Problem with SRP

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
RaiGal

Problem with SRP

Post by RaiGal »

Hello there,
First of all i wanna say thanks for this great program,it really has helped me over the time more than any other program in my pc!Lately i have installed WinXP SP3 running on a limited user account and a Software Restriction Policy (as described here, http://www.mechbgon.com/srp/ ) along with SuRun ( http://kay-bruns.de/wp/software/surun/ ) which leaves no space for any virus.

However this seems to include Everything since if i don't run it as admin i don't get any result's and if i actually run it as an admin it will always crush/stuck as long as it opens.Any help please?

Thanks in advance!
David
Developer

Re: Problem with SRP

Post by David »

Everything will write the Everything.db to the same location as your Everything.exe file.
Try giving "Everything" unrestricted access to this folder.

Try running "Everything" in debug mode.
To run "Everything" in debug mode:
Run Everything.exe with the -debug command line option.

What is displayed in the debug console?
RaiGal

Post by RaiGal »

This is the message i get from debugging everything,it seems that Everything.db is not permitted to function as it should.

I made an exception for C:\Program Files\Everything as a path but it didn't work out.I'm still sort of new to the SRP policy so i am gonna give it a few tries.
RaiGal

Post by RaiGal »

Hello again,i have given my LUA full access permission to Everything.db,even the whole Everything folder but i keep getting the last results from debugging.Any thoughts that might help?Thanks
void
Developer

Post by void »

Would "Everything" have permission to create and write to the Errorlog.txt file in the "Everything" installation folder?
Are there any error messages in your Errorlog.txt file?
RaiGal

Post by RaiGal »

Well to be honest i dont really have any Errorlog.txt file.What i currently have in my folder is: Changes.txt,Everything.chm,Everything.db,Everything.exe,Everything.ini,Uninstall.exe.
RaiGal

Post by RaiGal »

Well,i have some good news and some bad news!Let's start with the good news,shall we?I did a clean install of Everything in my Admin acc and gave full permission at my LUA acc.It did worked under the admin acc meaning it scanned all the drives and created an index.However when i turned over to my LUA acc i couldn't get any results.I checked my newly created Errorlog.txt and here is what it says :

"11/26/2009 9:30:25 PM: Everything 1.2.1.371: d:\dev\everything\src\mu.h(534): mu::OpenVolume(): CreateFileW(): GetLastError(): 5: Failed to open volume \\.\C:
11/26/2009 9:30:25 PM: Everything 1.2.1.371: d:\dev\everything\src\mu.h(534): mu::OpenVolume(): CreateFileW(): GetLastError(): 5: Failed to open volume \\.\C:
11/26/2009 9:30:25 PM: Everything 1.2.1.371: d:\dev\everything\src\mu.h(534): mu::OpenVolume(): CreateFileW(): GetLastError(): 5: Failed to open volume \\.\D:
11/26/2009 9:30:25 PM: Everything 1.2.1.371: d:\dev\everything\src\mu.h(534): mu::OpenVolume(): CreateFileW(): GetLastError(): 5: Failed to open volume \\.\E:"

Which leaves me the impression,if i am not mistaken that Everything tries to index through my hard drives but cannot get throught cause of the permission.I though that just indexing files wouldn't need any admin rights,correct?
void
Developer

Post by void »

"11/26/2009 9:30:25 PM: Everything 1.2.1.371: d:\dev\everything\src\mu.h(534): mu::OpenVolume(): CreateFileW(): GetLastError(): 5: Failed to open volume \\.\C:
This error means "Everything" was denied read access to your NTFS volumes.

"Everything" requires admin privileges for read access to scan the Master File Table (MFT) on each NTFS file systems.
RaiGal

Post by RaiGal »

Hello again,i tryed giving admin privileges for my LUA account by doing the following.I selected the hard drive,properties,Security tab,"Permission for user".I enabled "Read & Execute","List folder contents","Read" options but get the previous message on my error log which makes me think i am not really doing it right!Aren't those the permission Everything has to have access to in order to function correctly?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Aren't those the permission Everything has to have access to in order to function correctly?
Yes, they should be enough to allow access.

"Everything" opens the volumes with GENERIC_READ, which is:
FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
FILE_READ_DATA
FILE_READ_EA
STANDARD_RIGHTS_READ
SYNCHRONIZE