Problem with Shortcut - DialogBox doesn't appear

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Stamimail

Problem with Shortcut - DialogBox doesn't appear

Post by Stamimail »

Running a broken shortcut in Windows will lead to this DialogBox:
I don't see this DialogBox when running broken shortcuts in Everything.
gdv

Re: Problem with Shortcut - DialogBox doesn't appear

Post by gdv »

??? I'm not seeing any image of the DialogBox displayed here.
SuperDude

Post by SuperDude »

gdv wrote:??? I'm not seeing any image of the DialogBox displayed here.
Here's the corrected link: http://www.vspbreda.nl/nl/wp-content/up ... e20131.png
gdv

Post by gdv »

SuperDude wrote:Here's the corrected link: http://www.vspbreda.nl/nl/wp-content/up ... e20131.png
I'm guessing you pulled that from the page HTML source, which I didn't think to do when I posted early this morning just before I hit the sack (although I did try refreshing the page a couple times). In my late night dullness I was guessing Stamimail might have inadvertently left out the image URL. ...I also meant to ask if anyone else could confirm the image was not displaying in Stamimail's original post, but forgot to add that.

So I thought I would go ahead and embed the image in this post for ease of viewing by others:

...but oddly, when I previewed this post and checked the HTML source of the preview page, the source code to embed the image was identical with the source code in Stamimail's original post.

...And then after that, the image also displayed properly in Stamimail's original post (which doesn't appear to have been edited).

... What???!!! :?

Unless a forum mod silently edited Stamimail's original post or the image fairies sprinkled some pixel dust on that image, I'm guessing a forum software bug, or more likely, a bug or overload in my Olde Opera (v12.17) browser cache accounts for my initial inability to see the image.
gdv

Post by gdv »

Getting back to Stamimail's original post, I can confirm the same behavior with Everything v1.4.0.713b (x86) on Win7.

Specifically, the attached dialog pops up after double-click on a broken shortcut from within Windows Explorer, but nothing at all seems to happen if double-click same broken shortcut from within Everything:
Problem with Shortcut (target file changed or moved).png
Problem with Shortcut (target file changed or moved).png (8.13 KiB) Viewed 5953 times
On a separate note, I'm still having trouble getting Stamimail's image (or my own copy of it using the same URL) to display. It stopped displaying almost immediately after my previous post, and will not re-display upon page refresh. Although I can usually get it to load and display in a separate tab using the image URL (http://www.vspbreda.nl/nl/wp-content/up ... e20131.png), the displayed image seems to disappear from that new tab after a few minutes spent on a different tab (the URL doesn't change; the image simply disappears and is replaced by a place-holder, making me suspect some overload on my browser or system).

I thought this was almost certainly on my end, probably because I was near the limit for Opera tabs on my system, but I have closed about half of my Opera tabs with no change in the image display problem, and I don't seem to have any image display problems on any other sites, or with my own attached image on this page, or on other voidtools.com/forum pages. (I'd like to restart Opera to test further, but I have several tabs open with content that needs to be saved before I can do so.) I also opened this voidtools.com/forum page in IE11 and Stamimail's original image will not display there either.

So now I'm thinking this must be something wonky with the voidtools.com/forum software, or (maybe more likely) with the server where Stamimail's original image is stored. Perhaps supporting the server possibility, on at least one attempt to load the image in a separate tab, I received the following 403 Forbidden error:

403 Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/071514_0753_Office20131.png on this server.

...However, a refresh of the page immediately loaded the image. But if this is happening when the voidtools.com/forum page is loaded, AFAIK that 403 error would not be seen and the image simply would not load.

So I guess the question still needs to be asked: Can anyone else confirm/disconfirm this problem? (If anyone can confirm, I'd be happy to start a new Bug Topic thread to report it.)

EDIT: FWIW, immediately after posting this reply, Stamimail's original image (and my copy of it) were displayed again in my Opera v12.17 browser. However, they disappeared again upon page refresh (my attached image remains visible), and they also still do not display in IE11.
therube

Post by therube »

(It appears that the "image" sites does not allow "hotlinking", & further it also probably has a referrer check. So you pretty much have to copy, then paste the link in order to see it. If you are happening to see it in these threads [other then what gdv posted], then it is only because it has been cached, locally.)
therube

Post by therube »

In XP, Windows Explorer says:
Missing Shortcut:
Windows is searching for xxxyyyzzz.exe. To locate the file yourself, click Browse.
At that point, it starts searching for xxxyyyzzz.exe (& if it found it somewhere, would presumably modify the shortcut [.lnk] changing the Target: to point to what it found).

From within Everything, clicking the .lnk, seems as if it is going about searching - but only for a relatively short period of time, but there is no dialog box or anything else.

So in this case, clicking a link in Windows Explorer (Desktop) differs from clicking the link in Everything.
gdv

Post by gdv »

therube wrote:(It appears that the "image" sites does not allow "hotlinking", & further it also probably has a referrer check.
Makes sense to me (although I don't know how to verify). I'm having a similar problem with the image in another Stamimail post here from a different external image site than the OP image above. In this case, the image won't display on the Everything forum page at all (i.e., even if I open the image in a separate tab so it is my browser cache, it still won't display on the forum page). However, I'm guessing this is an Opera 12.17 problem, as the image displays properly on the forum page in IE11.

[On the other hand, Stamimail images posted here and here (from two more external image sites here and here), do display properly on the Everything forum page.]
therube wrote:In XP, ...

From within Everything, clicking the .lnk, seems as if it is going about searching - but only for a relatively short period of time, but there is no dialog box or anything else.

So in this case, clicking a link in Windows Explorer (Desktop) differs from clicking the link in Everything.
So just to make this a little more explicit (if I understand you correctly), you are confirming the same "bug" in WinXP that Stamimail reported in Win8/8.1 (per Stamimail's image) and I confirmed in 32-bit Win7, correct?