me to:
Create files and folders
Undo/Redo last action (such as undo deleting a file, redo deleting that file)
Navigate into nested folders or out of nested folders

This seems like a relatively short list, if Everything could do these things, my need for windows explorer would drop to virtually nil (a good thing, because I like having an all-in-one solution, and windows explorer's search is probably going to stay at 'slow and useless', so I'm looking at you, Everything!).

There is also an area to VASTLY improve upon native windows explorer functionality - Everything currently has the best search implementation ever - why not apply it to two commands you already have under your Edit menu, I'm talking about Edit -> Copy to folder... and Edit -> Move to folder...
This currently uses a horrible tree dialog that makes us either paste the full path of, or slowly dig through a folder hierarchy. It would be much better if in addition to this, we could search (in an everything-fashion) for the folder or archive to move/copy the selected files/folders to. Search results would be like Everything's main window, except in a popup, and be limited to only searching for and displaying folders and archives (valid targets to move files/folders to).

Lastly, the cherry on top: When an Everything window is first brought up, and the Search field is blank, it would be useful to have a tree-based file hierarchy we can click into and navigate, similar to Windows Explorer's side panel, except displayed in a listview format and when we double click folders, it takes us inside that folder (not opens it in explorer). There also needs to be a breadcrumbs address bar at the top and the ability to navigate up out of a nested menu. The moment we type anything into the search field it should show the traditional everything listview search results.

I know it's a lot to ask for, but this program is already so close to being a fully functional explorer replacement, having a better search system, and potentially a blazingly fast move/cut/copy to... search for target system that would eliminate the need for 'dual panes' or 'double windows' like explorer or total commander or whatever use.
Janus

Re: Make Everything a Windows Explorer Replacement

Post by Janus »

There is a program, explorer++, an open source windows explorer replacement, that you may like.
In my own version I have already used Everything to get directory sizes, and it is fast, much faster than reading the disk, and most especially the lan.
When I get back to it, I will be making it so it falls back gracefully if everything is not running, or has no index.

I am also working on integrating everything to replace the built in search if Everything has an index.

The combination should provide a very workable replacement for the broken after vista, and terminally brain dead in win8 and later, explorer.

Once I have them working and stable, I will offering the code to the project.
Then if they want to include it, they can.
If they do not, I will be putting it upon my site as a personal fork.

Janus.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

@lukefromal
Developing takes time. I know there is a lot of planning for 1.5 version. I can't imagine how long it will take. Above a year probably.
I also was thinking about turning Everything into a kind of File Manager.
I afraid it will be too much for one developer.
Just think about all File Managers alternatives, and all Windows Explorer AddOns.
Everything will have a lot of work to do. It already has.
There was a discussion here about open sourcing. It's not so simple.
I would prefer that Everything will concentrate on developing its field of expertise. Searching.
aip1000

Post by aip1000 »

@Janus

Is your fork on Github?
Janus

Post by Janus »

@aip1000

No, I do not have an account on there, or any other such place.
I have my own domain for that.

I have also not worked out all the bugs yet for my wants.
I have the directory size from everything working, but I am having troubles with explorer++ crashing if everything is not running.
Still struggling with how to replace the dialog with an everything window.
As I have told many people, I am not a real C/C++ programmer, my skills and preferences are much lower level.

I have not made much progress on explorer++ lately because of work, and my attention has been on celestia.
I just got it working in 64-bit for windows using VS2013 & w/QT5.4/5.6/5.8 via QT creator.
If you are interested in astronomy it is up on celestiaproject dot net, the links are in the forum under development.

Thank you for the interest, it tells me I need to shift back to explorer++ with everything and get it working.

Janus.
aip1000

Post by aip1000 »

@Janus

I'm in the same boat. I'm a programmer by hobby and not profession, and C/C++ is past my level of comfort. I love astronomy, and Celestia seems pretty awesome. Thanks for the link