Filter help (excluding a drive)

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
exploiteddna

Filter help (excluding a drive)

Post by exploiteddna »

I have 4 drives in my PC, and one of them is strictly used for file backup (managed by Windows).. so when im searching for files, more often than not I get a bunch of results that are essentially duplicated bc of the backup. 95% of the time, I don't care about the results on the backup drive. I would like an easy way of excluding the drive (without removing it from database in options > Indexes > NTFS, and without using the options > Indexes > Exclude feature).

I read a few threads about making a filter (i.e. creating a filter for just C: drive) .. but that wont work for me bc i have 2 other drives. So, if possible, I'd like to have my default searches include C: D: and E: but also have a fast way of including my backup drive F: if the need to search it arises.

Hope all this make sense.. Any advice or feedback is appreciated :D
void
Developer

Re: Filter help (excluding a drive)

Post by void »

Please try creating the following filters:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Organize filters....
  • Select Everything and click Edit....
  • Change the Search to:
    !f:
  • Click OK.
  • Click New....
  • Change the Name to:
    Backup Drive
  • Change the Search to:
    f:
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
Now the default "Everything" filter will search everything, except your F: drive.
Select the Backup Drive filter to search just your Backup Drive.

Filters can be activated from the Search menu, Filter bar (View -> Filters), right clicking the status bar, filter macro or filter keyboard shortcut.

If you wish to create a filter that truely searches everything (including your backup drive):
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Organize filters....
  • Click New....
  • Change the Name to:
    Everything (Including Backup Drive)
  • Leave the Search blank.
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
exploiteddna

Re: Filter help (excluding a drive)

Post by exploiteddna »

thanks so much @void !! I figured there was a way to pass a "not" logical operator but wasnt sure.. totally forgot about the ! thats often used in coding languages :facepalm: .. thanks for clearing that up, and for the detailed directions on how to get it all configured.

Also, I'm a longtime user of this software and it's by far the best i've ever used (and ive tried several others that claim to be fast.. nothing has come close to the performance of Everything). So, just wanna say thank you for the tool, and thank you again for the support! Cheers